SDD or MMRR: That Is The Question

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
No word yet on FPP priority of SDD or MMRR yet? Any wild guesses about which would be easier to RD? There are so many variables with DHS these days with changing opening procedures that it’s really hard to plan. I’d like to RD one and FPP the other, but don’t really want to arrive at the park 1-1/2 hours before opening. Our trip is in early-May. We’ll have 2 partial days at DHS, mostly to see the new stuff. And yes, I do have FPPs already for MFSR on the other day.

paxsarah

If I had to guess, if the newness factor didn't exist for MMRR I'd say SDD would be the FP priority. We don't know MMRR capacity or reliability yet, but my impression is that MMRR's capacity will exceed SDD's. But the question is how much difference the newness factor makes in demand for MMRR and how long it will last, as well as any reliability issues. Unfortunately, that will take some time to figure out.

For my early March trip, I ended up betting on my theory mainly because when MMRR FPs became available I realized I wasn't willing to give up the SDD or MFSR ones I already had for my 2 DHS days. I figure if it's horrendous at rope drop and we skip it, we'll already be riding four* new-to-us rides at DHS (our last WDW trip was in 2018 before TS land opened) and we'll just catch it next time around.

* Assuming we manage to get a boarding group

mgarbowski

There are so many variables with DHS these days with changing opening procedures that it’s really hard to plan.
Today apparently people not in HS were able to get ROTR Boarding Groups. People practice even though they are not there and have always until today gotten to a point where it says you're not in the park so no group for you, but today they were assigned to groups. Nothing was announced and it presumably was a glitch. Nobody knows what will happen at HS from day to day: not CMs, not Disney IT, not Bob Chapek, and certainly not you or me.

bnoble

he's right
My intuition is that in May MMRR is going to be more popular due to newness. It looks like MMRR is *slightly* harder to get than the other two. Plus if I had to pick one to skip it would be SDD. I’d FP+ the former if you can.

mgarbowski

Those poor, poor guest relations cast members. What a miserable day they are going to face...
I only spent a few minutes looking at this in Twitter and the Dis, and saw multiple reports that yes, it was chaos and the CMs were completely unaware and very beleaguered. Also BGs were gone in 20 seconds.

moscow

Our plan for our early November trip is to FP+ MMRR and rope drop SDD. But that may change depending on what happens in the next 2 months. I think Josh did not have too difficult a walk back to SDD when he recently rope dropped it.

moscow

I only spent a few minutes looking at this in Twitter and the Dis, and saw multiple reports that yes, it was chaos and the CMs were completely unaware and very beleaguered. Also BGs were gone in 20 seconds.
I have already prepared my son for the strong likelihood that we will not get a BG for ROTR when we go in November. He is ok with that. He actually seems more interested in the MFSR ride, so we are following George's plan and planning on 2 half days at HS and getting a FP+ for it on our second half day. Who would have ever guessed that people would voluntarily be planning multiple days at HS on a single trip!

George

Today apparently people not in HS were able to get ROTR Boarding Groups. People practice even though they are not there and have always until today gotten to a point where it says you're not in the park so no group for you, but today they were assigned to groups. Nothing was announced and it presumably was a glitch. Nobody knows what will happen at HS from day to day: not CMs, not Disney IT, not Bob Chapek, and certainly not you or me.
Those poor, poor guest relations cast members. What a miserable day they are going to face...
OMG. Is it bad that I’m giggling a little bit? :RpS_unsure:

bnoble

he's right
I think Josh did not have too difficult a walk back to SDD when he recently rope dropped it.
He also got to the park almost two hours before it opened. There isn’t an attraction on God’s green earth I would do that for.

moscow

He also got to the park almost two hours before it opened. There isn’t an attraction on God’s green earth I would do that for.
Yeah, that's my big problem right now. I am not one to "vacation" by arriving 2 hours before the park even opens.

My issue here is that my 10 year old son has been a real trooper for the past 3 years with his sister fighting leukemia and mom and dad being totally caught up with that. He and I are taking this mother/son trip just to reconnect and have some time where he is the total focus. Unfortunately the one park that currently has all the rides he is interested in is HS. I have to come up with a plan that allows him to go on the rides that he has highlighted to me as "must dos" while not necessitating me having to get up and stand in line at the crack of dawn. I may end up doing 3 half days at HS in order for my son to be able to ride everything he wants without us having to arrive so early in the morning. We'll have park hoppers so that might make a 3 half day plan workable.

And then again, everything at HS might change before our early November trip . . .

Last edited:

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I was one of those that practiced from home and ended up with a real BG. What made matters more frustrating for guests in the park was that many were told they were wrong and it couldn’t happen by CMs. They should be trained to say things like it shouldn’t or we have no information on that to cover their butts in case Disney IT broke something but instead flat out told peopl they were wrong or lying. Meanwhile all of the guests had Twitter and discussion board sites with screen shots of it happening. Took a while before Disney management communicated to the CMs on the front lines at DHS. Not a good look on the guest relations front in addition to the fact that so many people were shut out of getting a BG.

Not a good day for guests or CMs.

bnoble

he's right
I may end up doing 3 half days at HS in order for my son to be able to ride everything he wants without us having to arrive so early in the morning.
As it stands, I think I am going to try the following for our upcoming week:

2 or 2:30-close on our arrival day. I have FP+ 2-3 Tower, 3-4 Coaster, 4-5 MFSR, and a 4:50P Oga's Cantina. We'll probably grab dinner at Docking Bay 7 after that, and then see what we can do in the last hour or so in the Toy Story area, hitting SDD at close.

