Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

ThemeParkCommando

Watched Death on the Nile. I thought it was enjoyable, with a dazzling cast set against equally dazzling scenery. Of course, due to the restrictions of timing/budget, a good portion of that scenery was CGI, but not distractingly so.

As I understand it, the plot deviates from the novel by condensing characters and changing some details, but I thought it was sufficiently twisty enough to be enjoyable. As best I can tell, Branagh has a blast playing Poirot, so I'm certain there will be at least one more in this series, to make a trilogy. But I wouldn't be surprised if it went beyond that, too, as there's plenty of source material.
I watched this one Friday night. It was very enjoyable. I love the character Poirot. I'm not much of a fan of mysteries, but this series has been a lot of fun to watch, I hope they do make more movies, I'll certainly watch them. I think it does make a big difference, when you can tell the actors are having fun in their roles, and Branagh certainly is.

Strangeite

With Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness coming out this week, I decided to watch Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb again.

I'm aware that makes no sense, but it made me laugh to think about.

Dr. Strangelove is one of the few movies that I rewatch over and over again, probably at least once a year. V for Vendetta and Used Cars are the other ones.

RetroCOTfan

I watched this one Friday night. It was very enjoyable. I love the character Poirot. I'm not much of a fan of mysteries, but this series has been a lot of fun to watch, I hope they do make more movies, I'll certainly watch them. I think it does make a big difference, when you can tell the actors are having fun in their roles, and Branagh certainly is.
This was my feeling exactly - everyone looks like they're having fun, and Branagh's Poirot is fun, and I'll keep watching. This isn't my normal genre of movie, but it's an enjoyable, twisty little escape for a couple of hours.

Watched The Power of the Dog this weekend. Was generally unimpressed until about 2/3 of the way through when I realized it wasn't a western, it was a slow-burn thriller set in the West. Once I got that, my attitude shifted, and I quite enjoyed it. I guess I should have paid more attention to the comments about it other than "it's a must see."

ThemeParkCommando

May 7th was the 25th anniversary of The Fifth Element. That's on my "can't pass it when scanning channels" list.

Super green.
Lilu Dallas multipass!! I love this movie, too. Ruby Rod is a great character. I pretty much like all the Bruce Willis movies, but the one I watch the most is the one that bombed. "Hudson Hawk". To me, that movie has the same vibe as Fifth Element.

Not That Josh

Dr. Strangelove is one of the few movies that I rewatch over and over again, probably at least once a year. V for Vendetta and Used Cars are the other ones.

I can't guess how frequently, but I rewatch it regularly. For me, another one in this category is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's almost always a comedy, I can't think of a drama I rewatch.

Alcachofa

I can't guess how frequently, but I rewatch it regularly. For me, another one in this category is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's almost always a comedy, I can't think of a drama I rewatch.
I've seen Gone with the Wind at least 4 times. Doctor Zhivago around 3 times. What else? Oh the Godfather I and II... not sure, maybe 3 times each? Though I was thinking I wanted to watch them again soon. Casablanca, the same, probably around 3 but want to see it again soon. Pulp Fiction 4 or 5. I'm sure there are a couple others, but not many, because I can't think of them right now.

Probably several I've watched twice but that's it. And I'm old enough that twice really counts as once because there have been decades in between viewings. :ROFLMAO:

I've been meaning to watch Hitchhiker's. I'll have to put it on my Prime queue so I remember.

RetroCOTfan

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just finished binge-watching Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. I expected a dark comedy with some quirky characters and Gervais' trademark biting humor and tirades. It's got that. What I didn't expect was a heartwarming, deeply introspective meditation on life, loss, grief, community, and resiliency. Gervais does some really good work here in the lead role, portraying a middle-aged journalist for a small-town newspaper who recently lost his wife to cancer, leaving him despondent and suicidal. Throughout the series he turns in some surprisingly emotional performances while still allowing room for the rest of the cast to have their moments in the spotlight.

As with many British series, it's relatively short by American standards, with just 3 seasons containing 6 half-hour episodes each. Gervais has confirmed the series is concluded, so no worries about cliffhangers or waiting for new content to drop. It's a lovely "slice of life" series that balances a look at weighty issues with genuinely funny moments, with a cast of characters you grow to care about. And, honestly, more than a few times I thought of this group and our recent shared experience with losing our leader. I highly recommend.

Strangeite

I love Douglas Adams, so I was apprehensive going into the theater to watch Hitchhikers. When it opened with a musical number involving singing dolphins, a smile spread across my face, and thought, "This is going to be GOOOD!"