Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Nia

I sow Black Widow on Disney plus and I have to say, it's not made for small screen. I love Marvel movie in the cinema. Hope it's just the same

josh

Administrator
Staff member
"The Green Knight" was good but I think I only understood one out of every 20 words spoken. And as far as I could tell it was English.

"Loki" was disappointingly short and apparently a second season isn't on tap for about two years. At least it will be quick to catch up! As long as you understand multiple universes and watch all of the other Marvel stuff and whatnot. So ~200 hours of background for four more hours of content. Solid investment.

geek1997

The Mysterious Benedict Society has been very enjoyable. My 10yo and MIL binge watched it while she was visiting this summer and she insisted on re-watching it with us. I'm not mad about it. The cinematography is very Wes Anderson-esque. I have NOT read the books so I can't speak to whether or not the show is true to the story.

We also saw Barb and Star not long ago. It knows what kind of movie it wants to be and leans way in. The evil sidekick character is cringy - I'm surprised it wasn't cut/modified. But the movie is on par with Austin Powers, if that's your thing.

MaelstromFan19

We saw Free Guy a few weeks ago as our first time back to the theatre in a very long time. We all thought it was really very good
and the plot had a bit more depth than it seemed from the previews.

Strangeite

"The Day Sports Stood Still" on HBOMax is an excellent documentary. One interesting thing I had not read anywhere else was how the NBA used MagicBands for their bubble. The players had to provide health details every day into a bespoke app and depending on the input, the players MagicBand would grant them access to different areas.

RetroCOTfan

Val on Prime was an interesting--and ultimately very sad--glimpse into the life of Val Kilmer, as told by Val himself. It uses quite a bit of "home movie" footage he shot himself over the years and includes some great behind-the-scenes footage from Val's career. His son provides the narration (for reasons that quickly become clear), and his voice is remarkably similar to a young Val (at least to my ear).

I was remotely aware that he had faced health issues, but I had no idea the extent. And if I had passed him on the street before seeing this, there's exactly zero chance I would have recognized him. An interesting, and tragic, look into the life of a guy who I've enjoyed watching in quite a few projects, and a reminder of just how fragile life is for all of us.

U

User56767

Come From Away is an award-winning Broadway musical now available on Apple+. Similar to Hamilton, the stage performance was filmed live over a few performances and assembled into the movie. My wife has been wanting to see it FOREVER (the touring production was scheduled for spring 2020 in our town, but was cancelled). It was REALLY great. It's like the Ted Lasso of musicals. Really fantastic.

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
Come From Away is an award-winning Broadway musical now available on Apple+. Similar to Hamilton, the stage performance was filmed live over a few performances and assembled into the movie. My wife has been wanting to see it FOREVER (the touring production was scheduled for spring 2020 in our town, but was cancelled). It was REALLY great. It's like the Ted Lasso of musicals. Really fantastic.
I’m going to dissent on this one, even though I haven’t seen it. It seems I might be one of the only people in the world who thinks so, but this looks so sickeningly sweet, so self-congratulatory, so “earnest,” that I don’t think I could get through it without turning it off. Every clip I’ve seen of it is cringeworthy. Blech.

PS: I kind of think of Ted Lasso Season One the same way; I haven’t started Season Two yet.

kfernandes

Malignant -silly and ridiculous, but well shot at times. I was hoping for a good scare. Annabelle Wallis' acting at times gave me Shelley Duvall from The Shining vibes, which is not a compliment. I'm not sure it was her fault as much as the direction.

U

User56767

I’m going to dissent on this one, even though I haven’t seen it. It seems I might be one of the only people in the world who thinks so, but this looks so sickeningly sweet, so self-congratulatory, so “earnest,” that I don’t think I could get through it without turning it off. Every clip I’ve seen of it is cringeworthy. Blech.

PS: I kind of think of Ted Lasso Season One the same way; I haven’t started Season Two yet.
I saw the clips but didn't really understand them, not knowing much about the story or the characters. But if you're in the minority of people who dislike Ted Lasso then Come From Away is probably not going to resonate with you.

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
I saw the clips but didn't really understand them, not knowing much about the story or the characters. But if you're in the minority of people who dislike Ted Lasso then Come From Away is probably not going to resonate with you.
I’m not so sure I’m in the minority, about either. They both seem to be divisive works.

ThemeParkCommando

I watched "Cry Macho" over the weekend. It was a nice story, a few holes and definitely not Clint Eastwoods best. Worth a watch if you are a fan of Eastwood, or just like Hallmark style movies.

U

User56767

We watched The Mauritanian this weekend. Jodie Foster was okay - surprised she won the Golden Globe for her performance. It seemed a bit one-note to me. Powerful story, though. True, too.

U

User56767

We watched The Losers a couple of weeks ago. About 10 years old. Check out the cast: Idris Elba. Chris Evans. Zoe Saldana. Jason Patric as the villain. An action/heist movie. How did I miss this? Because it was horrible, that's how. I mean, terrible. Not even fun in a "so bad it was good" way. Just really bad.

U

User56767

Saw Cruella last night. Better than I thought it would be, but longer than it needed to be. Really didn’t have to be a prequel, I thought the premise was strong enough to be a separate standalone original movie, and they would have had a little more flexibility rather than making the story end up where it did, but overall it was enjoyable and fine.