Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
"mars needs moms" wasn't great :RpS_bored:
Great... thanks for the heads up. Guess we'll have the wait for the next one to go the the 'big' movies again.
Until then, there'll be Tangled on DVD. yay!

lisapennie

does judge
We watched The Town this afternoon - very good, but definitely dark. I'm not really a big Ben Affleck fan, but he worked in this one, and he's shaping up to be a pretty good director.

lisapennie

does judge
A little too long and a little easy on the action for me
I agree - it could have been trimmed a bit, and at times I wished that they had gone for a bit less authentic dialect/a bit more clear enunciation - but I still think it was worth watching.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I think my expectations were too high after hearing all of the stellar reviews. On the flip side, I saw that Robin Hood with Russel Crowe and thought it was pretty good. Had the reviews for it been amazing rather than "crap" I might have come away with a different opinion. Speaking of which, I suffered through Voyage of the Dawn Treader last night. Ugh. :RpS_sleep:

lisapennie

does judge
I think my expectations were too high after hearing all of the stellar reviews. On the flip side, I saw that Robin Hood with Russel Crowe and thought it was pretty good. Had the reviews for it been amazing rather than "crap" I might have come away with a different opinion. Speaking of which, I suffered through Voyage of the Dawn Treader last night. Ugh. :RpS_sleep:
Yeah - been there with movie reviews before. I also did film for one of my areas of specialization in grad school, so I watched a lot of movies that are supposed to be brilliant, but which often left me cold. I think No Country For Old Men is a perfect example of that - I can appreciate what it did, but I didn't really enjoy it. On the other hand, I love 8 1/2 and Blow Up (the original Antonioni, not the one with John Travolta), so I admit to having a soft spot for more artsy films.

lisapennie

does judge
That's on my rental list - it looked quite entertaining. Most of my favorite movies are not safe for kids, but since we don't have any, that's not really a concern in this house. I'm pretty sure that our cats won't be negatively affected by watching Pulp Fiction.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
at times I wished that they had gone for a bit less authentic dialect/a bit more clear enunciation.
Hey! We enunciate.:RpS_sad:

What usually bothers me is when the Boston accent is sooooo exaggerated. I think - 'there's no way we sound like that'.

Last edited:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand "accents" I guess, but I don't understand adding sounds that aren't there. If there's no "r" at the end of a word, there is no "r" sound. I don't know whose idearrrrrrr it was to start doing that, but someone should have told them to stop it.

lisapennie

does judge
Often times the extra letters are added only in certain places - so on the end of a word that ends with a vowel before another word that starts with a vowel. Or when particular letter combinations are hard to pronounce.

I have mostly lost my accent. Unless my DH or kids tick me off ... then it tends to show. However, I have a friend that makes fun of me when I say "tour". I pronounce it "tor" and she _claims_ it's pronounced "toor".
Whatever!
And I'll always say "Bahston", not Boston. At least I don't pronounce "spa" as "spar" like my mother still does. Or "telemaaahketahs". :RpS_laugh:

RoonieRoo

will take any rain...even if its men.
When I was in college, I worked as a relay agent for several years. I used to have a hard time understanding various accents until that job. When you do relay you get to where you can tune your ear to just about any accent. It was an interesting job side effect.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'll go ahead and give this Tron 5-Disc set two thumbs up, but you have to have a pretty sizable dork side to really enjoy it all I think. Tron Legacy is "very cool" in spite of pretty poor writing and acting.

I'll go ahead and give this Tron 5-Disc set two thumbs up, but you have to have a pretty sizable dork side to really enjoy it all I think. Tron Legacy is "very cool" in spite of pretty poor writing and acting.
But, should we buy it? We haven't since Legacy yet and haven't seen the original in forever.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say. It's not a great movie just in and of itself and whether or not you'll enjoy it is really subjective. Of course movies are always subjective, but I feel like this one is more subjective than most. It depends on your "set up" too. If you have a nice television and sound system then that will go a long way to the total "experience." If you're watching the DVD then I think a lot of it will be lost in translation. If you liked/appreciated the original Tron in the first place then you'll most likely really enjoy Legacy. Maybe a rental would be better though if they do those in Oregon.

nicole

guess we'll go to disney world today
Hey! We enunciate.:RpS_sad:

What usually bothers me is when the Boston accent is sooooo exaggerated. I think - 'there's no way we sound like that'.
:RpS_lol: you just reminded me of my favorite childhood movie...
..cawnt, shawnt, awnt
..I remember thinking 'they don't really talk like that do they?" :RpS_tongue:
..hummm time to search youtube for that oldie :RpS_laugh: