Soarin' Refurb - 6 months long?

bnoble

he's right
Certainly possible. They'll have to reconfigure the queue when the third theater comes online, and they also plan to change out the projection technology to switch to digital. The queue reconfiguration alone is going to take a while.

D

Deleted member 832

The only part of that report that makes no sense at all is that when it does reopen it is still expected to have the old Soarin' over CA movie. Why would they go to the trouble of making the new movie, upgrade everything and keep the old movie?
I'd say the rest of it is needed and likely accurate.
It needs a new queue
The building needs reconfigured bathrooms

namkraps

They should totally do Soarin' over FL or somehow down the east coast (if there isn't enough geo diversity for totally FL) to end at Cinderella's Castle as the movie!

Last edited:

3dadknight

No doubt it needs the improvements. We rode a couple of times last month and the screen and film were both in pretty bad shape. It will be interesting to see the dynamics of EP crowds while its down. We'll be there in early February. I may have to shuffle some of the plans.

pixarprincess

They did the one out here at California Adventure not too long ago. Still the same film, but MUCH improved screen and projection quality. And then if they film new content thats an easy adjustment, its just loading the new files and updating the ride motion to match. Replacing the screen and projectors is a much more tedious process.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
They did the one out here at California Adventure not too long ago. Still the same film, but MUCH improved screen and projection quality. And then if they film new content thats an easy adjustment, its just loading the new files and updating the ride motion to match. Replacing the screen and projectors is a much more tedious process.
I agree the film and sound is much improved.

The DCA refurb only took a month or two, which even seems too long to replace a screen and sound system. I'm sure it's the queue that's going to take the majority of the time.

D

Deleted member 832

I realize they kept the old movie at DCA but they hadn't filmed a new one at that time. They have filmed a new one. They have announced a new one is coming. What I don't get is if you are going to close it down and rework everything wouldn't that be the logical time to release the new movie too?

D

Deleted member 832

They should totally do Soarin' over FL or somehow down the east coast (if there isn't enough geo diversity for totally FL) to end at Cinderella's Castle as the movie!
The new movie is already filmed. It's Soarin' over the World (but don't quote me on the title)

George

That sounds really cool. I've always wanted to see a bird's eye view of an Olive Garden!

pixarprincess

I realize they kept the old movie at DCA but they hadn't filmed a new one at that time. They have filmed a new one. They have announced a new one is coming. What I don't get is if you are going to close it down and rework everything wouldn't that be the logical time to release the new movie too?
maybe, maybe not. I would speculate they will want to release the new film on both coasts at the same time. and I wouldnt put it past them to wait for an anniversary or something more monumental to make the swap. Who knows maybe they will release the new film once the have WDW's refurbed. Maybe they are programming the ride movement changes and thats why its 6mo. even if they dont release it immediately. Potentially I would guess the technology is smart enough that they could program and run both one right after the other if they wanted to (not that I think they will)...

I like soarin over CA even though I live here (and thought it was a pretty stupid concept initially to put the ride with footage in a market where we can actually go see those things for real). And I am looking forward to the world version as well.

bnoble

he's right
Also, while they may have captured all the footage they need, there is still editing the footage into a reasonable ride video, scoring it and then recording the music, programming the ride system to match the new movements, etc. It may be a while before it is ready for prime time.

Havoc315

Banned
The most exciting part is saying goodbye to long lines. A 50% increase in capacity should dramatically reduce the lines. Look at Dumbo when they added the second spinner.

But if they do shut down the whole ride for 6 months.... They will need to come up with some gimmick to swallow crowds. With DHS also having extensive closures, you will be looking at impossible lines at the remaining attractions. Test track will become as bad as Toy Story Mania and the Mine Coaster.

George

The most exciting part is saying goodbye to long lines. A 50% increase in capacity should dramatically reduce the lines. Look at Dumbo when they added the second spinner.
That's only valid if the same number of people are vying for more seats. Presumably, increased capacity will keep the seats filled, causing the same waits.