Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
I drive everyone crazy with staying through the credits. I don't do it when going to movies with friends and I don't like leaving while the credits are rolling! LOL Like someone said earlier, sometimes it's for nothing but it sure is awesome when I'm right and everyone else has left!

I got 2 free passes from Regal Cinemas for a sneak preview for Secret Life of Pets a week or so ago. It was a cute movie. I didn't walk out thinking "Wow! That was a great movie!"

geek1997

We started readying The BFG last night in anticipation of the movie coming out. Using a copy I had as a kid. It's gotta be 25 years old or more. Someday, the girls will really understand the gravity of that kind of statement.

BoSoxGal

We saw Dory today and stayed for 1/2 the credits. Bummer!! We usually always stay too. I thought it was really good and funny. I liked how there were more interactions and development of other characters. I'm also a sucker for Ty Burrell though! Hank was great too. And hey, for once a movie where the parents weren't mia in a Disney movie - that was a nice change of pace!

Are there any other old school gamers out there, whose ears perked up in mild alarm and confusion when hearing "Disney's The BFG" the first time? (and the 2nd, possibly.) It still makes me giggle every time I hear it. That acronym means something altogether different in a certain video game.

Abbyar

The clip from Dory is on Youtube - there's someone talking over the version I saw, but it's there. Features Gerald - I thought that was a funny bit/character - and the fish from the tank in Nemo. Cute.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I saw Hell of High Water the other day. Ostensibly, it's a typical action film about two brothers (Ben Fostern and Chris Pine) on a bank robbing spree through desolate and depressed modern-day West Texas, with the Sheriff (a grizzled Jeff Bridges) trying to crack One Last Case Before He Retires. But under the surface emerges themes of hopelessness in modern hard economic times, blurred lines between good and bad, and the futility of trying to get ahead in life. Did I also mention there are four of the best performances of the year? Recommended without reservation.

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
We saw Miracles from Heaven on DVD this past weekend. SO good! MUCH better than Heaven is for Real. 1,000 times better, actually.
Jennifer Garner is stellar! Get the tissues, ready, however. Just remember, if you've seen the previews, they will eventually be tears of joy by the end of the movie.
I don't think I'm giving much away.... the title does have the word Miracles in it :RpS_biggrin:

George

We saw Miracles from Heaven on DVD this past weekend. SO good! MUCH better than Heaven is for Real. 1,000 times better, actually.
Jennifer Garner is stellar! Get the tissues, ready, however. Just remember, if you've seen the previews, they will eventually be tears of joy by the end of the movie.
I don't think I'm giving much away.... the title does have the word Miracles in it :RpS_biggrin:
I've seen the trailer; I feel like I've seen the whole movie.

Denise25

Glad to hear Hell or High Water comes highly recommended, have that on our list for this weekend. Saw Captain Fantastic this past weekend, which was interesting.

Not That Josh

I saw Hell of High Water the other day. Ostensibly, it's a typical action film about two brothers (Ben Fostern and Chris Pine) on a bank robbing spree through desolate and depressed modern-day West Texas, with the Sheriff (a grizzled Jeff Bridges) trying to crack One Last Case Before He Retires. But under the surface emerges themes of hopelessness in modern hard economic times, blurred lines between good and bad, and the futility of trying to get ahead in life. Did I also mention there are four of the best performances of the year? Recommended without reservation.
Agree with the recommendation, and I rarely recommend movies.

Glad to hear Hell or High Water comes highly recommended, have that on our list for this weekend. Saw Captain Fantastic this past weekend, which was interesting.
I saw Captain Fantastic two or three weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason, I have been unable to come up with the words to express why.

Not sure if you slipped in the word interesting as a joke on purpose, but I chuckled when I read it.

geek1997

Can I just say I'm entertained that there is a Deepwater Horizon movie coming out? Not in a "lets make light of the situation" way but that it warrants a movie and in a "is this really appropriate" kind of way. As someone who works in the oil industry, so maybe I have more of a vested interest than most.

And what is it with Mark Wahlberg and "real life" dramas?

(so many "quotes" in this post...)

George

Can I just say I'm entertained that there is a Deepwater Horizon movie coming out? Not in a "lets make light of the situation" way but that it warrants a movie and in a "is this really appropriate" kind of way. As someone who works in the oil industry, so maybe I have more of a vested interest than most.

And what is it with Mark Wahlberg and "real life" dramas?

(so many "quotes" in this post...)
Yeah, I saw the trailer for that the other day. Do we really need to see this? The swelling music and all that. Yawn.

George

Meanwhile, I saw the trailer for American Pastoral. Man, does this look good. The trailer, at least, is A+. I read the novel some years back after it won the Pulitzer Prize. Can't wait for this one. Ewan McGregor's directorial debut, by the way.

Last edited:

Denise25

Agree with the recommendation, and I rarely recommend movies.

I saw Captain Fantastic two or three weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason, I have been unable to come up with the words to express why.

Not sure if you slipped in the word interesting as a joke on purpose, but I chuckled when I read it.
Ha ha, "interesting" was the best word I could come up with. I can understand the enjoying it, I think for me maybe it's one of those things that somehow seems strangely appealing to want to try (in a much smaller dose). It's kind of, darn, what's necessary isn't nearly as fun.

Not That Josh

It's that time of year when the studios release the movies they believe have a chance during award season.

Fingers crossed for some good films over the next couple of months.

George

It's that time of year when the studios release the movies they believe have a chance during award season.

Fingers crossed for some good films over the next couple of months.
Some that you should look out for that we saw at Telluride:

Arrival
Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Maudie
La La Land
Lost in Paris
Toni Erdmann

Kasha

Moana was great. Really great soundtrack as well.
Hoping that Disney does something cool with the property at WDW or Aulani.