Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
We are watching Station Eleven this week. DH read the book years ago and wanted to see how the series played out as compared to the book. Given where we are with the pandemic, it is striking very close to home for us. We are only at episode 2, so we will see how well they translated the book into the series.
I loved the Chicago scenes in the first episode. I’ve been to the Auditorium Theatre many times, and we have friends who live at Lake Point Tower. I didn’t know it took place in Chicago, but immediately recognized the locations.

I also love Mackenzie Davis. She was spectacular in Halt and Catch Fire.

U

User56767

Station Eleven is on our list. We're currently up to episode three of a horrible adaptation of a Harlan Coben book on Netflix. I don't even know the name of it and I'm not sure why we're even watching it, might bail. If anyone else watched it and thought it was great hmu I'm happy to debate how poorly written and acted it is.

George

Station Eleven is on our list. We're currently up to episode three of a horrible adaptation of a Harlan Coben book on Netflix. I don't even know the name of it and I'm not sure why we're even watching it, might bail. If anyone else watched it and thought it was great hmu I'm happy to debate how poorly written and acted it is.
I really didn't care for Dopesick, and everyone seems to love it. The subject matter is important, to be sure, but it's so melodramatic, with and they all but flash their message across the screen in subtitles. I found myself chortling aloud many times, in inappropriate places. For those who like their message movies delivered with a (metaphorical) sledgehammer to the head.

U

User56767

That’s also on our list. The Purdue Pharma documentary series on the opioid crisis was shocking.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how many people have had the pleasure of taking an OxyContin. But you will immediately understand why they are so addictive. It's like being hugged by God on a cloud of roses. Luckily(?) they are absurdly expensive on the secondary market. I haven't watched the Dopesick show, but may. Interestingly, I think opiate overdoses are up 4x or 8x or 10x since they stopped prescribing them. I read about one guy's wife who has stage 4 brain cancer and they wouldn't prescribe them to her. He was like, "she had six months max, who cares if she dies addicted to opiates. I would concur with that statement.

Ozark season 4 is up next for me I think. And I want to watch the Boba Fett thing. I haven't seen Encanto. It's not like I'm doing anything. So I could just put them on. I did watch Soul and wasn't impressed at all. I may have mentioned I loved Cruella.

Currently watching The Last Duel which is now on HBO Max. Lord is it gory. But I like all the actors and Ridley Scott still has it. And here I am sounding uppity, but I wish HBO Max had more 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos content. It almost makes me want to download it in 2160p with Atmos surround. Not that I would ever pirate anything. But it is good so far.

And if you don't mind dubbing/subtitles Squid Game is such a unique show I wish I had written it myself. But even that, which was #1 on Netflix for weeks despite being in another language, took like ten years for the director to convince someone it would work. I would say the first five or six episodes are the best, but it's obviously worth watching until the end.

Anne

Speaking of Cruella...I don't get the end where they show the origin of Pongo and Perdita. Is this some kind of "Wicked" set up and we now must assume Cruella was misunderstood? Because if that was their origin, why would Cruella be trying to take their puppies to make a coat in the original animated film?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
It was my understanding that it was a new take on the story rather than trying to recreate the animated version, but I could be misinformed,

BSS

Speaking of Cruella...I don't get the end where they show the origin of Pongo and Perdita. Is this some kind of "Wicked" set up and we now must assume Cruella was misunderstood? Because if that was their origin, why would Cruella be trying to take their puppies to make a coat in the original animated film?
My daighter and I rewatched Cruella (for the 4th...5th time?) last night and had this very discussion. We decided that, like Josh says, maybe it's just a different take on the story rather than a prequel.

Alcachofa

Semi off topic. Search functions for streaming services REALLY need improvement.

My daughter is really into Paris right now. I did a search for “Paris” on Disney+. Among other results, I got Aristocats (ok fine). But that was the only semi-accurate result. I also got “The Parent Trap” (?), “Pirates of the Caribbean” (??), and “Forky asks a question: What is a pet?” (???).

You know what I didn’t get? “Ratatouille”. Not that I was looking for that, but at least that’s a good search result.

Come on.

Not That Josh

Ozark season 4 is up next for me I think.

That's next for me, too.

The only reason I haven't started yet is because they split the season and I am hoping to wait as long as I can to start the first half so the wait for the second is not as long.

Anne

We finally got to watching Encanto. The music is great (I'm sure everyone here is already aware of that). My kids, who usually try to fast forward through songs, are now re-playing the songs and fast forwarding through the movie. Of course anytime there is silence someone is either humming or singing Bruno.

RetroCOTfan

Watched Tick, Tick, Boom - if you're a musical theater fan it is a fun watch. I won't spoil anything, but there is a scene roughly in the middle that is a Broadway nerd's version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Andrew Garfield was great, especially considering this was his first on-screen singing role. He took voice lessons for over a year, apparently. Oh, and Bradley Whitford's portrayal of Stephen Sondheim was uncanny it was so good. I'm honestly a bit surprised Lin-Manuel didn't get an Oscar nomination for directing - it was well done.

Also watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye. I grew up in an uber-conservative, fundamentalist Christian sect (think far right of Jerry Falwell, almost a cult). So my knowledge/opinion while growing up of Tammy Faye essentially boiled down to "bad makeup/"fake" Christian. I've since left that religion, so honestly I had no current opinion going into the movie, but it certainly made my sympathize with her. I get that it's a biopic with her as the lead, so of course there's going to be a sympathetic portrayal, but the story was pretty well written, fairly accurate (from the light research I did online), and well acted. Jessica Chastain was really great - and did her own singing. The movie made me genuinely sad that, between Jim and Tammy Faye, she was the one who died early.

RetroCOTfan

The answering machine scene?
Oh, that's a good one, but I was referring to the "Sunday brunch" diner scene/song.
It reminded me of the "portals" scene from Endgame where every new camera angle was a new hero.

George

Oh, that's a good one, but I was referring to the "Sunday brunch" diner scene/song.
It reminded me of the "portals" scene from Endgame where every new camera angle was a new hero.
I haven’t seen it yet, so I won’t click.

We met Stephen Sondheim the year he was Guest Director at the Telluride Film Fest (2004?), at the airport on our way there. He was on our Denver-Telluride flight, and we spotted him at the airport McDonalds during our layover in DEN. He invited us to sit down and chat while he had his breakfast. So approachable, friendly, and wise. I usually don’t go nuts over celebrity sightings, but this was several notches above that.

RetroCOTfan

I haven’t seen it yet, so I won’t click.

We met Stephen Sondheim the year he was Guest Director at the Telluride Film Fest (2004?), at the airport on our way there. He was on our Denver-Telluride flight, and we spotted him at the airport McDonalds during our layover in DEN. He invited us to sit down and chat while he had his breakfast. So approachable, friendly, and wise. I usually don’t go nuts over celebrity sightings, but this was several notches above that.
That is both astounding, and entirely in line with other stories I've heard. What an incredible person.

George

That is both astounding, and entirely in line with other stories I've heard. What an incredible person.
He couldn’t have been nicer. We bumped into him in town several more times over the weekend, and even saw him again having breakfast one morning and he called us “George and Greg, my breakfast buddies!”