Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

RetroCOTfan

Watch Citizen Kane. Skip Mank. But seriously, it’s a gorgeous looking movie, but it plays like the pet project it is (Fincher’s late father wrote the screenplay), and apart from a few tally scenes, it never gets off the ground. I suppose there was a good story in there somewhere, but it didn’t grab me. And I’m a huge Welles and Kane fan. Those unfamiliar with the behind-the-scenes story will be totally lost.
It felt like it was made solely for the purpose of garnering Oscar nominations. Because if there's anything Hollywood/the Academy loves, it's movies about making movies in old Hollywood.

Alcachofa

OK, I'll put Nomadland on my list next instead. ;)

Oh, and I ended up watching Citizen Kane again anyway. Not sure how I found 2 hours, but somehow I did.

Not That Josh

Those unfamiliar with the behind-the-scenes story will be totally lost.

I was wondering about that. I haven't watched Mank yet, but I have seen some interviews and it seemed like people need to know the back story. I think I know most of it, but there may be aspects I don't know.

That's a small target audience for a film.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I was wondering about that. I haven't watched Mank yet, but I have seen some interviews and it seemed like people need to know the back story. I think I know most of it, but there may be aspects I don't know.

That's a small target audience for a film.

I consider myself knowledgeable about this much more than the average moviegoer; I’ve read a couple Welles biographies, film histories, etc., so I knew who most of the people were. But the screenplay does an awful job of introducing the players to those who might not know much going in. That’s one of the huge problems I had with it. I really wanted to like this. But man, that cinematography was off the charts beautiful.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Emerald Fennell (Call the Midwife, Killing Eve, Fleabag, The Crown) makes her pitch-perfect directorial and film screenwriting and producing debut with Promising Young Woman, a black comedy/thriller rape revenge fantasy that’s at turns enormously entertaining and horrific. Coming at just the right time, this story of an ex-medical student avenging the rape of her best friend portrays how that original crime and it’s unfair ramifications affect the victims and, much less sympathetically, the perpetrators. Carey Mulligan continues to choose challenging and varied projects that showcase her formidable talents (I’m a huge fan of her performance in 2010’s Never Let Me Go), and deservedly has an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for this. More than just a psycho-killer drama like the dreadful Fatal Attraction, the film opens the discussion of the injustices of the woman’s word vs. the Good Ol’ Boys protective environment. You can rent this on many streaming platforms for $5.99. Do it.