Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
I love movies, too! But only good ones :RpS_wink:

On DVD now - the Tourist. Saw that at the $1 theater with DH on Feb.14th. Much better than I thought it would be.
Loved CofN Dawn Treader.
Looking forward to National Treasure 3 (not sure it's even filming, yet - but it should!), Cars 2 and Soul Surfer.
ETA: and African Cats! Earth and Oceans were good on the big screen and I'm sure this one will be, too. I get movie vouchers through our Disney Visa rewards so makes movie going so much more affordable.

Last edited:

lisapennie

does judge
See, and I thought the Tourist was relatively terrible - no suspense, and I honestly didn't care about anyone in it.

I watched Citizen Kane (again - I've seen it like a dozen times) with my students two weeks ago. I don't think they thought it was as brilliant as I think it is, but I don't think they hated it either, which is something I suppose.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I have to admit... Citizen Kane was one of those movies I just didn't get. Maybe it was because of all the hype, or maybe I just have to watch it again.

It depends on your "set up" too. If you have a nice television and sound system then that will go a long way to the total "experience." If you're watching the DVD then I think a lot of it will be lost in translation. If you liked/appreciated the original Tron in the first place then you'll most likely really enjoy Legacy. Maybe a rental would be better though if they do those in Oregon.
:RpS_lol: We do have rental places here in Oregon. But, our local Blockbuster is going out of business. We've been Netflix peeps for seven or eight years now though. However, we broke down and just bought it. I printed the coupon from Disney Movie Rewards for $5 and looked in two cities and three stores before we found it....a mile and a half from the house. :RpS_scared: Next time we'll start there first. :RpS_glare:

We do have a good set up. Blu-ray, HDTV, nice surround high quality sound system, no 3-D though. I don't see in 3-D. Yes, for me the world _is_ flat. :RpS_thumbdn:

lisapennie

does judge
I _completely_ agree!! I won't allow my kids to say 'ant' either. :RpS_biggrin:
Why? It's actually the "correct" pronunciation (that's relative of course, by dialect - but if you look at most dictionaries, the "ant" pronunciation is the one that's listed).

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your preferred pronunciations aren't terribly likely to have much impact on your kids - linguists have determined that peer groups and dialect in the area have a far greater impact - which is why children of immigrants typically have the accent of those in the area where they grew up, not their parents' accent.

Why? It's actually the "correct" pronunciation (that's relative of course, by dialect - but if you look at most dictionaries, the "ant" pronunciation is the one that's listed).

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your preferred pronunciations aren't terribly likely to have much impact on your kids - linguists have determined that peer groups and dialect in the area have a far greater impact - which is why children of immigrants typically have the accent of those in the area where they grew up, not their parents' accent.
Because an 'ant' is a small insect, not your mother's sister. :RpS_biggrin:

My kids may change their pronunciation at some point in their life, but at 16 and 14 (in a week and a half) they say 'awnt' as a matter of habit. I find the linguists' findings interesting. I've known lots of first generation Americans and they definitely had traits in their speech that weren't local to the area they grew up in. :confused:

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Because an 'ant' is a small insect, not your mother's sister. :RpS_biggrin:

My kids may change their pronunciation at some point in their life, but at 16 and 14 (in a week and a half) they say 'awnt' as a matter of habit. I find the linguists' findings interesting. I've known lots of first generation Americans and they definitely had traits in their speech that weren't local to the area they grew up in. :confused:
Growing up in Utah.....it was always pronounced "ant". In fact....when my first nephew in my family was born.....I proclaimed myself as the "Red Ant" and my sister just younger then me took the "Black Ant". I personally like it that way. Out here on the East coast however, I've noticed many a person who says "Awntie".....now that drives me nuts. I'm an Ant thank you.....a Red one!!!!!

Growing up in Utah.....it was always pronounced "ant". In fact....when my first nephew in my family was born.....I proclaimed myself as the "Red Ant" and my sister just younger then me took the "Black Ant". I personally like it that way. Out here on the East coast however, I've noticed many a person who says "Awntie".....now that drives me nuts. I'm an Ant thank you.....a Red one!!!!!
Yup, I have an Awnty Nancy. Ant Nancy just sounds small and mean to me. My awnt is neither. :RpS_biggrin:

I have yielded to most of the rest of the nation and say "soda" rather than "tonic" though. But, I still refuse to call it "pop". :RpS_thumbdn:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
You refer to "Coca Cola Classic" as "tonic?"

If we were related I would probably call you "Anty Ant" especially if I knew it bugged you. No pun intended.

You refer to "Coca Cola Classic" as "tonic?"

If we were related I would probably call you "Anty Ant" especially if I knew it bugged you. No pun intended.
Not since the 80s. :RpS_biggrin:

You can call me whatever you want. Just keep the touring plans and charts (minus decimal points) coming! :RpS_love:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm editing the 20 page Epcot overview :RpS_sleep:

It's not exactly earth shattering but should be a good starting point for noobs willing to read 20 pages about touring epcot

which is probably less than six

I'm editing the 20 page Epcot overview :RpS_sleep:

It's not exactly earth shattering but should be a good starting point for noobs willing to read 20 pages about touring epcot

which is probably less than six
I think you are underestimating your target audience.

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
I'm an ant too :) I'm right outside Philadelphia and I rarely here anyone say "awnt". and I agree, "awntie" drives me crazy!