SDD at RD

Anne

It's still terrible. Maybe worse because everyone there to get a boarding group has to find somewhere to go while waiting to be called. My brother was there Sunday and was at the back of the 7 am group headed to TSMM. The posted wait for Slinky was 120 minutes a few minutes after park open. 90 minutes later in the day. As Josh has repeatedly said, if you are not at the front of the pack at RD it's the worst time to do Slinky.

Maybe once MMRR opens that will pull more people from the Slinky RD rush.

Micah008

Agreed 100% with Anne.

Our first morning we were there at 6:30 for a 7:00 opening and were much further back waiting for SDD than we wanted to be and just did TSMM instead. The next HS morning we were there early enough (closer to 6:00) but then SDD was not running at RD, and everyone went to TSMM which got a huge wait right away. Finally on our 3rd HS morning were we actually successful at riding SDD (first time the entire trip), and even then it was a little more of a wait.

The crowds are so different now with the boarding groups, with a much larger group in the park when it opens.

I wish we had done our FP+ differently... but we didn't know how things were going to work with the boarding groups at 60 days before our trip.

^^ Can I ask what you wish you had done differently? We have 2 1/2 days planned Feb 27th & 28th. I thought I had may strategy set, but this is making me rethink things!

Micah008

^^ Can I ask what you wish you had done differently? We have 2 1/2 days planned Feb 27th & 28th. I thought I had may strategy set, but this is making me rethink things!
I would have gotten a SDD FP rather than one for RnRC... but everything changed with the FP Tiers starting Feb 19th. Now I think things are setup much better for what is in Tier 1 vs Tier 2, but almost everything was in Tier 1 for us.

I was there the morning of Thursday February 6th. Here is what I have in my notes:

5:50a – Lyft to HS from Pop Century
6:02a – arrive at HS
6:04a - through bag check and security, get in line, probably 7 or 8 people back
7:03a – let into HS
7:10a – held at Toy Story Land entrance
8:00a – Boarding groups open, I get group 57 (damn old iPhone!)
8:04a – ride SDD, second one of the morning
8:13a - ride Alien, no wait

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we will have to see if Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway helps pull people away at all. At the moment, you've got enough people present at rope drop to fill Rise of the Resistance's capacity for the entire day. For Slinky Dog Dash first thing in standby, you'll need to arrive 90 minutes before the park opens. I'd do it last thing at night or hunt for additional FP+ if you can swing either of those things.

bnoble

he's right
I'd do it last thing at night or hunt for additional FP+ if you can swing either of those things.
This has been hard to wrap my head around, because it was drilled into me so completely that rope drop was the way to see anything that was in high demand. But, I've definitely come around to the "do it at close" way of thinking, particularly for FoP and SDD. I am still thinking about rope dropping MMRR on the 5th--our last day there--but am not 100% sure I really want to try it. I think it will depend on how badly we want a second crack at RotR.