Seen any good movies? Or bad ones?

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I am recommending a new series. We watched "Resident Alien" starring Alan Tudyk. It's on the SyFy channel, the first episode was Wednesday. It's funny, and a little uncomfortable. Give it a try. Alan Tudyk has become one of my favorite actors. He played Hodan Washburn (Wash) in Firefly, and he has Disney cred! He is the voice of the Duke of Weselton in Frozen, Duke Weaselton in Zootopia, Alistair Krei in Big Hero 6, Hei Hei in Moana, and the droid K2SO in Rogue One.
Wasn't the first episode or a very extended first look on a while ago? I seem to recall watching it and then having no clue when it finally came out.

RetroCOTfan

Why did it take me so long to start watching Fargo??? The juxtaposition of quirky awkwardness and graphic violence. OMG. I'm two episodes in and hooked.
I envy the journey that you are embarking on. Each season is its own wonderful story - and the cinematography is so frequently jaw-dropping that it's easy to take it for granted.

Man, I wish I could go back and watch Fargo for the first time again.

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Little Things, the Denzel Washington-Rami Malek-Jared Leto movie, came out in theaters and on HBOMax simultaneously (that's their 2021 release plan). It was okay, not great, despite the performances of the three Oscar winners. The pacing felt off to me. They could have tightened things up and shaved 20-30 minutes off without really losing anything.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Italian director Pietro Marcello's stunning Martin Eden is an ingenious update and transposition of the Jack London novel of the same name. Its semi-autobiographical story of an idealistic, uneducated young laborer who initially goes to school to study and win the affections of the upper-class young woman he's smitten with. Though the years, he becomes a writer and discovers that her beliefs and the environment she comes from are in polar opposites to his own deeply-held beliefs. The tragedy of how he deals with his ideologies is devastating, and the assured performance and cinematic direction are in perfect synch with his epic story.

YySTS5gl.jpg

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

Has anyone else on here watched the spy show on Amazon called Patriot? It's billed as a dark comedy. We are absolutely loving it because it is one of the strangest most hilarious shows we've ever seen. We're halfway through the first season and can't honestly tell if the spy is a low key genius or if he has absolutely no idea how to actually do any spy stuff. I can't really even describe how bizarre this show is.

As one, tiny example, I offer this clip. The spy is posing undercover as an engineer in a piping company and he blew a presentation (because he doesn't actually know anything about piping or engineering) so the boss is giving an example of how to make an effective sales pitch. It's just bonkers.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
I am recommending a new series. We watched "Resident Alien" starring Alan Tudyk. It's on the SyFy channel, the first episode was Wednesday. It's funny, and a little uncomfortable. Give it a try. Alan Tudyk has become one of my favorite actors. He played Hodan Washburn (Wash) in Firefly, and he has Disney cred! He is the voice of the Duke of Weselton in Frozen, Duke Weaselton in Zootopia, Alistair Krei in Big Hero 6, Hei Hei in Moana, and the droid K2SO in Rogue One.
I just recommended this to my niece last night. A little quirky, kinda cute, funny and very enjoyable

George

Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution is a documentary which has a way of creeping up on you and surprising you with the power of its characters, campers who met in the early ‘70s at a camp for the disabled who experienced for the first time the feeling of belonging. In their post-camp years, they face a world not only not designed with them in mind, but one that barely recognizes them as full human beings. Slowly they begin a movement to be recognized and eventually become major players in getting the Americans With Disabilities Act passed. It’s a universal journey of empowerment and pride. Highly recommended.

IiKjn3U.jpg

George

Frank Oz directs In and Of Itself, a film of magician Derek DelGaudio’s hit one-man show. It packs magic, storytelling, and philosophy into an unforgettable 90 minutes. The less you know abut it going in the better, as its purpose gradually reveals itself and is part of the pleasure of watching this. Edited from footage from multiple shows, the effect helps answer the questions one would have about how other audiences reacted. Be prepared to be blown away. And keep on the lookout for famous folk in the audience.

Strangeite

When I woke up this morning, I never imagined that I would go to bed a huge Britney Spears fan, but here we are.

The NYT Presents episode Framing Britney is really good and infuriating. It is streaming on FX and Hulu.

#FreeBritney

DopeyRunr

We watched Sound of Metal over the weekend. Incredible performance by Riz Ahmed and the sound design of the movie was fantastic. Our area is home to NTID and has one of the largest populations of deaf/hard of hearing (if not THE largest) in the country, so I was very pleased to see that the film was well-received by that community.

Strangeite

I don't think it has been recommended on here before but Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a wonderfully charming and funny movie.

ThemeParkCommando

I don't think it has been recommended on here before but Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a wonderfully charming and funny movie.

This is on my list. Ever since learning about him in Thor: Ragnarok, I have been following more and more of Taika Waititi's work. His sense of timing and comedic flair just mesh about perfectly with mine. Thanks for the reminder!