Southwest Travel Credits

Anne

Is there any work-around to their policy that only 3 forms of payment can be used (3 travel credits or 2 credits plus credit card per reservation)? I thought someone had posted they could if you called.

I spoke with the regular agent who transferred me to customer service who said there was no way to help. But she seemed relatively inexperienced so I wasn't sure if it was worth trying to call again when the dust settles. Frustrating because I tried to do my flight change on my own (because of understandably long hold times) but selected the wrong flight so rebooked and then ended up with multiple credits. It's irritating to potentially lose funds when all I was trying to do was change my flight due to WDW being closed for my travel dates. Normally we book with points but this was a work trip and I expected to be reimbursed so booked with cash. If I had been aware there were limitations I would have been more cautious.

Also, any thoughts on whether they might extend the expiration date for travel credits? I had to make my March reservation in September of last year so the credit is only good until September of this year. Of course this is all assuming the airlines can even stay in business to use the credits. Yikes!

A Tripper

I actually did this in 2016. In short, buy a temporary placeholder ticket to combine credits, then Change Flight.

Here's where I learned how to do it.

I haven't flown in a few years, so I don't know if it still works.

I wrote down exactly what I did! Here are the credits I had.

Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5
Credit C = $5
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

That's a total of $55.99 in credits that I wanted to use for a new $103.98 flight.

I found a cheap flight for $35.98 to use as a temporary placeholder ticket.

Here's how I paid $35.98 for the temporary ticket.
Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5
Credit C = $4.98, leaving 2 cents still available from Credit C

So now this is what I had.

Temporary ticket $35.98
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

Do not *cancel* the temporary ticket. Instead, I used Change Flight on the temporary ticket to change it to my desired flight. The change from $35.98 to $103.98 was $68. The limits on payment types only apply (applied?) to the amount of the change, $68.

I still have the email from Southwest! I used 3 credits and 1 credit card payment. I definitely worked then. Maybe the limit has changed? But the idea is still sound, right? Buy a temporary ticket to combine credits, then Change Flight. If the limits have changed, that just means more intermediate steps are required.

Here's how I bought the $103.98 ticket.

Discover = $47.99
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99
Ticket exchange = $35.98

I know. I have no life.

Always avoid getting 1-800 involved in your tickets, if possible. Once they've made any change, you won't be able to do anything online. You'll have to call 1-800 for any further change on that ticket. At least, that's how it used to be.

Will they extend your expiration date? Absolutely not. New money and new credits become contaminated when mixed with old credits. Everything takes on the worst expiration date.

Anne

I actually did this in 2016. In short, buy a temporary placeholder ticket to combine credits, then Change Flight.

Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5
Credit C = $5
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

That's a total of $55.99 in credits that I wanted to use for a new $103.98 flight.

Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5

Temporary ticket $35.98
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

Do not *cancel* the temporary ticket. Instead, I used Change Flight on the temporary ticket to change it to my desired flight. The change from $35.98 to $103.98 was $68. The limits on payment types only apply (applied?) to the amount of the change, $68.

I still have the email from Southwest! I used 3 credits and 1 credit card payment. I definitely worked then. Maybe the limit has changed? But the idea is still sound, right? Buy a temporary ticket to combine credits, then Change Flight. If the limits have changed, that just means more intermediate steps are required.

Discover = $47.99
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99
Ticket exchange = $35.98

I know. I have no life.

Always avoid getting 1-800 involved in your tickets, if possible. Once they've made any change, you won't be able to do anything online. You'll have to call 1-800 for any further change on that ticket. At least, that's how it used to be.

Will they extend your expiration date? Absolutely not. New money and new credits become contaminated when mixed with old credits. Everything takes on the worst expiration date.
Perfect! Thanks so much!!!!

Art Vandelay

that's a shame

Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5
Credit C = $5
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

Credit A = $26
Credit B = $5

Temporary ticket $35.98
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99

Discover = $47.99
Credit C = 2 cents
Credit D = $10
Credit E = $9.99
Ticket exchange = $35.98

I know. I have no life.

That's impressive. Nice work and great explanation.

beachta1

Totally first world problems, but all of my work trips for the spring have been canceled. I think I won't hit companion pass or A-list preferred again this year if I don't have as many flights. Blah. Thanks corona virus.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Totally first world problems, but all of my work trips for the spring have been canceled. I think I won't hit companion pass or A-list preferred again this year if I don't have as many flights. Blah. Thanks corona virus.
Marriott is extending status for another year, (it usually has to be earned each year), so maybe airlines will follow suit with similar extensions? Though I can't see extending Companion Pass for that long, but you never know.

beachta1

Marriott is extending status for another year, (it usually has to be earned each year), so maybe airlines will follow suit with similar extensions? Though I can't see extending Companion Pass for that long, but you never know.
I just got an email from Southwest saying they'll give extra points for booking and flying 3 round trip flights by the end of the month. I am thinking that is pretty insensitive given the current state of affairs. I'd love to be flying but I want to be safe / keep everyone else safe. Blah.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I just got an email from Southwest saying they'll give extra points for booking and flying 3 round trip flights by the end of the month. I am thinking that is pretty insensitive given the current state of affairs. I'd love to be flying but I want to be safe / keep everyone else safe. Blah.
How many extra? :RpS_flapper:

Anne

As of today they are still running twitter adds promoting flying and replying to inquiries that they are not alterning travel funds policy and non-refundable fares are still non-refundable.

The adds and points promotion seem pretty tone deaf. I get they are trying to salvage what they can and some people still have essential travel, but idk just seems off.

beachta1

As of today they are still running twitter adds promoting flying and replying to inquiries that they are not alterning travel funds policy and non-refundable fares are still non-refundable.

The adds and points promotion seem pretty tone deaf. I get they are trying to salvage what they can and some people still have essential travel, but idk just seems off.
I tweeted at them about it. Tone deaf is an understatement!