Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I did like the biting satire of Sorry to Bother You, but agree it’s not for everyone.

Agree about The Art of Self Defense; I just didn’t connect with it. A friend raved about it, and I kept waiting for it to get better.

I binged all three seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which I really enjoyed. Very well-drawn characters, great writing. Deserving of all its awards. Starf#cker Moment: Greg and I are good friends with Rachel Brosnahan’s mom! She lives near us, where Rachel grew up.

I watched Season One of Bosch, a police procedural series on Amazon Prime, based on Michael Cunningham LA Cop novels. It was mildly engaging, if stretched out a bit. I’ll give Season Two a whirl to see if the next story is good.

The Good Fight continues to amaze. Episode 1 of Season 4 is a stand-alone “alternative reality” episode which imagines a world if Hillary won in 2016. It’s at turns hilarious, horrifying, and bittersweet, a modern-day It’s a Wonderful Life. You’ll Do a double-take when you learn Harvey Weinstein is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. No real spoilers, so check it out if you want an absorbing and thoughtful 40 minutes.

Not That Josh

Anyone who hasn't watched "Watchmen" has to. "The Outsider" I liked also. "McMillions" I think it was called was interesting but the fact that everyone was named Jerry was confusing and it probably could have been an episode shorter. All that is HBO. Perry Mason might be my next show.

Watched Jurassic Park on Netflix the other day, which may hold up better than just about anything.

I'm watching "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix while I ride my exercise bicycle. It is certainly an interesting world that they've created though I'm not sure it entirely delivers. About half way through season two. Only pay about 25% attention.

Love Ozark.

I am still big on Mr. Robot, which has come to its conclusion. The first three seasons are on Amazon Prime. You may need to be slightly tech-y to get into it, which may be why it didn't garner a larger audience.

Was going to respond to individual shows, but I will just say I enjoyed all of the ones I bolded.

Also, agree about Jurassic Park, I always think the CGI will look outdated, but it never does.

RetroCOTfan

Also, agree about Jurassic Park, I always think the CGI will look outdated, but it never does.

One of the reasons Jurassic Park holds up so well, IMO, is that so much of it was not CGI. IIRC, there are only about 5 minutes of computer-generated effects in the entire film. They used a ton of practical effects in a time right when movies were transitioning to CGI - but when CGI was new and, well, generally pretty awful. So when you stack Jurassic Park up against its peers from that time period (or even later - compare the realistic look of Jurassic Park with the glossy smoothness of Star Wars Episode I, which came along 6 years later) it's just an entirely different creature.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Just started "I Am Not Okay With This" on Netflix. The tone is VERY similar to "The End of the F***ing World" which we LOVED, and it was developed by one of TEOTFW's producers. It's eminently bingeable with just seven episodes, each between 19-28 minutes long. Also the music is FANTASTIC.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Just started "I Am Not Okay With This" on Netflix. The tone is VERY similar to "The End of the F***ing World" which we LOVED, and it was developed by one of TEOTFW's producers. It's eminently bingeable with just seven episodes, each between 19-28 minutes long. Also the music is FANTASTIC.

Have you watched Enlightened, with Laura Dern? It's an HBO series, only two seasons (18 episodes) at 25 minutes each. Brilliant comedy-drama, acerbic wit, well-drawn characters.

DopeyRunr

Never heard of that - I’ll check it out. After tonight we’ll need something new to binge...

DopeyRunr

I have an irrational dislike of Ben Affleck but every once in a while he drops a The Town or Gone Baby Gone.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I am also big on the "Rocky" franchise including the more recent ones and Creed I and II. Really well done. I just turned Creed II on now (Hulu). But don't worry! Back to work tomorrow!

probably...

merbears

I like the look of Lovecraft but I tend to wait until about 2/3 of a way into a season to start because I am bad at waiting for new episodes.

Anyone who hasn't watched "Watchmen" has to. "The Outsider" I liked also. "McMillions" I think it was called was interesting but the fact that everyone was named Jerry was confusing and it probably could have been an episode shorter. All that is HBO. Perry Mason might be my next show.

Watched Jurassic Park on Netflix the other day, which may hold up better than just about anything.

I'm watching "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix while I ride my exercise bicycle. It is certainly an interesting world that they've created though I'm not sure it entirely delivers. About half way through season two. Only pay about 25% attention.

Love Ozark.

Dark is still the best show on Netflix.

I am still big on Mr. Robot, which has come to its conclusion. The first three seasons are on Amazon Prime. You may need to be slightly tech-y to get into it, which may be why it didn't garner a larger audience.

For adults who like strange movies I would recommend "Sorry To Bother You." But this is very much not for everybody. I can't say much about it without ruining it. But it it not what you're expecting even as you watch it. That's on Hulu.

I didn't enjoy "The Art of Self Defense" as much as I thought I would but I might have been in a bad mood. I thought it tried to be a little too clever, like a Sorkin script where nobody actually talks like that. Good reviews. Also on Hulu.

Love Umbrella Academy! Watched Warrior Nun this week. Some episodes are slow but glad I didn’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merbears

There is a really funny twitter feed about Jurassic Park. Premise is posts come from current park employees. It’s humor is on the dark / adult side but my new guilty pleasure. Not officially affiliated w Universal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not That Josh

Comparing it to "The End of the F***ing World" means it will be on my list immediately. I don't remember why I started "The End..." since no one recomended it to me. I will say it's not for everyone, but I enjoyed every minute.

DopeyRunr

Comparing it to "The End of the F***ing World" means it will be on my list immediately. I don't remember why I started "The End..." since no one recomended it to me. I will say it's not for everyone, but I enjoyed every minute.

i no longer say “thank you” I only say “thonks”

Faz

Anyone watch Dark? Netflix show. Watched the whole thing trying to figure it out. Still trying to figure it out.

DopeyRunr

I was very disappointed with the end of Dark. Needed to read some websites to understand everything that happened.