Skyliner Worries

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
Inaugural easywdw bar-fly once Riviera opens. Thinking we need shirts that say "feels crowded" or "fill in all available space" with a picture of food on a trash can.

Stop 1: Epcot. Something at France or UK. Maybe an extra stop at Beach Club since its also right outside International Gateway.
Stop 2: Disney Rivera Resort. Rooftop drink at Topolino or a glass of wine at the poolside bar.
Stop 3: Caribbean Beach Resort. Banana Cabana!
Stop 4: Hollywood Studios.
Stop 5: Pop / AOA. I think a drink at each would be good.

Who is with me?!
I'm in too!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Inaugural easywdw bar-fly once Riviera opens. Thinking we need shirts that say "feels crowded" or "fill in all available space" with a picture of food on a trash can.

Stop 1: Epcot. Something at France or UK. Maybe an extra stop at Beach Club since its also right outside International Gateway.
Stop 2: Disney Rivera Resort. Rooftop drink at Topolino or a glass of wine at the poolside bar.
Stop 3: Caribbean Beach Resort. Banana Cabana!
Stop 4: Hollywood Studios.
Stop 5: Pop / AOA. I think a drink at each would be good.

Who is with me?!
This sounds a lot more cumbersome than a simple monorail hop, requires park admission, and features less appealing stops. Other than that, I'm in! :RpS_biggrin:

simbasmom

I'm really afraid of what the increased crowds at the International Gateway will do to the popularity of BCV and the relaxing stroll in to the IG and a morning pastry in France. It may put and end to the appeal to me.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I'm really afraid of what the increased crowds at the International Gateway will do to the popularity of BCV and the relaxing stroll in to the IG and a morning pastry in France. It may put and end to the appeal to me.
I suspect your worries will turn out to be unfounded, but time will tell.

Anne

What REALLY bothers me about this is that Disney is blatantly lying about it being "stalled" and "unexpected down time". And CNN is only reporting what Disney is feeding them? When there are pictures and videos all over twitter of a several car pile-up coming into the Riviera station. They emailed bloggers requesting them to remove the term "accident" from their coverage. Touringplans described this as an "incident" and never once used the term accident in their coverage. So much for their claims of being an unbiased independent site.

When a car hits a car in front of it and it results in metal crunching and broken glass try telling the police officer it's an "incident" and a "stalled car" not an accident.

The Disney company has completely lost any shred of integrity. To me this is a whole new level of disappointment.

Micah008

...a several car pile-up coming into the Riviera station...
Not defending Disney, but the car that "stalled" was actually leaving the Riviera station, not coming into it... which means it happened at a much slower speed than people are imagining. For some reason the blue car didn't properly attach to the main haul line (the faster 11 mph line) so the yellow cars behind it pushed into it (at ~1 mph) causing them to get stacked up. Disney (and the manufacturer) clearly need to understand what happened, and keep it from happening again... but at least it was at night when it was a little cooler, and no one got hurt.

Alcachofa

As a skier who has ridden this type of system too many times to count, I can't imagine why it took so long to get the cars running again. Abundance of caution? But, isn't leaving people on the gondolas for three hours the opposite of cautious? Get some lifties down there, they would have had it running again in 10 minutes so they could get back to doing their bong hits. :RpS_laugh:

EDIT: After I posted, more info came out about how the delay was caused by having to do medical evacuations from gondolas in the sky. So, yeah, that makes sense, though I do wonder if they really *had* to do the evacuations that way, or if people would have been better off if they just let the gondolas run again.

Last edited:

hizouse

Touringplans described this as an "incident" and never once used the term accident in their coverage. So much for their claims of being an unbiased independent site.
I agree with your larger point, and I was going to say that this particular touringplans post isn't that bad. They did link to the Sentinel article and use the word "crashed" ("[FONT=&quot]images on social media showed several gondolas that had crashed into each other at the Riviera Station on the Epcot line."). That's much better than their usual slight rewording of Disney press releases. On the other hand, I'd wager that the beginning of the last paragraph ("[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Out of an abundance of caution, Disney has temporarily shut down the Skyliners to investigate the cause of the incident") came straight from Disney. [/FONT]

kristenb

As a skier who has ridden this type of system too many times to count, I can't imagine why it took so long to get the cars running again. Abundance of caution? But, isn't leaving people on the gondolas for three hours the opposite of cautious? Get some lifties* down there, they would have had it running again in 10 minutes so they could get back to doing their bong hits. :RpS_laugh:

*Slang for ski lift operators.
Ditto all of this. I’ve never in 20 years of skiing out west had nor heard of a gondola incident, so I find it odd that “newer”(?) engineering/tech isn’t as good as the tried and true? Bizarre.

