Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

Goofballs

Caught “Blinded by the Light” on discount Tuesday with my teenagers today. Although it moved slowly at times, overall it exceeded all of our expectations and prompted some very good conversations at the dinner table. Recommended.

Hubby and I went to see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood last night. It was a nice movie. From Slate:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is based on a 1998 Esquire profile of Rogers by journalist Tom Junod, but many of its details are straight from the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

I really enjoyed the story line. It was different from the documentary, but it did touch on Mr. Rogers bigger accomplishments, and a few scenes showed just how much of the populace Fred Rogers touched with his show.

The best thing about his message, is that ANYONE can choose to be like him, to choose to see and appreciate everyone for the good qualities they have.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Parasite just might be the movie of the year. Thrilling, though-provoking, funny, tragic, Hitchcockian. You will be hearing about this come Awards Season. Just go and don’t read too much up about it before you do.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Parasite just might be the movie of the year. Thrilling, though-provoking, funny, tragic, Hitchcockian. You will be hearing about this come Awards Season. Just go and don’t read too much up about it before you do.
It looks amazing and I've seen nothing but great reviews.

Not That Josh

JoJo Rabbit - I was slow to see this one, but I'm glad I did. It's fun and sweet, which you might not expect from a movie about a 10-year old boy in the Hitler Youth whose imaginary friend is Hitler himself.

Full disclosure, I am a big Taika Waititi fan, so I came to the movie with that bias.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
I saw The Good Liar on Thanksgiving. Excellent movie and brilliant performances by Helen Mirren and Ian McKellan.

Watched Noelle (on Disney+). It was a good family movie - hits all the beats you expect out of a Christmas film, wasn't too long, and had some cute moments.

BSS

The day after Thanksgiving my 21 year old and I took both his grandmothers (my mom and MIL) to see Frozen 2. It definitely wasn't as good as the first one and the music didn't do it for me, but I loved seeing it in that particular grouping.

Well, it's been a few days. How do folks feel about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? Without spoilers, I definitely came out with a happy, "warmed the cockles of my heart" feeling about the movie. It was a bit staggering at the beginning, you really have to keep up as they try to 'fix' what went wrong with the last one, but once that part is over, the adventure and story are just fine. I got my fill of new content, and just enough nostalgia to make me happy. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Otherwise, has anyone seen CATS yet? I'm going after Christmas, just to see what all the hubbub is about. This movie is getting the worst reviews I've seen in a long time. Reddit is predicting it'll be another cult classic along the lines of Plan 9 from Outer Space. I want to see this on the big screen, so yeah, they'll get my money.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
I finally watched Solo (even though I've had the movie forever!) yesterday. I really liked it! It was cool seeing how Han and Chewie became friends and how they got the Millennium Falcon. Probably going to go see The Rise of Skywalker on Saturday. Still want to see Knives Out and Ford vs. Ferrari.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Finally got around to seeing Sorry to Bother You, and didn't really enjoy it that much. It was strange, and didn't seem very cohesive.

LOVED Knives Out - the cast was amazing.

A few bones to pick with Rise of Skywalker but it was very entertaining.

Cats was... cats. Not sure why it is getting such bad reviews. To me, the CGI was clunky, but that seems to be because they want the 'stage' feel in the movie, so there were jerky leaps and jumps where onstage you would forgive the wires, but in CGI, there's no need for wires. The story is the same, the songs are nice. Idris Elba was fantastic in his role as Macavity. Judi Dench and Ian McKellen were really good, too. The new actress playing Victoria makes a very nice cat.
I didn't feel that the CGI costumes were creepy. It's cosplay.

If you go into the movie expecting to see people pretending to be cats, and you enjoyed the stage production, you should enjoy this too.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Parasite is a bandwagon choice, but it was probably the best movie I saw this year. Also really enjoyed Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, The Lighthouse, and Uncut Gems.

mgarbowski

Saw Parasite last weekend, even better than promised.
I also just saw it and will slightly and respectfully disagree. For me it failed to match the hype, but, I still highly recommend it. It just not as amazing as I was led to expect. Expectations aside, however, it it a worthwhile film, both fun and intelligent.