One morning to try for a Bording Group, with FP+ at TSMM (9:50-10:50), Star Tours (10:50-11:50), lunch at Sci Fi, and 1:50-2:50 at SDD. We also have an anytime that we can use for MSFR. I made these when opening was at 9A, and didn't come around to changing them until it was too late. That 9:50 is probably way to late to start with FP+, and I don't know if we will stay in the park until 1:50---that probably depends on how the Boarding Group lottery goes. I expect to start rope drop riding Coaster and Tower as much as we can until lines get stupid long, which might only be 30 minutes or so.

I had one other morning planned. This is the second day of MMRR operation, so I was thinking about rope-dropping it. I am re-thinking that and instead wondering if I might try Bricker's Boarding Group/Epcot AM EMH combo. https://www.disneytouristblog.com/park-hopper-strategy-star-wars-rise-resistance/ I already only had a late-start day in Epcot, and this rebalances that.

f we are going to try MMRR, I might try it at close the evening before instead. Not sure about that. We may skip it this trip.

mgarbowski

Yeah, that's my big problem right now. I am not one to "vacation" by arriving 2 hours before the park even opens.

My issue here is that my 10 year old son has been a real trouper for the past 3 years with his sister fighting leukemia and mom and dad being totally caught up with that. He and I are taking this mother/son trip just to reconnect and have some time where he is the total focus. Unfortunately the one park that currently has all the rides he is interested in is HS. I have to come up with a plan that allows him to go on the rides that he has highlighted to me as "must dos" while not necessitating me having to get up and stand in line at the crack of dawn. I may end up doing 3 half days at HS in order for my son to be able to ride everything he wants without us having to arrive so early in the morning. We'll have park hoppers so that might make a 3 half day plan workable.

And then again, everything at HS might change before our early November trip . . .
What a lovely (yet sad) reason for your trip. I hope it is special and I hope your daughter is doing well.

As for planning, my trip is in August and FWIW I am assuming nothing.
Maybe they switch ROTR from BGs to FP+.
Maybe they let you get BGs outside the park on purpose.
Maybe they extend park hours to relieve pressure on capacity (HA!).

I am assuming that, even if ROTR does not switch to a FP+ system, there are enough rides that will be in Tier 1 and/or otherwise difficult to get FPs that it justifies 2 days in HS, even if not necessarily full days both times. I'm also assuming those FPs will be impossible to get until days 63 (or 64, 65, etc) so I'm planning on making FP+ at HS for the last 2 park days of my trip. And I have no idea how effective that will be. This is a long way of saying I think your I think your plan to devote at least 3 partial days to HS makes sense given how things stand and how fluid they are. Good luck.

moscow

What a lovely (yet sad) reason for your trip. I hope it is special and I hope your daughter is doing well.
She is doing really well. She came off of treatment last May after 2 1/2 years of chemo and her leukemia is now officially in "remission" (they don't let you use the phrase "cancer free" until 5 years off of treatment).

But now it is time to spend some quality time with my little man and he is very, very excited to go and see the new Star Wars land.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I picked the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) day to do one of these "practice getting a boarding group" things. I was completely dumbfounded to get a boarding group while sitting at a desk in NJ. I quickly deleted it.

I get the impression that WDW rushed to get RotR open. IT glitches, ride shut downs, running in B mode. Ouch.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
A friend was in DHS on Monday. She said she saw/heard lots of people unhappy with the RotR process letting CM's really have it. Not CM's in GE, but everywhere in the park--at other rides, in the stores, in line at quick service restaurants.

buistk

George and paxsarah - any chance you would be willing to share you park plan for your 2 HS days? We're also going for 2 days in August and I'd love to see how you're organizing everything. We've only been to WDW once 4 years ago and I don't feel confident in my plans :) Thanks!

paxsarah

I totally don't have a plan at this point. I have 3 FPs on 2 days each, and not much more than that. At this point here's my shell of my HS plans for our week:
Park day 1 - This is an Epcot day, but as long as we're not running late I think we'll try to swing into DHS before 7:30 to just enter the park, then try for a boarding group en route to Epcot.
Park day 2 - our first DHS day. I have FPs for RnRC, TSMM, and MF:SR. I originally thought we'd rope drop MMRR, but I'm actually seriously leaning toward picking a random day (we have hoppers) and getting in line for it at 8:25pm. If we don't, we'll probably rope drop TSMM and Alien saucers. We'll probably also go for a boarding group on this day even if we managed to ride it the previous day because why not?
Park day 4 - thinking about this being the day we hop to DHS in the evening to get in line for MMRR (because we can sleep in the next day, and we'll theoretically be coming from Epcot). I'll be paying attention to waits in the days after it opens to see if this is feasible.
Park day 6 (trip day 7) - our second DHS day. I have FPs for ToT, RnRC, and SDD. The last of these is SDD from 10:20-11:20. If we feel like we're done with DHS for the trip after that, we can dip out and go somewhere else entirely at that point. Boarding group only if we want/need it.

We typically only get base tickets, but I decided to splurge on hoppers this time and I'm glad I did. I also realized in this that I've got to find a time for Star Tours, but I'll figure it out and/or my refresh game is strong.

George

George and paxsarah - any chance you would be willing to share you park plan for your 2 HS days? We're also going for 2 days in August and I'd love to see how you're organizing everything. We've only been to WDW once 4 years ago and I don't feel confident in my plans :) Thanks!
My first day I have FPP for TSMM 9:00-10:00 and MFSR 10:50-11:50.
My second day I have FPP for TSMM 9:10-10:10, RnR 10:10-11:10, and MMRR 11:25-12:25.

I’m gambling that MFSR and MMRR are the two Tier 1 priorities; we’ll RD SDD one or both days and try for ROTR boarding groups on both days as well.