TiggerGirl

Not defending Disney, but the car that "stalled" was actually leaving the Riviera station, not coming into it... which means it happened at a much slower speed than people are imagining. For some reason the blue car didn't properly attach to the main haul line (the faster 11 mph line) so the yellow cars behind it pushed into it (at ~1 mph) causing them to get stacked up. Disney (and the manufacturer) clearly need to understand what happened, and keep it from happening again... but at least it was at night when it was a little cooler, and no one got hurt.
I saw a video that showed shattered glass lying to the right of the blue car....it would have to be going faster than 1mph to shatter plexiglass wouldn't it?

I honestly was not super happy about riding in these and was happy to move our DVC from RR to BWV three months ago but BF said noooooo let's keep it at RR,.it will be fine. I'm really not happy.

I know it's an attraction, I know they break down, I know no one was injured. But I'm still scared. And this didn't help.

Micah008

I saw a video that showed shattered glass lying to the right of the blue car....it would have to be going faster than 1mph to shatter plexiglass wouldn't it?
From what I have read the eyewitness accounts said that they were moving at the slower speed trying to leave the station... with the blue car being stuck. They also said that for 5 minutes before this the line wasn't even moving, and then when it started moving those pushed into it. I get your point, but I think there is so much force behind the motors running these lines that it doesn't take a lot of speed to forcefully push them against each others. They also have been leaving the vents open for airflow, so the broken plexiglass may have just been one of those that got pushed into from the end.

The other thing I have read from a few sources now is that a large part of the reason for the 3 hour timing is that a medical 911 call came from one of the cabins, and they had to find which cabin (which took longer than it should have) and then do an evacuation of that specific car, only then they were able to actually get the line moving again and evacuate all others to the stations. But, they had to give the 911 call priority before getting everyone else off. It will be interesting if we ever learn what that call was about, and if it even had to do with the "accident" or was separate.

Micah008

From another forum:
A poster who has proven well connected to Skyliner info in the past ... quotes another allegedly well connected individual that a large driver in the delay was an early 911 call for medical assistance to a specific cabin. RCFD getting to the medical call became job one (of course) yet it took a long time to locate the appropriate cabin (look for changes to exterior labeling). Meanwhile additional 911 calls drove additional rescues. Not until RCFD was "off rescue" could the line move - for obvious reasons. Once RCFD was clear of the line it could, and did run to discharge remaining passengers.

NJD8598

Glad to see some posts here with good insight, I've been following this closely since it happened, it's really just a crazy situation. I understand Disney trying to control the message but this message was lost as soon as the first social media posts were made. This is one of the most well documented ride/transportation incidents ever to happen at Disney World, furthermore press releases from the fire union seem accurate to the images everyone saw and inconsistent with Disney's original statement. I immediately wondered how something like this could occur as you would think there would be some type of safety switches or trips that would specifically prevent the cars from piling up...of all the incidents that could happen, it seems like one of the more likely ones...and therefore something that would have a built in safety.

As for the rescue side....it was immediately apparent that night that RCFD would be overwhelmed. I've worked in emergency services for almost 20 years and while I don't claim to have any knowledge of this gondola system or how RCFD operates, I can tell a major incident when I see one. I'm monitoring twitter that night and thinking this is going to take half the night to evacuate all these cars. I was able to see Orange County units had been dispatched to the Epcot area as mutual aid, but still you can only operate so fast. The video posted on Youtube(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokEXT9agUY&feature=youtu.be) of the rescue that did occur is a pretty good example of how slow the process is. I can only imagine the conversations over coffee at the firehouse breakfast tables across Disney World these past few days, I'm sure they saw this coming just didn't expect it to be so soon.

Will be interesting to see how things progress, would love to see a statement from gondola company too. Thank God it wasn't during the day.

HeyHeather

That night they were: Careening Cupboards in Creeky Custody

And will be remembered as: Smooshed Steamers of Swaying Stressors

All about me

The Disney company has completely lost any shred of integrity. To me this is a whole new level of disappointment.
And to make things worse:

They didn't offer refunds. They offered compensation that would generate more revenue.

My grandmother owned and ran her own business and she used to say (paraphrasing because it was not in english), if I give them their money back, I am saying it is my fault but I give them a coupon I am saying they found a fault.

Giving 'free' tickets is like giving coupons.

That said, I love gondolas and if it wasn't for the anti-smoking thing, I would be tempted to go back for these alone. After all, I have been riding Cedar Point's gandolos for years and they bang against each other all the time and... never mind.