Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Bong Joon Ho’s environmental fable about a girl and her pet “super pig,” which was bred by a big conglomerate bent on maximizing the financial potential of our food supply, is every bit as enchanting as Steven Spielberg’s ET: The Extra-Terrestrial, and every bit as entertaining as well. Tilda Swinton stands out (again) as the head of the company which develops this gentle giant, and the genre standards that Bong so effortlessly uses as social commentary (in The Host, Parasite, and Snowpiercer, among others) keep us glued to the story. Paul Dano, Jake Gyllenhaal, Shirley Henderson, Giancarlo Esposito, and Steven Yeun round out the ambitious cast. If you're looking for a good "family film" (fair warning, there are a few f-words) that's a bit above and beyond the typical, here's a good choice.

Strangeite

If you're looking for a good "family film" (fair warning, there are a few f-words) that's a bit above and beyond the typical, here's a good choice.

This has been on our radar for a long time but my youngest son just can't handle it if animals die and we've been afraid that might happen in this movie.

We had to stop Jurassic Park because the T-Rex ate a goat off screen.

George

This has been on our radar for a long time but my youngest son just can't handle it if animals die and we've been afraid that might happen in this movie.

Well, it does have that slaughterhouse theme to it....

George

Nomadland hits theaters and is up on Hulu today. Sure to be nominated for multiple Oscars, this is supposed to be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it.

George

Nomadland hits theaters and is up on Hulu today. Sure to be nominated for multiple Oscars, this is supposed to be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it.

Frances McDormand disappears into her role as Fern, a recent sixtysomething widow who loses her job when the local gypsum plant closes, killing her town as well. She takes to the road, living in and out of her customized van, traveling from town to town and taking jobs as a seasonal laborer. Many of the people she meets along the way are also van dwellers playing slightly fictionalized versions of themselves. The director, Chloe Zhao, has a keen eye for the landscapes of the American West, and McDormand’s performance is a study in listening, rather than talking; she acts with her expressions and hidden experiences of pain and loss. Miraculously, her story never devolves into a morose slug. Rather, her introspective journeys point to a fulfilling life over which she’s always in control. You can, and most definitely should, see this, now streaming on Hulu.

bnoble

he's right
We saw Raya tonight. A solid Disney animation entry. The plot was not exactly surprising, but it held together well, had both tender and funny moments, and was spectacularly “drawn”.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
We saw Raya tonight. A solid Disney animation entry. The plot was not exactly surprising, but it held together well, had both tender and funny moments, and was spectacularly “drawn”.
That seems to be the general consensus from other I've read that have seen it as well.

We're not ready to head to the theatre quite yet and I doubt we'll spend the $30 for advanced viewing so we'll probably wait until it is "free" on Disney+.

bnoble

he's right
We used it as an excuse to try out the Watch Party feature with my daughter who lives out of state. For the three of us it was cheaper than going to the theater, and stovetop popcorn tastes better too.

Last edited:

George

I didn't like the Elote when I tried it. I am making the popcorn in coconut oil, and it's delicious.

That’s good too.

I’ve tried part bacon fat, but it didn’t deliver on the flavor like I thought it should.

Auto

At work we use jalapeños in the oil while it is heating up, then the popcorn...has the potential to smoke out the office but it is tasty

RetroCOTfan

I watched The History of Time Travel (it's available on Prime). It's a fictional documentary about the invention of time travel, the effect that had on the men who invented and their family, and the unforeseen consequences. It's a small-budget film that starts off a little dry, but once the machine is invented the story really begins to take off. The closer you pay attention, the more rewarding this film is. Clocking in at just over an hour, it's a fun bit of "scifi" entertainment.

geek1997

We re-watched Wolfwakers this weekend. We are fans of (almost) everything put out by Cartoon Saloon - so far limited only by the fact that we haven't seen all of the movies/shows. Song of the Sea is quite lovely. It's been a while since we've watched The Secret of Kells so it's next on the list.

All great candidates for St. Patrick's Day family movies. :)

Alcachofa

Anyone seen Mank? Should I watch Citizen Kane again beforehand? I haven't seen CK in, oof, probably 25 years, so I've forgotten most of it. (Citizen Kane is on HBO Max, btw.)

George

Anyone seen Mank? Should I watch Citizen Kane again beforehand? I haven't seen CK in, oof, probably 25 years, so I've forgotten most of it. (Citizen Kane is on HBO Max, btw.)

Watch Citizen Kane. Skip Mank. But seriously, it’s a gorgeous looking movie, but it plays like the pet project it is (Fincher’s late father wrote the screenplay), and apart from a few tally scenes, it never gets off the ground. I suppose there was a good story in there somewhere, but it didn’t grab me. And I’m a huge Welles and Kane fan. Those unfamiliar with the behind-the-scenes story will be totally lost.