Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Not That Josh

Joy fell short of what one may expect from David O. Russell. I can't think of one major thing that was wrong, it's just a lot of little things. I guess that's the problem with the success he has had, you can make a good, not great, movie and people may be disappointed. Expectations tend to make a big difference in how we, and critics, view a movie.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I really enjoyed Joy. Russell is one of those great directors of actors, like Scorsese, Tarantino, and Allen. If I had s quibble it's that the fascinating character study of the first half of he film gave way to more conventional details about story and The Mop. I'd rather have spent more time with these remarkable flawed people than regaled with more mundane rags-to-riches details. Still, those parts did provide lots of enjoyment, albeit a different kind.

Not That Josh

I also enjoyed Joy. I doubt Jennifer Lawrence will win the big awards this year, not because of her performance but because of the raves some of the other performances are getting. I think she definitely deserves the nominations she has gotten and will get.

If Joy looks like a lesser movie, it is only in comparison to his others. I see as somewhat similar to Shutter Island for Scorsese. Critics liked it but just not as much as his other movies. Of course, for most directors, it would be their best movie.

Not That Josh

-I saw and heard it said that The Revenant and The Hateful Eight were slow and/or too long. I did not find either movie to be slow or long, and I was pulled into the movies from the beginning and stayed in throughout.

-The have seen all the Academy Award Best Picture nominees. I think The Revenant is likely to win, but I'm glad I don't have to vote.

Last edited:

Goofballs

I saw Captain America: Civil War tonight. I enjoyed it more than I expected, but had a really tough time with the filming in the first hour or so. It was almost Blair-witchish and I felt motion sick. Really glad we didn't see the 3D version.

geek1997

We saw Finding Dory this weekend. Pixar movies on Father's Day is maybe becoming our thing? We thought it was pretty good. Not Finding Nemo good because anything is going to feel like a revamp when you're in the same "universe". We laughed and cried and were only one of two families to sit through until the end. I thought it was common knowledge that there's almost always an Easter Egg at the end. Guess not.

Plus we like to scan credits and look for people with our names. Sound boring? We have fairly unique names so it's not and the girls get excited if/when they find them. We've only found our oldest's name on maybe one or two films.

We saw Finding Dory this weekend. Pixar movies on Father's Day is maybe becoming our thing? We thought it was pretty good. Not Finding Nemo good because anything is going to feel like a revamp when you're in the same "universe". We laughed and cried and were only one of two families to sit through until the end. I thought it was common knowledge that there's almost always an Easter Egg at the end. Guess not.

Plus we like to scan credits and look for people with our names. Sound boring? We have fairly unique names so it's not and the girls get excited if/when they find them. We've only found our oldest's name on maybe one or two films.
I agree. We loved the movie and they did an awesome job, although it is hard to make a sequel better than the original. Also, the general plot was the same, so it was hard to make the movies drastically different.

texasmommy

I liked it OK. Not a bad movie but honestly found it super sad at the beginning, like too sad. My 14 year old daughter liked it better than the original, my 15 year old son liked the original better, and my 7 year old son liked them both the same.

We always watch credits for our names too. Thought we were the only dorks who do that! :RpS_smile:
When I was a teenager, my best friend and I would do that but look for the names of boys we liked. Sooooo stupid now that I look back but we did it EVERY time.

geek1997

When I was a teenager, my best friend and I would do that but look for the names of boys we liked. Sooooo stupid now that I look back but we did it EVERY time.
Teehee. Remember the apple stem trick? Twist the stem and for each twist a letter of the alphabet. The letter the stem broke on was the first letter of the boy you were going to marry. I don't think it was accurate but I should have kept better records. ;)

texasmommy

Teehee. Remember the apple stem trick? Twist the stem and for each twist a letter of the alphabet. The letter the stem broke on was the first letter of the boy you were going to marry. I don't think it was accurate but I should have kept better records. ;)
I did that too!! I was slightly (understatement) boy crazy!

I still do that!
I try not to use 'lol' but that actually made me LOL.

Wtshum

As sequels go, Finding Dory was fantastic. It incorporated the best parts of Finding Nemo, and gave insight into Dory's character development. We as a family loved it. Good to know there was no Easter egg at the end of the credits. We usually stay to the bitter end, but couldn't for this one.

geek1997

Sorry, I meant that I guess not everyone knows that. There was an extra bit at the end. (sorry if that bummed you out) But it will be on the DVD too!

DisneySmiles

Yes, there is a little bit at the end of Dory. We stay through the end of the credits for all movies. My dad always had us do that as kids and so I still do it today! It doesn't pay off all the time, but when it does it's like an extra bit of magic because most everybody else has left! We usually get some stares from the movie clean up crew!