Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Well...5 days after my 2nd Pfizer shot I was exposed. Banished to 1 room at home for the weekend.

I caved and signed up for Netflix (the last time I had Netflix was back when they mailed DVDs and had no original content).

What should I watch?

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get through this relatively unscathed.
As for Netflix, funny you should ask, because a I’ve kept a list of things I’ve watched. I’ve put an asterisk by things that are especially noteworthy.

The Twilight Zone - I Sing the Body Electric
*Russian Doll
*The Queen’s Gambit
*The Crown, Seasons 3 and 4
*Schitt’s Creek
*My Octopus Teacher
*Ozark
*i’m thinking of ending things
Mank
*Da 5 Bloods
I’m Divine
Dick Johnson is Dead
Julie & Julia
*The 40-Year-Old Version
*Dead to Me

Last edited:

George

Now I’m watching Pretend It’s a City, the Scorsese documentary about Fran Lebowitz and him visiting parts of Mew York City and talking. It has new significance now that the pandemic is upon us.

Last edited:

Not That Josh

*Russian Doll
*The Queen’s Gambit
*Schitt’s Creek
*My Octopus Teacher
*Ozark
*Dead to Me
Thanks George!

I wasn't going to answer because knowing what someone else likes is a big part of suggesting shows/movies. However, after seeing George's list I decided to quote things he listed which I also saw and liked. The shows in his quote above are things I seconded (not as helpful as George).

Also, hope to hear everything is good through the weekend.

RetroCOTfan

I feel compelled to second (third?) the suggestions for both The Queen's Gambit and Schitt's Creek. Both masterful, in completely different ways. I wish I could watch both of them for the first time again.

Hope everything is well!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
We just finished binging The Dragon Prince on Netflix. If you're a fan of Avatar and Korra you'll LOVE Dragon Prince. The creator of DP was a head writer on Avatar, and it has a similar feel with a good balance of humor and action. I don't love the animation style, but it's a pretty fun show.

Three seasons, 9 episodes per season (around 22 minutes each) so very easy to binge.

D

Deleted member 519

We’ve been watching Cobra Kai. It’s such a guilty pleasure. If you liked the Karate Kid movies from the 80’s and like brain-candy television, you might want to give it a try.

merbears

Well...5 days after my 2nd Pfizer shot I was exposed. Banished to 1 room at home for the weekend.

I caved and signed up for Netflix (the last time I had Netflix was back when they mailed DVDs and had no original content).

What should I watch?

Anne with an “E”. When I was sick and isolated I binged this show . It was somewhat soothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangeite

Over the past week I rewatched Johnny Mnemonic and David Lynch's Dune. I hadn't seen either in at least 20 years. Forgotten that Johnny was set in the far off future of 2021. January of 2021 to be exact. The movie was worse than I remembered. Nostalgia is a heck of a drug, so I am glad I watched it but couldn't recommend it to others.

Dune was just as bad as I remembered but I appreciate the Lynchian parts of it much more now that I am older. It's clear that the Wachowski's Jupiter Ascending was a love letter to Dune. Nobody in my family particularly cared for Jupiter Ascending and I think they would have liked Dune even less, but I have a soft spot for the over-the-top, scenery chewing, space operas from the mid-70s to mid-80s that don't exist anymore.

I’m not sure I am. I think the eight episode delivered a pretty satisfying story arc. What more can they do, and more importantly, why would they need to?

I actually felt that way after the first episode. If I was in charge of making a season 2, I would not try to do a continuation of the story from season 1, but rather a completely different story with different characters but utilizing much of the same cast. I haven't watched them, but I understand that is what they do with the American Horror Story series.

George

I actually felt that way after the first episode. If I was in charge of making a season 2, I would not try to do a continuation of the story from season 1, but rather a completely different story with different characters but utilizing much of the same cast. I haven't watched them, but I understand that is what they do with the American Horror Story series.

I got tired of seeing the same scenes played over and over, but that's more a function of the Repeating Day genre, and not necessarily a shortcoming of Russian Doll. It was better done than usual, but I'm still glad it was only eight episodes.

Strangeite

I got tired of seeing the same scenes played over and over, but that's more a function of the Repeating Day genre, and not necessarily a shortcoming of Russian Doll. It was better done than usual, but I'm still glad it was only eight episodes.
There all kinds of neat nesting doll concepts that could be explored besides temporal loops.

Anne

Thanks for all the great suggestions 😊
All still good with me
My Octopus Teacher is lingering on my mind. Amazing visuals. What I didn't expect was the human storyline. So well done.

George

Unorthodox tells the story of a 19 year-old bride in a strict Hasidic community in Brooklyn who decides to escape her unhappy arranged marriage by running away to Berlin to start a new life. The four-part Netflix movie is absolutely riveting, and it's aided by excellent performances all around. This is one of those peeks into a world that's notoriously private, but the story is derived and expanded from the memoir Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman. I watched all 3-1/2 hours in one sitting.

RetroCOTfan

Unorthodox tells the story of a 19 year-old bride in a strict Hasidic community in Brooklyn who decides to escape her unhappy arranged marriage by running away to Berlin to start a new life. The four-part Netflix movie is absolutely riveting, and it's aided by excellent performances all around. This is one of those peeks into a world that's notoriously private, but the story is derived and expanded from the memoir Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman. I watched all 3-1/2 hours in one sitting.

We watched this several months ago, and I agree with your review. Powerful performances and a moving story that felt both intimate and disquieting. A truly fascinating look, like you said, into a culture that is virtually never portrayed in pop culture, for obvious reasons. It almost felt like a documentary - but a compelling one.

George

Movie lovers! There's a great Mubi streaming deal for three months free.

"The concept is refreshingly simple: every day, a film curator hand-picks one amazing film, which members then have 30 days to watch. It means that, unlike services such as Netflix, Blinkbox and Amazon Prime, there are only 30 films available at any given moment, ranging from indie flicks to cult and classic cinema."

There's quite a list of great films. Cancel before renewal if you don't like it. It's usually $10.99/month.

Click the link to sign up. No, I don't get kickbacks from this; just thought I'd share.

Mubi 3-Month Free Promotion

ThemeParkCommando

I am recommending a new series. We watched "Resident Alien" starring Alan Tudyk. It's on the SyFy channel, the first episode was Wednesday. It's funny, and a little uncomfortable. Give it a try. Alan Tudyk has become one of my favorite actors. He played Hodan Washburn (Wash) in Firefly, and he has Disney cred! He is the voice of the Duke of Weselton in Frozen, Duke Weaselton in Zootopia, Alistair Krei in Big Hero 6, Hei Hei in Moana, and the droid K2SO in Rogue One.