Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

I've been watching it in the background while I'm working on other things. Ultimately, it's a clip show that just happens to have some big-name talking heads - nothing more, nothing less. So background noise is a good place for it, IMO.

Saw the photorealistic "The Lion King" last night. For some background, the original animated version is still my favorite movie of all time. I have seen it over 100 times, saw it 11 times in the theater, and wore out one VHS tape.

So, I was not optimistic about this movie, but since I really loved the stage adaptation, I figured I could find something to like about a screen adaptation.

I give this movie a solid 'B'. They do some things differently, but not too many things. Some of the changes are great. Critics seem to be panning the movie because the animals don't have proper emotions through facial expressions, but if you are used to reading animal body language, I think they did a good job. Only a couple of scenes seemed 'stiff'. Nothing seemed to be shoehorned in as a change that was not needed. The movie is 30 minutes longer than the original, and if you are familiar with the first movie, it's easy to find where they put the extra minutes in, but they fit, so I was fine with it.
In the original animated feature, I always had a problem with the 'Can you feel the love tonight' song and sequence, because the animation of the lions was WAY different and incorrect from the rest of the movie. That was fixed in this version.

If you like The Lion King animated, I suggest you go see this one, just to enjoy the surprise differences.

BSS

Our symphony orchestra showed Little Mermaid tonight and performed the score live. It was wonderful!!

BSS

My husband has seen at least two of the Star Wars movies at the symphony. I'm not much for Star Wars, but a friend and I jumped at the chance to see Little Mermaid. I was really impressed with how the live score impacted the movie. I will definitely see other movie performances. I think the Harry Potter movies would lend themselves well to the format, too.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
My husband has seen at least two of the Star Wars movies at the symphony. I'm not much for Star Wars, but a friend and I jumped at the chance to see Little Mermaid. I was really impressed with how the live score impacted the movie. I will definitely see other movie performances. I think the Harry Potter movies would lend themselves well to the format, too.
They've been doing one HP movie a year here. We're up to Prisoner of Azkaban this year. In addition to the Star Wars trilogy, we've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark but missed E.T.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
Our local Orchestra did this last year with Fantasia. It was awesome!

Strangeite

Finally got to see Ladybird a couple of nights ago.

My initial impression after it was over that it reminded me of a combination of the Coen Bros and an early Wes Anderson flick. It was superb technically and the acting was great. I also felt that it captured that period of time better without being overly nostalgic.

My own complaint and it isn't really a complaint against the film but more a statement about me, is that I kept waiting for "something" to happen.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Finally got to see Ladybird a couple of nights ago.

My initial impression after it was over that it reminded me of a combination of the Coen Bros and an early Wes Anderson flick. It was superb technically and the acting was great. I also felt that it captured that period of time better without being overly nostalgic.

My own complaint and it isn't really a complaint against the film but more a statement about me, is that I kept waiting for "something" to happen.
I thought she went through a nice character arc, finding fulfillment in her own way in the end. Not much different than Rushmore, if you think about it. These character-driven stories are rarely about plot, rather, development. I really liked it.

Beanie Feldstein was very good as her sometimes-best friend, and was excellent in Booksmart just recently.

Fun story: Barry (Moonlight, If Beale Street...) Jenkins debuted Moonlight at Telluride in the first showing of the fest. A year later, after all his success, Ladybird premiered in the same slot, and he came back to introduce Greta, Saorise, Laurie, Tracey, etc., and the film, telling us that the time slot turned out to be very lucky for his success.

deedee73

Six of us saw Lion King today...4 of which were children ages 6 & 7. Everyone loved it! My son proclaimed it was the best movie and was so glad we saw it on his 6 1/2 birthday. My mom and I teared up several times and we hope to see it again. The audience as a whole was very diverse in ages and every one was singing the movies praises as we all left the theatre.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mrs Darling

Six of us saw Lion King today...4 of which were children ages 6 & 7. Everyone loved it! My son proclaimed it was the best movie and was so glad we saw it on his 6 1/2 birthday. My mom and I teared up several times and we hope to see it again. The audience as a whole was very diverse in ages and every one was singing the movies praises as we all left the theatre.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We saw it yesterday too & liked it a lot. Almost identical to the original. It had a few new jokes that kept it a little fresh, a little more character development for Nala and was beautifully done. My 15yo (who probably watched the original 100 times from age 3 to 5 and insisted we call her Simba half the time back then) and her 13yo sister both declared it a success.

Anne

My kids enjoyed the new Lion King. It was a fine way to pass the time. I feel like a curmudgeon, but the music and voices weren't as good as the original. If you gave me a choice I'd rather see the original again on the big screen.

Not That Josh

I saw Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. I'm not sure how to talk about the film because a significant part of my thoughts/feelings on it revolved around a central aspect of it.

I actually wrote a vague review here. When I read it back, I was concerned it said too much, so I removed it.

I can see now why Tarantino kept talking about Inglorious Basterds in interviews leading up to this film release. I didn't understand that before seeing it, but it makes sense now.

I tend to avoid reading reviews before I see something, but sometimes check after. Here are a couple of quotes from reviews I thought were funny.

outrageous, disorientating, irresponsible, and also brilliant
Big, brash, ridiculous, too long, and in the end invigorating

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I saw Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. I'm not sure how to talk about the film because a significant part of my thoughts/feelings on it revolved around a central aspect of it.

I actually wrote a vague review here. When I read it back, I was concerned it said too much, so I removed it.

I can see now why Tarantino kept talking about Inglorious Basterds in interviews leading up to this film release. I didn't understand that before seeing it, but it makes sense now.

I tend to avoid reading reviews before I see something, but sometimes check after. Here are a couple of quotes from reviews I thought were funny.
I really enjoyed it too, meandering plot and all. It's very much Tarantino's view of late-60s Hollywood, and says a lot about his (presumed) belief in the power of movies and TV. It is very much a fairy tale, as evidenced by the title, and the period detail is exceptional. I found it challenging and fun.

Not That Josh

I really enjoyed it too, meandering plot and all. It's very much Tarantino's view of late-60s Hollywood, and says a lot about his (presumed) belief in the power of movies and TV. It is very much a fairy tale, as evidenced by the title, and the period detail is exceptional. I found it challenging and fun.
Fairy tale and love letter were phrases that kept coming to mind while I watched and after. It felt different from Tarantino's movies in a way I can't describe but definitely experienced.