Southwest 75,000 point bonus - leverage towards companion pass

CJG17

As of today Southwest is offering 75,000 points for their personal credit cards. 2 years ago, someone on these boards taught me how to qualify for the companion pass by taking out two personal SW cards on the same day (and getting two bonuses, both of which applied to the companion pass). That was a wonderful perk that I had for >1.5 years, and now I'm looking to do it again, but it maybe is not possible? From what I am reading, you can't hold two SW personal cards at the same time. Was that the rule two years ago and we got around it by applying for both cards on the same day? Or is this a new rule (in the last 2 years)?

The blogs I just read seem to say that the only way to get the companion pass with bonuses is to take out a personal card, then 30 days later, take out a business card... but I don't think I will qualify for a business card. So if I can't reach the 125,000 points with bonuses from the 2 personal cards, then I won't get the companion pass (and I will still be a happy camper with my 75,000 points from one card!). But before I apply, I want to make sure I'm not missing out on the companion pass somehow.

If anyone has any tips, let me know. I haven't applied yet, and I am below the 5 card limit, and it's been > 2years since my last SW bonus.

Thanks!

hizouse

I think what you describe is basically correct; it used to be the case that you could earn mileage bonuses with any new SW credit card. Now it is limited to a total of one bonus from a personal card within, I think, that 2-year time frame you reference at the end of the post. I haven't combed through the fine print to find out exactly what the rules are; I'd bet that you wouldn't be eligible for another personal bonus if you cancel the first card after a few months, but that's the particular angle I'd look into - get a card in January, qualify for bonus, cancel, then get another card in July or so (you'd still get to the companion pass with a 40k or 45k bonus and the spend requirements).

I have the companion pass this year from combining a personal and business card last year. I don't have much of a business, but I do have a LLC with its own EIN.

75,000 for one card is a pretty good deal.

CJG17

Thanks, I am happy about the 75,000 bonus, whether or not I get the companion pass. But I loved the companion pass, so just trying to examine any options first.

I might see if I can qualify for a business card, but I don't have much of a business, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Micah008

This is a great bonus, thanks for posting. I have also gotten a business card, I applied as a 'sole propietorship' and got it.

CJG17

Thank you to everyone who posted above. I knew I asked in the right place! I am back with an update that I WAS approved for a business card! (sole proprietor with a new EIN, I applied 35 days after the personal card). So with the 75,000 from the personal card plus the 60,000 from the business card I will have enough for a new companion pass (assuming the points are combined in to one account as I hope they will be since my name is on both cards). The only reason I worry they might not is because I don't see the new business card automatically added to my chase.com online access (as I usually see with the personal cards). So I hope I get a chance to link it up so all the points dump into the same SW account (which I think they still should since I only have one SW rapid rewards number).

Anyway, I came back to say thank you for the tips. And I DID get approved for the business card!

Micah008

Great news!

The only thing that should matter for getting the points combined is that you used the same Rapid Rewards number (same Southwest account) and then the points will all end up in the same place. You may have to link the business card to your Chase account, I don't think they do it automatically, but I don't remember the details.

I ended up signing up for the 75,000 personal card too. Too many points to pass up. :)

hizouse

That is great news, CJG17! I think on chase.com I had to call customer service to get all my accounts linked up, but my situation was a bit more complicated because they already had my mortgage. And for whatever reason, they could get my personal accounts on to my (new) business login, but not vice versa.

CJG17

Beachta, that was me about two years ago. I only had one SW card and was going on about how I loved it, and someone on here posted about how that's great and all, but the best way to get perks from the SW card is to get 2 cards so you have enough points to qualify for the companion pass. So I did that and had it almost 2 full years. It just expired in Dec and now I was looking to do it again. I think you can't do it with 2 personal cards anymore (as I did 2 years ago) but thanks to the tips on here... I did do it by taking out 1 personal and 1 business card. The companion pass is amazing. My husband flys free for almost two full years, from now until the Dec 2021! It is good until the end of the year that you qualify and then the whole next year (all qualifying points must be earned in the same year).

beachta1

Beachta, that was me about two years ago. I only had one SW card and was going on about how I loved it, and someone on here posted about how that's great and all, but the best way to get perks from the SW card is to get 2 cards so you have enough points to qualify for the companion pass. So I did that and had it almost 2 full years. It just expired in Dec and now I was looking to do it again. I think you can't do it with 2 personal cards anymore (as I did 2 years ago) but thanks to the tips on here... I did do it by taking out 1 personal and 1 business card. The companion pass is amazing. My husband flys free for almost two full years, from now until the Dec 2021! It is good until the end of the year that you qualify and then the whole next year (all qualifying points must be earned in the same year).
Yes, I have the companion pass and am A-list preferred. I know they just raise the stakes on how many points you need to qualify for companion pass for next year. I had 50 SW flights the last two years, and earning those extra points on booking flights has helped me get there.