Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Not That Josh

Add Anomalisa to the must-see list; it was revelatory and haunting. Charlie Kauffman is a master.
I saw the trailer for that before Brooklyn. It looked really interesting.

And I'm also excited about The Big Short:
I am somewhat worried this movie will cause me to be annoyed or frustrated (again).

For different reasons, I have similar thoughts about Spotlight.

I bet I will end up seeing both, though.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I am somewhat worried this movie will cause me to be annoyed or frustrated (again).

For different reasons, I have similar thoughts about Spotlight.

I bet I will end up seeing both, though.
Great movies never annoy or frustrate me. Bad movies always do.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Have you read the book for "The Big Short?" I read it when it came out, written by the "Moneyball" guy I think. I think I was still working at Merrill Lynch at the time, and it was amazing to me to read about what was going on "upstairs" while all of us employees had no idea that not only had our risk management people gotten things so wrong, but that these guys had figured it all out.

George

Have you read the book for "The Big Short?" I read it when it came out, written by the "Moneyball" guy I think. I think I was still working at Merrill Lynch at the time, and it was amazing to me to read about what was going on "upstairs" while all of us employees had no idea that not only had our risk management people gotten things so wrong, but that these guys had figured it all out.
Haven't read the book, but the film is supposed to be spot-on, a combination comedy, documentary, and thriller. Can't wait.

DopeyRunr

Haven't read the book, but the film is supposed to be spot-on, a combination comedy, documentary, and thriller. Can't wait.
I wouldn't call the book a comedy, but it was certainly full of colorful characters.

Not That Josh

Good point. It's a good idea to see a great movie even if it makes you a little uncomfortable.

Well, the film just got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture, Comedy/Musical. Go figure.
There are always one or two in the comedy category that don't seem to fit. The Big Short and The Martian are there this year.

I get why the studios and production companies want to do it this way, but the movies don't seem to belong.

nolarookie

I'm really looking forward to seeing Joy and the Big Short. But last night I saw the Good Dinosaur. I did not really like it and was glad when it was over. I was also disappointed in Inside Out, although I thought it was an original idea. Now that basically all I see are animated movies, I've gotten pretty weary of the epic quest formula they follow.

Not That Josh

Four thoughts:
1) Spotlight was quite good and deserving of the attention it's receiving. It did make me wonder about investigative journalism and whether it's going to slowly disappear or if there will always be people doing the hard, important work which is needed.

2) I think I'm going to see Brooklyn again. It was really good and I keep thinking about it over and over.

3) Hail, Caesar!

4) Mini rant about movie critics (feel free to skip this). I don't normally pay much attention to movie reviews, but after seeing Trumbo I decided to look. I was surprised the aggregator sites were showing critics are lukewarm toward the movie, so I looked at a few individual reviews. It seems the main complaint about the movie is that the writing does not live up to the writing of its subject (Dalton Trumbo). Not many movies would live up to that standard. If Roman Holiday and Spartacus are someone's standard for if a movie is worth watching, then that person is not going to see many movies. Pointless rant over.

Not That Josh

For those who follow her on twitter, it was fun to follow Lisa watching EP IV, V, and VI this week before seeing VII.

I liked the movie, but since I have to avoid spoilers, I will only say one thing: the big surprise/spoiler was not surprising at all.

For anyone who has not decided how to see it yet, 3D doesn't add much to the viewing experience.

DopeyRunr

For those who follow her on twitter, it was fun to follow Lisa watching EP IV, V, and VI this week before seeing VII.

I liked the movie, but since I have to avoid spoilers, I will only say one thing: the big surprise/spoiler was not surprising at all.

For anyone who has not decided how to see it yet, 3D doesn't add much to the viewing experience.
Wow, I was totally surprised. Hadn't heard it mentioned or even suggested anywhere. Props to you!

Nia

same with IMAX. It was great but wasn't as dimensional as other movies we seen. It's awesome but it would be just as awesome at normal screen

DopeyRunr

same with IMAX. It was great but wasn't as dimensional as other movies we seen. It's awesome but it would be just as awesome at normal screen
Interesting - I was considering IMAX 3D for a second viewing during Christmas break.

George

I think 3D is just a gimmick for all but films which were shot for 3D. Avatar is the best (only?) film that comes to mind. IMAX is another gimmick, but it's more forgiving with films not shot for IMAX presentation. The huge image (and I'm presuming this isn't "fake IMAX" that's so common out there) is quite spectacular.

Nia

To be honest we have only one IMAX screen in the country
It's better to the 3rd screens. Way better
The ticket cost is not much more expensive to 3d screens
The sound is substantially better too
The location suit us

It doesn't really matter that much to me what specific type of IMAX is it's the only one available and we like it alott more to 3rd or standard movie theaters. If movie comes in IMAX format, we see it in IMAX. If we are going to Star Wars again we will go again same place. We like it. I suspect it may not be the huge type but it still is better to the alternatives available to us so why not see it in best format we can?

http://www.imax.com/theatres/cineworld-dublin-imax

googled it - it's not the 70mm IMAX.

Last edited:

Nia

I would be interested to try real IMAX next time in Orlando. I may try to check it out next year

Last edited:

Not That Josh

Wow, I was totally surprised. Hadn't heard it mentioned or even suggested anywhere. Props to you!
I only say it wasn't surprising for practical related reasons outside of the movie's story. I assume this is generic enough to not be considered a spoiler: I didn't think that person wanted to be in two or three movies. That's the main reason I was not surprised.