SDD or MMRR: That Is The Question

Anne

Interestingly this is what Josh predicts for tier 1 FP priority:

"Railway will almost certainly be the third-highest priority FastPass+ attraction from Tier 1, with Slinky Dog Dash still proving to be the most difficult to acquire, thanks to its relatively low capacity. Capacity at the Runaway Railway should be much higher and wait times likely lower. On the other hand, Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog Dash carry 38″ height requirements, while the Runaway Railway has no such restrictions. That never did much to push people towards selecting The Great Movie Ride as their Tier 1 FastPass+ selection, but I digress."

I read his post right AFTER I switched my Slinky FP to Railway. But ultimately decided to leave it. We've ridden Slinky many times and railway is new. If we miss Slinky, not a big deal. We likely won't ride everything at HS this time and that's fine. I'd rather miss rides at HS than have to go multiple days or have multiple early mornings. I can see how frustrating planning would be if you only have 1 chance and are not going back soon.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Interestingly this is what Josh predicts for tier 1 FP priority:

"Railway will almost certainly be the third-highest priority FastPass+ attraction from Tier 1, with Slinky Dog Dash still proving to be the most difficult to acquire, thanks to its relatively low capacity. Capacity at the Runaway Railway should be much higher and wait times likely lower. On the other hand, Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog Dash carry 38″ height requirements, while the Runaway Railway has no such restrictions. That never did much to push people towards selecting The Great Movie Ride as their Tier 1 FastPass+ selection, but I digress."

I read his post right AFTER I switched my Slinky FP to Railway. But ultimately decided to leave it. We've ridden Slinky many times and railway is new. If we miss Slinky, not a big deal. We likely won't ride everything at HS this time and that's fine. I'd rather miss rides at HS than have to go multiple days or have multiple early mornings. I can see how frustrating planning would be if you only have 1 chance and are not going back soon.

I know, I went back and forth too. But worst case, we can always do a RD for SDD. The variable is how the newness factor will contribute to MMRR lines/RD madness in early May, so I didn't want to wait and get shut out.

mgarbowski

By the way Josh has rather had it with the Hollywood Studios/ROTR situation and it's coming out on Twitter.

He's calling out social media influencers who don't report how hard it is to do things like ride ROTR or how crowded it is, and calling out Disney for decreasing hours, and shows, and character hours. The tweet here is just one of many. You need to scroll through his feed and also look at some threads and conversations in full to really get the flavor. He's always had an snarky edge which is why many of us appreciate him. This is reaching a different level.

bnoble

he's right
Yeah, even before seeing that, that sentiment is exactly why I am not planning a second morning in Studios, but doing the Studios/Epcot combo.

George

It will be interesting to see if anything will be done to alleviate the recant madness, if they actually move beyond the Blue Umbrellas, which deal with relentless complaints after the fact. I’m loathe to plan much more than Tier 1 things that we haven’t experienced yet, since there’s not much vying to keep us there beyond that, especially given unpleasantness of sharing a packed park filled with grouchy guests.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
By the way Josh has rather had it with the Hollywood Studios/ROTR situation and it's coming out on Twitter.

He's calling out social media influencers who don't report how hard it is to do things like ride ROTR or how crowded it is, and calling out Disney for decreasing hours, and shows, and character hours. The tweet here is just one of many. You need to scroll through his feed and also look at some threads and conversations in full to really get the flavor. He's always had an snarky edge which is why many of us appreciate him. This is reaching a different level.

Blog Mickey today--Don't Visit Disney's Hollywood Studios Right Now. I kinda hope this snowballs.

deedee73

Yeah, that's my big problem right now. I am not one to "vacation" by arriving 2 hours before the park even opens.

My issue here is that my 10 year old son has been a real trooper for the past 3 years with his sister fighting leukemia and mom and dad being totally caught up with that. He and I are taking this mother/son trip just to reconnect and have some time where he is the total focus. Unfortunately the one park that currently has all the rides he is interested in is HS. I have to come up with a plan that allows him to go on the rides that he has highlighted to me as "must dos" while not necessitating me having to get up and stand in line at the crack of dawn. I may end up doing 3 half days at HS in order for my son to be able to ride everything he wants without us having to arrive so early in the morning. We'll have park hoppers so that might make a 3 half day plan workable.

And then again, everything at HS might change before our early November trip . . .
By November many things may be changed truthfully they mat be totally different come April 1st ... kind of a wait and see. I would plan for the half days and 2 of those I would plan for the early morning. If u get a boarding - great. If not either RD something or head to a different park and RD something else. Possibly even head back for some R&R. Just stay positive and remember that the key here is for him to have a great time and for you to reconnect. No matter what - you will be with Disney with him and that will be amazing all around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

paxsarah

Park day 2 - our first DHS day. I have FPs for RnRC, TSMM, and MF:SR. I originally thought we'd rope drop MMRR, but I'm actually seriously leaning toward picking a random day (we have hoppers) and getting in line for it at 8:25pm. If we don't, we'll probably rope drop TSMM and Alien saucers. We'll probably also go for a boarding group on this day even if we managed to ride it the previous day because why not?
I have added to my excitement on this day by getting an 8:55 a.m. reservation to Oga's. I think maybe starting (or second breakfasting) the day with an overpriced thematic beverage is just the fun factor I need before I cross the park to ride RnRC.

George

Judging from FPP availability during my week (3-11 May), it looks like MMRR is even more popular than MFSR.

I recently changed my two Tier 1 FPP for my two DHS days to MMRR and SDD, after realizing that I really don’t care for Star Wars that much (or at all, actually), and that my desire for a MFSR FPP was more of a FOMO thing than an actual desire to experience it! I’ll still try for ROTR boarding groups on both days.

I’m still awaiting the “official word” about MMRR popularity and priority, but at this point I‘m locked in.

bnoble

he's right
We spent this morning at AK, where we got four laps in on Everest before deciding we didn't want to wait 10-15 minutes for a 5th. Dinosaur w/a <5 minute wait to pre-show (but only one side loading), followed by FP+ at Safari and FoP. An *excellent* lunch at Tiffins, one more lap on Everest (via FP+) and a trip back to SSR with the top down in the Mustang convertible. Not a bad morning.

We had originally planned to go to MK tonight, but the wait times overall in Studios look low enough that we think we might try our luck getting on MMRR in Standby near the end of the night. "Rode it on the first day" cred might be worth a wait.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Typically when new rides come online, they distribute fewer FP+ than what they'll end up distributing down the line because Disney isn't really sure what's actually going to happen when a ride opens. To be safe, I would take the Railway FP+ if it becomes available and plan on riding Slinky at the very end of the night, instead of the other way around, because that area in front of Great Movie Ride can be a fallout zone for the fireworks, and it's possible that they will tell you the ride is "at capacity" depending on the winds and whatnot. The bottom line is that any Tier 1 FP+ at Studios will save you 70 to 140+ minutes in line.

Linda B

We had fastpasses for MMRR and gambled on getting a boarding group for ROTR for last Wednesday. We got in the park around 8:15 and our boarding group was 117. Our group was called mid to late afternoon. Standby for MMRR was extremely long everytime we walked by the ride.

paxsarah

We had fastpasses for MMRR and gambled on getting a boarding group for ROTR for last Wednesday. We got in the park around 8:15 and our boarding group was 117. Our group was called mid to late afternoon. Standby for MMRR was extremely long everytime we walked by the ride.

Wednesday is the day when we stopped into the park around 5:30pm, got into MMRR line posted as 75 minutes, and were into the preshow in 39 minutes. Not bad at all!