Second guessing HS plans

nolarookie

I’m starting to have serious doubts about my HS plans. It’s four of us, me, hubs, and two sons ages 14 and 11. It’s on a Sunday with evening EMH and the park opens at 8 am. I be mid-late morning FPs for RnR and ToT, and an early afternoon Smugglers Run. The new Mickey Mouse railway ride will not be open.

my initial plan was to ride SDD first thing, but I’d rather not get there 90 minutes before park open. I can probably get there an hour early. My main priority it to try for a RotR boarding group. I figured we could head towards SDD and if it’s too crazy, peel off from the crowd and hit up TSMM.

I’m really freaked out about this boarding group thing. Can someone share their experience in how this works? If you get a group how are you notified?

For the RotR boarding groups, you're notified of your boarding group number right away when you successfully request a group at park open. Once your group is called, you get two hours to show up (probably better to spend most of this time touring if you get an early group). You'll want to allow push notifications for the MDE app, and you can always check which groups are currently boarding.

beachta1

my initial plan was to ride SDD first thing, but I’d rather not get there 90 minutes before park open. I can probably get there an hour early. My main priority it to try for a RotR boarding group. I figured we could head towards SDD and if it’s too crazy, peel off from the crowd and hit up TSMM.
I think that would be just fine. You can make a game time decision. If your group is willing to stay up late, you can always try to get on SDD at the end of the night. I think its more fun to ride in the dark!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
You might take a look at this https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/a-super-early-arrival-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-may-no-longer-be-your-best-bet-plus-updated-hours-and-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-strategy/ from "So What Does It Mean?" down.

For Rise of the Resistance, the keys are to have everyone connected properly in My Disney Experience, which you will already if you are making FastPass+. Then on the day of, you want to refresh the app by clicking back and forth between the two screens in that post. If others are getting boarding groups and "Join Boarding Groups" isn't illuminated on your app, then you want to immediately close the app entirely and reopen it. Then click Join Boarding Group, which should be illuminated. You can have everyone in your party try to get a boarding group to increase your chances of someone not running into any problems.

nolarookie

You might take a look at this https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/a-super-early-arrival-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-may-no-longer-be-your-best-bet-plus-updated-hours-and-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-strategy/ from "So What Does It Mean?" down.

For Rise of the Resistance, the keys are to have everyone connected properly in My Disney Experience, which you will already if you are making FastPass+. Then on the day of, you want to refresh the app by clicking back and forth between the two screens in that post. If others are getting boarding groups and "Join Boarding Groups" isn't illuminated on your app, then you want to immediately close the app entirely and reopen it. Then click Join Boarding Group, which should be illuminated. You can have everyone in your party try to get a boarding group to increase your chances of someone not running into any problems.
Thanks so much!

smwisc

I’m really freaked out about this boarding group thing. Can someone share their experience in how this works? If you get a group how are you notified?
If you want to read approximately 1456849 first-hand accounts (and not a few second- and third-hand accounts), there is a monster thread over at the "other" board with daily boarding group updates and experiences. People are "practicing" from home too.

nolarookie

ok, I “practiced” joining a boarding group this morning (I have the day off so I’m using that as an excuse for my nerd behavior), and there’s not much to it as far as I could tell. You don’t get very far if you haven’t scanned in.
My question now is I’ve read that having the MDE app open on more than one phone is recommended. Is this just in case of a glitch? Two people shouldn’t be trying to join a boarding group on the same MDE account at the same time, correct?

mgarbowski

Two people shouldn’t be trying to join a boarding group on the same MDE account at the same time, correct?
Yeah, you can try through multiple devices to see who gets there the quickest.
But I don't think they should be on the same MDE account. I'm not certain as I haven't done it and I'm assuming for now it willbe different by the time I get there in August. But I believe the idea is to make sure everyone in the party properly has everyone else in their F&F list in each person's MDE account. Then they each try and as soon as one person has success everyone else cancels and the "winner" puts everyone in his/her boarding group.

Micah008

... Then they each try and as soon as one person has success everyone else cancels and the "winner" puts everyone in his/her boarding group.
The problem with that scenario is that you don't have "success" until after you select the people you want in your group, then you actually get the number. It is actually the part of the process that slows some people down the most... since you have to go through your F&F list and select the people you want included (and make sure not to miss anyone).

So having multiple people going through this process can help to see who gets there the quickest... it doesn't really matter if same MDE account or separate, the key is selecting the right people quickly and hoping the internet connection doesn't fail you.

nolarookie

The problem with that scenario is that you don't have "success" until after you select the people you want in your group, then you actually get the number. It is actually the part of the process that slows some people down the most... since you have to go through your F&F list and select the people you want included (and make sure not to miss anyone).

So having multiple people going through this process can help to see who gets there the quickest... it doesn't really matter if same MDE account or separate, the key is selecting the right people quickly and hoping the internet connection doesn't fail you.
Thanks for the clarification. I’ve actually removed some of the people from my friend and family list to streamline the process. I’d assume I can add them back in later if they join us on vacation again.

annie415

But I don't think they should be on the same MDE account. I'm not certain as I haven't done it and I'm assuming for now it willbe different by the time I get there in August. But I believe the idea is to make sure everyone in the party properly has everyone else in their F&F list in each person's MDE account. Then they each try and as soon as one person has success everyone else cancels and the "winner" puts everyone in his/her boarding group.
. You can have multiple people logged in on the same account

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
Not only can you have multiple people on the same account inside DHS, people are enlisting friends & family at home to do the same thing. They can log on to the account, select the people that are inside the park and request a BG. With less competition on the wifi and data some are actually getting BG's this way before they can get them in the park. The more ways you can try, the better the odds.