Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I also just saw it and will slightly and respectfully disagree. For me it failed to match the hype, but, I still highly recommend it. It just not as amazing as I was led to expect. Expectations aside, however, it it a worthwhile film, both fun and intelligent.
High expectation is the fallacy of hype, isn’t it? No film could possibly live up to that.

mgarbowski

High expectation is the fallacy of hype, isn’t it? No film could possibly live up to that.
Very much so. All I'm trying to do is temper the hype so others can enjoy a fine movie unburdened by unrealistic expectations.
And obviously many people believe it met the hype. But I'm certain there are others who will benefit from expecting a very strong but IMO not quite transcendent film.

George

I'm just back from The Invisible Man. This creepy, effective domestic horror thriller-cum-monster movie does a terrific job of building suspense as a nail-biting drama in its first hour, subverting the horror movie genre. But not to worry, the more visceral thrills do come later, paying homage to its monster movie roots while still staying true to its battered woman updates. It's likely way too late for Elisabeth Moss to escape her (physical and/or emotional) punching bag typecasting, but she does this kind of character so well, and her performance here is no exception. The sleek visuals and throbbing sound design add to the tension, and the story teeters on the brink of, but never goes over, the edge. There's just enough gore without being ridiculous to keep the teens awake, while delivering a more subtly metaphoric statement about abusive relationships. Australian director Leigh (Saw) Whannell proves he has the chops to make a genuine, mostly non-exploitive domestic thriller.

nolarookie

T
I'm just back from The Invisible Man. This creepy, effective domestic horror thriller-cum-monster movie does a terrific job of building suspense as a nail-biting drama in its first hour, subverting the horror movie genre. But not to worry, the more visceral thrills do come later, paying homage to its monster movie roots while still staying true to its battered woman updates. It's likely way too late for Elisabeth Moss to escape her (physical and/or emotional) punching bag typecasting, but she does this kind of character so well, and her performance here is no exception. The sleek visuals and throbbing sound design add to the tension, and the story teeters on the brink of, but never goes over, the edge. There's just enough gore without being ridiculous to keep the teens awake, while delivering a more subtly metaphoric statement about abusive relationships. Australian director Leigh (Saw) Whannell proves he has the chops to make a genuine, mostly non-exploitive domestic thriller.
Thanks for the review, looking forward to that one.

Although I’ll probably end up seeing Sonic the Hedgehog first. I’ll be sure to let y’all know how great it is.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
What he said!

I'll add that my teen (typical, cynical kid) said she was sweating the entire time she was so tense.

mgarbowski

We made it a family movie night watching Onward last night. Not Pixar’s best, but solid Pixar, which is better than most. Nails the emotional landing with the usual Pixar notes about family. Available for purchase outright for $20 from your favorite online movie purveyor because we can’t go to theaters.

George

We made it a family movie night watching Onward last night. Not Pixar’s best, but solid Pixar, which is better than most. Nails the emotional landing with the usual Pixar notes about family. Available for purchase outright for $20 from your favorite online movie purveyor because we can’t go to theaters.
Whenever I hear "family" or "kids'" movie I remember Roger Ebert telling us he once showed Au Hazard Balthazar, a French film (not much dialogue at all) about the life of a donkey, from birth on, to a group of children at a film festival, and each and every one of them was transfixed and moved.

My family and I watched Onward Sunday night. My wife and I enjoyed it, probably more than the kids. My five year old also enjoyed it, but thought some of the scenes were a little scary. About halfway through, my three year old got up from the couch, grabbed her tablet and headphones and watched youtube. So I'm guessing she wasn't as impressed, lol.

I feel like it was missing something I couldn't really put my finger on. The story was there. The characters were there. The small subtle details were there. Just *something* wasn't there.

It may have been missing that epic song that most Pixar movies have. It didn't have a "You Got a Friend in Me" or a "Remember Me".

Anyone else feel that way?

mgarbowski

My family and I watched Onward Sunday night. My wife and I enjoyed it, probably more than the kids. My five year old also enjoyed it, but thought some of the scenes were a little scary. About halfway through, my three year old got up from the couch, grabbed her tablet and headphones and watched youtube. So I'm guessing she wasn't as impressed, lol.

I feel like it was missing something I couldn't really put my finger on. The story was there. The characters were there. The small subtle details were there. Just *something* wasn't there.

It may have been missing that epic song that most Pixar movies have. It didn't have a "You Got a Friend in Me" or a "Remember Me".

Anyone else feel that way?
That's somewhat harsher than my opinion but not really inconsistent. It's why I said not Pixar's best. I didn't miss the songs. Those never added much for me, but that's personal preference. I thought it lacked a bit of a spark until the end. It had a bit fewer laughs, and I wasn't sure how much I really cared about the characters until the ending pulled it together.

Lasseter has character flaws, but he's a story-telling genius. I think we're feeling his absence. It seemed to me that Pixar was running the Lasseter playbook, but sometimes the playbook or recipe isn't everything. Two technically proficient musicians can play the same music and one leaves you gasping while the other makes you say "That was nice."

Last edited:

George

Lasseter has character flaws, but he's a story-telling genius. I think we're feeling his absence. It felt to me like Pixar was running the Lasseter playbook, but sometimes the playbook or recipe isn't everything. Two technically proficient musicians can play the same music and one leaves you gasping while the other makes you say "That was nice."
The proof of this is Gus Van Sant's shot-for-shot, exact remake of Hitchcock's Psycho. It was pretty much the exact same film, but it landed like a lead balloon.

Not That Josh

I really miss going to the theater to see a movie. I would take any blockbuster, independent, documentary, Oscar bait, or anything.

Alcachofa

I liked Onward. But agree it is not their best effort ever. But it's no Dinosaur, so that's something. Not every movie can be Finding Nemo. But this comment:
... reminds me I really want to see Coco again. That was a great one.

Thanks to a free trial of Epix on YouTubeTV, I've been rewatching the Bond films (Epix is showing all of the non-Craig films). I go through all the Bond movies every 2-3 years or so, but rarely do I watch them in release order. This time I figured I'd do that, so in the last few days I've watched Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger. Man, the '60s were different times.

We watched Onward as a family last weekend. My expectations were very low, but I was pleasantly surprised and we all enjoyed it. Certainly not the best Pixar ever, but certainly worth watching if you've got Disney+.

geek1997

We bought Onward and then noticed a week later that it was already on Disney+. Oh well, still cheaper than our family of four going to the movies. And Disney really needs the money right now ;)

Has anyone seen the new Emma? I've not been entirely please with some of the more "recent" remakes of Jane Austen's work but this one looks like they played up the snarkiness.

geek1997

I haven't watched the new Emma, but I love, love the BBC version. That is the only version I have watched of both Emma and Pride and Prejudice.
I agree whole-heartedly about P&P (though I think of it as the A&E version). I'm not sure I knew there was a BBC version of Emma. Watched BBC's Sense and Sensibility off Amazon Prime a while back, which was decent. And Jane Eyre.
They were all free about six months ago. Now I see they require a BritBox subscription. :confused:

Momofpirates

Emma was also available on Amazon Prime, but I don't know if it still is. Probably not, if the others require a subscription. DH bought me the dvds/blu-ray of P&P for my birthday last year because I watched it so much.

Denise25

My DD and I watched the new Emma. If you are a fan of the BBC version, this one may not satisfy you. I think it's probably a good movie on its own, if you're not comparing it the whole time to a previously watched favorite like we were. :)