Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
My personal opinion is that fads and trends move much faster now than they did before the advent of the www -when I was a young lady (in the stone age) and we had a crush on oh, say, David Cassidy, we'd watch him once a week on the Partridge Family, talk about him with friends at school, buy a poster and stick it on our wall, and read about him once a month in Teen Beat. If we were really lucky, he'd be on Dick Cavett or Bandstand.
My sister used to make those folded-paper fortune-teller thingies (see photo), and would make my brother and me play. One of the "fortunes" was, "You love David Cassidy!"

Seven.jpg

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
If you really want to see a great film, Alexander (About Schmidt, Sideways) Payne's new film The Descendents just opened. It's certain to be one of the best films you'll see all year. We met Payne and George Clooney after the premiere screening last summer at the Telluride Film Festival, where it stunned and wowed the audience. Here's the trailer.

JimmyJackJunior

We watched three movies this week - Iron Man, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Avatar. All three were better than I expected. Really enoyed Crouching Tiger. Spoiler alert(highlight if you want to read) Nice to have an unhappy ending every once in a while.

Robin

I watched Super 8 last night and I enjoyed it. It was a lot like ET, but not as good. The kids in the movie are very endearing and Elle Fanning is adorable. For me, it was good, not great, but worth watching.

Also, not a movie, but I've been watching a new show on AMC called Hell On Wheels. Not sure what the reviews are, but I like it.

Robin

bnoble

he's right
fads and trends move much faster now than they did before the advent of the www
But you are talking about teen heartthrobs. This is a much broader question---why have Potter, True Blood, Twilight, etc. all gotten popular at about the same point in our cultural timeline? Why is it accelerating with TV shows like Terra Nova, Grimm, and Once Upon a Time?

Go back and watch the video again to see what he's talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EQwxu9rLQ4o

Edited to add: it's not even clear to me that the heartthrobs change that quickly, so much as our perception of time changes quickly. After all, Twilight has been a big deal for what, three years now? To my mid-40s-year-old-self, it feels like a flash in the pan. To a 16 year old, Rob Pattinson and or Taylor Luatner have always been hot.

PEACHES

The other night I watched "Body Heat" with Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, I had completely forgotten that movie even existed. It really has held up well, IMOP. She was beautiful back in the day and William Hurt was so young. It was on Showtime so you can probably catch it on demand.

F

Fireflies

The King's Speech I rented not too long ago. I liked it a lot, not only because I thought it was extremely well done, but because I have a degree in Speech Pathology. Very interesting.

It's Complicated got very mixed reviews, but I thought it was just a fun, albeit predictable, comfort movie. Just fun.

I never mention movies that I find ghastly because I'm afraid of offending anyone who may have loved it. I made this social blunder many moons ago at a family gathering. I mentioned not liking a classic movie (will not mention here) and my sister-in-law seemed mortally offended. I think she just may have changed her mind about me that moment:RpS_laugh:

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Wow, I haven't seen Body Heat in ages. The story itself really would still work in today's world.

I think tomorrow for Thanksgiving DH and I will watch a bunch of the North and South miniseries. Hey, it's a movie about American history so why not? LOL We're Canadians who don't have any family in the area (or any closer than 8 hours away in a neighbouring country) so we really don't celebrate the holiday. I think I should make poutine for dinner just to make a point.

bnoble

he's right
You could just buy a RAID-in-a-box rather than try to set it up yourself out of two disks. It won't be that much more expensive, and it will be a lot easier.

However, if it were me, I'd go with Carbonite first. Two copies right next to one another are no insurance against "correlated failures": a fire/flood/theft. Carbonite puts one copy in another physical location.

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Thanks Brian. I'll look into Carbonite and I'll also check out raid in a box as well. I like simple and I like the idea of other site for one copy. I appreciate the suggestions.

PEACHES

Wow, I haven't seen Body Heat in ages. The story itself really would still work in today's world.

I think tomorrow for Thanksgiving DH and I will watch a bunch of the North and South miniseries. Hey, it's a movie about American history so why not? LOL We're Canadians who don't have any family in the area (or any closer than 8 hours away in a neighbouring country) so we really don't celebrate the holiday. I think I should make poutine for dinner just to make a point.

"Body Heat" was a great movie to stumble upon, sometimes when I rewatch a movie from years ago I'll think, why did I ever like that.
I never watched North and South, I do have "Gone with the Wind". Enjoy your poutine,the dish. Funny becuase that was one of the first French cuss words I ever learned, not the food!
"Ah poutain, c'est pas possible" I think it is spelled the same.

Robin

Funny you mention Gone With The Wind. AMC is running a Gone With The Wind marathon right now for it's 75th anniversary. I watched the whole thing while doing laundry today.

Robin

lisapennie

does judge
I never mention movies that I find ghastly because I'm afraid of offending anyone who may have loved it. I made this social blunder many moons ago at a family gathering. I mentioned not liking a classic movie (will not mention here) and my sister-in-law seemed mortally offended. I think she just may have changed her mind about me that moment:RpS_laugh:
But that's what makes talking about movies fun - if we all agreed about what is good or bad, that would be boring.

I was specializing in film when I was working on my PhD, and there were lots of supposedly brilliant films that I couldn't stand (honestly - I just don't get the appeal of the Godfather. There, I said it.) I could appreciate the techniques being used, but I probably wouldn't have chosen to watch some of those films on my own. Others were just plain awful - and yet, there were films that I thought were genius that others couldn't stand. Some of the best discussions I had were about those differences. If someone gets offended - too bad for them. I think some take a criticism of something they like as a criticism of them, but that's just silly (unless, of course, you then mock the person for liking said thing, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

F

Fireflies

OK Lisa...I'll PM you and let you know what the movie is. Ohhhh, a beloved, beloved classic. Then you can decide if you ever want to talk to me again.

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
My husband actually bases some of his liking a person on whether they "get" Pulp Fiction. I really thought he was going to stop liking my sister-in-law because she doesn't like the movie - fortunately she's the sweetest and coolest person in the world so he is forced to love her.

I totally agree about the Godfather - I've never been able to sit through the entire movie, it just doesn't hold my interest at all.

Body Heat, I haven't seen that one in ages - I think we still own it on VHS though!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Godfather and Pulp Fiction are two of my favorite movies. Everything about The Godfather is "epic" in my opinion. I also think "Norbit" is one of the funniest movies ever made though.

However, I didn't care for Casablanca. 12 Angry Men didn't do much for me. Dr. Strangelove is overrated. The Pianist wasn't that good. Tried to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind several times and could never really get through it. The ending to Oldboy was obvious to me.

Those are my negative opinions on the Top 250 at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top