Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
George: Yes, as United Artists painfully found out with Cimino, sometimes the director needs to be directed. I like the Scorsese approach: shoot the film, give it to Thelma to edit.
They'd be whistling a different tune of the film made tons of money. There are many critics who find "Heaven's Gate" a great film. If the studio wasn't so greedy (they figured how could the director of "The Deer Hunter" make a box office dud?) and thrown so much money at him, they mightn't have suffered as much financially. It's the studios' job to control budget, not to tamper with or steer an artist's work. What if Picasso was mandated he couldn't use blue paint?

SteveK

George: Good point about blue paint! After reading Final Cut by Steven Bach--which is a one-sided telling of the tale--the question might be what if Picasso was mandated he couldn't use blue paint collected in a bowler hat with a plum floating in it? I liked Heaven's Gate well enough--the original mainstream release cut, not the director's cut, which technically would be the second director's cut, I believe. I think the original "bloated" one had only a limited NY/LA run. I might be wrong. Anyway, my favorite Cimino film by far is Year of the Dragon, although Deer Hunter deserves its props.

In contrast, there is the Clint Eastwood school of direction--something like if you don't get it in three takes, you're not going to get it. No doubt the studios love that, and he certainly can bring in the box-office bacon.

George

George: Good point about blue paint! After reading Final Cut by Steven Bach--which is a one-sided telling of the tale--the question might be what if Picasso was mandated he couldn't use blue paint collected in a bowler hat with a plum floating in it? I liked Heaven's Gate well enough--the original mainstream release cut, not the director's cut, which technically would be the second director's cut, I believe. I think the original "bloated" one had only a limited NY/LA run. I might be wrong. Anyway, my favorite Cimino film by far is Year of the Dragon, although Deer Hunter deserves its props.
Year of the Dragon is quite remarkable; I don't think The Deer Hunter has aged very well.

In contrast, there is the Clint Eastwood school of direction--something like if you don't get it in three takes, you're not going to get it. No doubt the studios love that, and he certainly can bring in the box-office bacon.
Eastwood can do no wrong in Warner Bros' eyes, no doubt. He's a gifted filmmaker, though not all his films do so well at the box office. I tend to like his morally ambiguous ones, where the good guys aren't always good and the bad guys aren't always bad (i.e. Mystic River, The Bridges of Madison County, Unforgiven, A Perfect World). He's great, when he does this, at busting the myth of the "hero." The films in which he presents protagonists on pedestals (i.e. American Sniper, Changeling) are quite flat and uninspired.

SteveK

George, did you see White Hunter, Black Heart? I love that one. So out of character to see a loquacious Clint. Good commentary on morality and myth-busting there.

George

George, did you see White Hunter, Black Heart? I love that one. So out of character to see a loquacious Clint. Good commentary on morality and myth-busting there.
Incredibly, no. Critics that I admire tend to name this as one of his very best. I'll have to check it out. It doesn't surprise me, as it was made at the height of his storytelling powers. I think A Perfect World is one of his undiscovered masterpieces as well. Sure, Unforgiven got all the press, given his background in Westerns, but this one was every bit as significant. There was a stretch in the '90s where he could pretty much do no wrong.

DH and I went to see Hotel Transylvania 2 last night. I enjoyed it for what it was. The best review I've seen was a simple one. "If you enjoyed the original, you'll like HT2. If you didn't like the original, you won't like HT2."

My biggest takeaway from the movie, is that I REALLY need the GPS voice the monsters were using... lol. " You missed the turn! You Eeeeediot!"

lupaglupa

I just finished reading the book "The Martian" because I usually like to have read a book before I see the movie. But darn, now I know what happens...
I read the book when it first came out and loved it. Knowing the ending didn't ruin the movie a bit - seeing it is different. The Martian landscapes are amazing.

Kazmom

Just got home from seeing The Martian. Very good movie!

Glad to hear you liked Pan Goofballs - that was what I was originally going to see this weekend but the reviews were meh so we did Martian instead. Maybe I will put Pan back on the list.

Goofballs

Glad to hear you liked Pan Goofballs - that was what I was originally going to see this weekend but the reviews were meh so we did Martian instead. Maybe I will put Pan back on the list.
Saw PAN with 12 and 10 year-old son. Reminded me a lot of watching Goonies as a kid.

lupaglupa

Same here - we had considered Pan but the reviews turned us away.

pdes70

We saw The Martian last night and loved it. I was hesitant to see Pan because of the reviews, but maybe we will give it a shot next weekend. After all, we have a local movie theather that charges $5.00 during the day. How bad can it be for $5.00. :RpS_unsure:

SteveK

I saw Whiplash, with the acclaimed performance by J.K. Simmons. Although technically a well-made film and emotionally involving, I found the central message off-putting--the idea that musical (or any creative) genius can be compelled out of someone at the behest of a dictatorial mentor. Too many examples exist to the contrary! Worthwhile film to watch, though.

guff

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd
Watched Snowpiercer. It was supposed to be one of the best movies on Netflix. It was Polar Express meets Mad Max meet Pink Floyd's The Wall. I've never done acid and have never written a movie; however, if I wrote a movie while on acid I'd imagine it would be a lot like Snowpiercer. It wasn't bad, but it tried too hard to be weird.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Watched Snowpiercer. It was supposed to be one of the best movies on Netflix. It was Polar Express meets Mad Max meet Pink Floyd's The Wall. I've never done acid and have never written a movie; however, if I wrote a movie while on acid I'd imagine it would be a lot like Snowpiercer. It wasn't bad, but it tried too hard to be weird.
I hated Snowpiercer and I don't hate a lot of things. Tried so hard to be smart and it's sooooooo dumb.