Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
My kids are big fans of both Brooklyn 99 and Groundhog Day, do you think this is something they would enjoy?
Not sure how old your kids are, but it's rated R, and I'd say it's a solid R. There are some very explicitly portrayed sex acts. I don't recall if any there was any nudity, but there may have been.
Yeah, I second this - there's a ton of sexual references, portrayal of sex acts, etc. It's all played for laughs, but it definitely earned that "R." I don't recall nudity, either, but that doesn't mean I didn't just miss it.

Oh, and it's definitely R-rated language, too. Plenty of f-bombs and even the big C.
To answer your question then, yes! :RpS_tongue:

Strangeite

To answer your question then, yes! :RpS_tongue:
I think I will watch it first but typically we are far less “worried” about sex in media than gratuitous violence.

Probably the best example would be that we have no problem with our youngest son watching Amèlie but won’t let him watch Baby Driver yet.

RetroCOTfan

I think I will watch it first but typically we are far less “worried” about sex in media than gratuitous violence.

Probably the best example would be that we have no problem with our youngest son watching Amèlie but won’t let him watch Baby Driver yet.
And that's good parenting (IMO). :D

As for violence - fair warning (and spoiler? although I think it's in the trailer) a character gets shot with an arrow, and there are lots of different deaths. But they're also (obviously) played for laughs and there's zero gore. I don't even think there's any significant bleeding at any point.

It's a fun movie that's not too long (just 90 minutes), so it's a perfectly good summer comedy. Enjoy the ride! (And stick around for a mid-credits sequence at the end, too.)

For those who have already seen it, I also saw some trivia that, according to the writers,
Andy Samberg's character was stuck in the time loop for about 40 years.

George

I got a chuckle out of this.

Though if you've seen Us you'll know there's an error here, but that would be a spoiler.

1596211077936.jpeg

George

Not quite a movie, but the Making of Frozen 2 on Disney + was fascinating. I had no idea how much goes into making an animated movie.
This sounds interesting.

I remember when BATB came out there was not a small amount of controversy about its use of digital technologies in its production. One of the filmmakers pointed out that there was almost as much work involved in doing it that way than there was in the old-school method.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
This sounds interesting.

I remember when BATB came out there was not a small amount of controversy about its use of digital technologies in its production. One of the filmmakers pointed out that there was almost as much work involved in doing it that way than there was in the old-school method.
Animating scene by scene (different animators work on their assigned scene or character) , showing your work, having it constructively torn apart, doing it again. Writing songs, seeing how they fit into the scene, the rewriting to make the words perfect. Taking a song written on piano and turning it into an orchestral piece. The landscapes, the special effects, last minute rewriting of scenes after test audience comments. It's a bleep load of work. Their attention to every detail (e.g how does a cape flow in the wind--layers, wrinkles, shadows, etc., and how do we apply that to an animated cape) is amazing.

RetroCOTfan

This past Sunday, my family watched Empire Strikes Back. Which would be unremarkable, except we actually did it in a theater. Our local Cinemark is selling "Private Watch Parties" for $99 for groups up to 20, where they rent out an entire theater for you to view a "classic" movie of your choosing (I included the list below). We have 4 people in our family, and $25/ticket is steep for a movie - but since we aren't going to WDW this year, we figured it was worth the splurge. Between the "party" price, taxes, and (discounted) concessions, our total spent was about $140 for the four of us. My review? MONEY WELL SPENT.

Our family has been doing as much as we can to stay home during this pandemic. I've been working from home since mid-March, and while my wife has to go to her office, she has a private office and wears an N95 all day. Add in tons of handwashing, etc., and we've done the best we know how. My son (12) hasn't been indoors in a public place since early March. From a mental/emotional health perspective, getting out was a good thing for all of us.

We went into the experience with the understanding that, if there was anything that we saw that we knew wasn't following recommended guidelines or that made us feel uncomfortable/unsafe, we'd just leave. But there was not a single problem - Cinemark has done a great job. First, it was 11 a.m. on a Sunday, so while I'm sure the place normally would have been relatively slow, it was absolutely dead. There were only two other families/groups (about 8 people total) in the lobby the entire time we were printing tickets and getting concessions. When we exited, there was one other family standing in the hallway. Otherwise, we only saw employees. Social distancing was a breeze. The concessions area was being cleaned while we were ordering, and the theater seats had obviously been cleaned. They also provided seat wipes you could use to wipe your seat down, if desired. Masks were required everywhere, unless eating and drinking, and we saw 100% compliance. There was not a single thing that made us uncomfortable at any point.

Overall, it was nice to just get out of the house and do something "normal," even if under abnormal circumstances. It's pricey enough that we won't be doing it every week, for sure. But if things are still the same in a month or so, we'll definitely consider doing it again. If anyone is curious, here's the list of movies you can choose from:

The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Back to the Future
Goonies
Harry Potter 1
Despicable Me
Ghostbusters
Grease
Greatest Showman
Jumanji: Next Level
Mean Girls
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Zootopia
Black Panther
Beauty and the Beast (2017 live action)
Empire Strikes Back
Bad Boys for Life
Gremlins

Strangeite

This past Sunday, my family watched Empire Strikes Back. Which would be unremarkable, except we actually did it in a theater. Our local Cinemark is selling "Private Watch Parties" for $99 for groups up to 20, where they rent out an entire theater for you to view a "classic" movie of your choosing (I included the list below).
That is brilliant and I would love to do this! Unfortunately none of the Cinemarks in our area are participating yet. Hopefully they will soon.

geek1997

This past Sunday, my family watched Empire Strikes Back. Which would be unremarkable, except we actually did it in a theater. Our local Cinemark is selling "Private Watch Parties" for $99 for groups up to 20, where they rent out an entire theater for you to view a "classic" movie of your choosing (I included the list below).
Waiting (impatiently) for ours to do this. On a similar note, it appears Alamo Drafthouse has an On Demand system with a wide variety of new release movies.

RetroCOTfan

Fortunately for us, the theater we go to sits literally next door to Cinemark's corporate headquarters, so it is always first in line for new features. It was one of their first locations with XD, reserved seating, luxury recliners, an in-house bar, etc., and the first to have a VOID location open. (FWIW, the VOID was not open when we were there, but the current game was the Star Wars version that had been at Disney Springs.)

RetroCOTfan

This is brilliant. Ours is not doing this...yet.
I've kept an eye on this for several weeks, as my wife and I discussed doing it for a while before we pulled the trigger. Like I said, our theater is a "test site," so it and one other in the city were the first two to make this available. Since then, the number of theaters participating has increased every week, so I'm sure they'll keep rolling it out nationwide. On Sunday, nearly every available time slot (out of about 30) was reserved, and Saturday was the same. Based on the sheer lack of people there, I'm guessing they will do whatever they can to get some revenue right now.