Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I actually didn't like most of it the first time I saw it as I recall. It seemed largely meandering and self-indulgent. How long can I watch Brad Pitt drive around? It probably is both of those things, but I was wrong about it being boring.

"Eight whiskey sours" is one of my favorite scenes of all time. So good.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I actually didn't like most of it the first time I saw it as I recall. It seemed largely meandering and self-indulgent. How long can I watch Brad Pitt drive around? It probably is both of those things, but I was wrong about it being boring.

"Eight whiskey sours" is one of my favorite scenes of all time. So good.
Some great movies I go into expecting one thing, and when it turns out to be different I find reasons to say I didn't like it. Witness was one of those movies for me. I still haven't screwed up enough courage to give Out of Africa (the same year) another shot.

RetroCOTfan

I still haven't screwed up enough courage to give Out of Africa (the same year) another shot.
You should try it - if for no other reason than the fact that part of the soundtrack is included in the background music loop for the Soarin' queue.

George

You should try it - if for no other reason than the fact that part of the soundtrack is included in the background music loop for the Soarin' queue.
Oh, I know. It's a gorgeous score. And I'm sure my 54 year-old self will have much more patience with it than my 19 year-old self did, though I was a pretty sophisticated moviegoer even back then.

RetroCOTfan

Oh, I know. It's a gorgeous score. And I'm sure my 54 year-old self will have much more patience with it than my 19 year-old self did, though I was a pretty sophisticated moviegoer even back then.
I'm constantly amazed at what I'll watch (and enjoy) now, at 43, that wouldn't have interested me in the slightest at 23 or 33.

ThemeParkCommando

Hubby and I watched 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' again. That movie is uproariously funny. We first saw it in the theater, and only chose it because we always see one move a month, and that seemed the best option at the time. We weren't expecting much but a little action /adventure type movie.

It has become one of our favorites. I like it better than any of the Die Hard movies. It has a bunch of quotable lines and the two main actors, Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson just play off each other so well. Salma Hayek is also good in her role. The sequel " The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard" is due to be out in 2021. Like all sequels, I will go in not expecting too much, but I hope it at least manages to bring back a quarter of the comedy of the first one.

George

I'm excited Fargo is coming back this weekend.
I'm right there with you. Fargo always seems like an "event." It's just so beautifully done, and every episode feels like a mini movie. But the fact that it only has one cinematography Emmy seems almost criminal.
Same here. This season promises to be quite the challenge, with a couple dozen characters. It's always fun to find the Coen Bros film references, as well as how each season's story relates to the stories of the other seasons.

sprout

It's a documentary, but if you are interested in climate change and it's link with agriculture, Kiss the Ground on Netflix is great.

Side note: as a farmer currently in the process of converting from conventional agriculture to regenerative agriculture, the benefits they show are real, but the switch is also not as simple as they imply.

geek1997

It's a documentary, but if you are interested in climate change and it's link with agriculture, Kiss the Ground on Netflix is great.

Side note: as a farmer currently in the process of converting from conventional agriculture to regenerative agriculture, the benefits they show are real, but the switch is also not as simple as they imply.
Curious what 'regenerative agriculture' means for your situation. I follow the Terraton Initiative on Instagram and they have some interesting ideas. But I have always wondered how easy it really is to implement big change.

bnoble

he's right
If you wondered about the future of big-budget films in a post-COVID world, Disney is releasing Pixar's Soul on Disney+ at no additional cost. (A little surprising; it sounded like Mulan didn't do half bad in PVOD sales.)

George

If you wondered about the future of big-budget films in a post-COVID world, Disney is releasing Pixar's Soul on Disney+ at no additional cost. (A little surprising; it sounded like Mulan didn't do half bad in PVOD sales.)
That's a really bad thing for the movie theatre industry. All that revenue (in normal times) lost for theatres.

Strangeite

2020 will be the first year in a decade that there will be no new MCU movies.

I also am curious if the reasoning for pushing the new Jurassic World movie from summer of 2021 to 2022 is because they don't think there will be theater attendance in 2021 or if they are just worried that the calendar will be overcrowded because of all of the other movies pushed back.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I think the release schedule/overcrowding issue is why Disney/Pixar's Soul is going straight to Disney+. If they felt there was room for it in the schedule, they almost certainly would have moved it to 2021/2022. But Disney seems to plan out releases (especially for the interdependent MCU films) so far in advance, it makes this even more disruptive.

I can't see theaters being widely reopened nationwide AND consumers being overwhelmingly comfortable in a sold out theater until VERY late in 2021 at the earliest. And by then, how many theaters will have closed?

I think TWDC's recent restructuring around direct-to-consumer and streaming content reflects similar expectations.

Mrs Darling

As someone who loves movies, and especially the movie theatre experience, your analysis makes me sad (because I think you’re correct in that timing.) We’re in a small market and currently have only 1 cineplex with 2 mid-size theatres & 8 small ones. The chances of it surviving are slim, I would say.
Then again, I wouldn’t have thought WDW wait times/attendance would be rising just as the second wave was hitting, so what do I know.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
By the way, we finally got around to watching Dolomite Is My Name over the weekend and it was a lot of fun.