Target - Disney Gift Card question

Micah008

... If you do that you can use as many cards as you like BUT if you are just buying tickets or MNSSHP tickets over the internet or phone you can only use 2 giftcards per transaction. If you plan to wait and purchase them when you arrive you can use as many as you like. ...
I remembered reading this recently too, which concerned me. But, I also read somewhere that someone was allowed to do it by calling a different department to apply the gift cards. You know anything about this? Is there some way around this policy?

jandeeah

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla!
I remembered reading this recently too, which concerned me. But, I also read somewhere that someone was allowed to do it by calling a different department to apply the gift cards. You know anything about this? Is there some way around this policy?
Well, Jill and I tried every way we could to get around it and never found a way. I am not saying there is not one but we tried for about a week to find it and never did.

Micah008

Well, Jill and I tried every way we could to get around it and never found a way. I am not saying there is not one but we tried for about a week to find it and never did.
That's too bad.

I called DVC Member Services (since DVC members can buy tickets through them) but they said the same thing... 2 per transaction.

The only way she knew of to use more was to use Guest Relations at WDW to do it... but she didn't know of anything over the phone or online. I would be more than happy to enter them all online (like I have done in the past to pay for rooms) but I didn't get the idea that was possible either.

hljoyce

thanks all for the answers about the GCs. I'll probably stop by every other day to pay off our balance with GCs.

Micah008

I just made a few phone calls and was told the same thing very consistently. To buy tickets over the phone or online you are limited to only 2 gift cards, per transaction. The best they could do would be to split each ticket into a separate transaction (doesn't work for kids) and then you get 2 gift cards per ticket.

The only solution each one gave me was buying them at a ticket window (which has no limit), so this seems to be the only official way. I did find a few people online claiming they did it by calling a different department, or by calling back until they got a CM that could help... but what I keep being told is that the system doesn't even let them.

I would normally just plan to buy them on the first night/day of our trip, but with all of the FP+ stuff coming... it will be much better to have my tickets linked to my reservations ahead of time. This isn't possible if I don't have tickets until the first day of the trip. Hmm....

The good news is that I have until January to figure this out. :)

Mrs. Potts

I've been having my SIL who works at Target get my gift cards for me. She gets her employee discount and then the Redcard discount. I'm planning to pay for our upcoming trip with them. The savings will get us a day or 'free'. I already loved Target, but I love them even more now!

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
I used this method too and got a great amount of flack from the manager. She was really pissy while ringing them up like I was committing a crime or something. I plan to do them in smaller chunks from now on.

Cinderelly

Reporting back.... I waltzed up to the register with $1300 in gift cards. No issues with using my Rx rewards and no issues with the red debit card discount. But it came time to pay and it wouldn't authorize that amount. Was sent over to guest services where she wanted to try? Not sure why she thought the outcome would be different but she was nice enough. She advised me to call the number on the debit card while I was there where I was transferred to a "specialized team." She told me they couldn't authorize that much but couldn't give me an exact amount of what they could authorize. She was no help really. By this time the worker at Target had gotten a manager. She offered to manually discount it and I use my bank debit card. Makes no difference to me so I was agreeable. But here's where my experience got really good. 5% of $1300 would be ~$65. She gave me a discount of $100 for the hassle. :RpS_thumbsup: That more than makes up for not being able to pay for MNSSHP with GCs!!

I'm not sure why this pic is upside down.

Attachments

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Sounds like you got the Target "Vibe". That's what DH says they call the program for customer satisfaction (empowering employees to do things for customer satisfaction). Did you feel it? LOL.

Cinderelly

Sounds like you got the Target "Vibe". That's what DH says they call the program for customer satisfaction (empowering employees to do things for customer satisfaction). Did you feel it? LOL.
Yes! What was really awesome is that I didn't ask for it. I really didn't even realize it until after she did it.

splinteroh

Wow! So glad our grocery store sells $100 and $500 gift cards! I bought several thousand dollars worth over several months to pay for our family trip and stated on another that got cancelled (long story - not worth it). Anyway, got around 120 gallons of free gas thanks to "fuel perks", plus 2% Disney Visa rewards! Gotta love "gaming the system"! (and thanks to the cancelled trip, we are having one heck of a family vacation at WDW)

Tam

just here to register 'tam'
So we could use as many gift cards as necessary to pay for meals?

ahsteinert

I don't know if my bank is just really slow to process transactions, but I often go to Target with close to $0 in my bank account and the money isn't taken out until 3 days later. Is this the same with most people or down to my bank?! DH & I keep most of our money in our joint account, but I have my red card linked to my personal account (and I only transfer money to my personal account if and when I need to - except for the months when I'm working and getting paid by direct deposit anyway) So, if I go to Target on a Tuesday I just need to be sure to transfer the money before Friday... sometimes I wonder if/how the red card is tied to a bank account or if it is just processed as a payment. So far I've not had problems with limits and often go over what I have in my account, but I've not yet spent $1,000 which is my banks daily limit - I'll probably be picking up $1,500 in GC right before our trip so I will try to see if I can do it all at once.
This probably has to do more with your Target's processing of payments, meaning, when they submit for payment to your bank. If I go to Target on Friday night and use my Red Card, the payment comes out of my account on Monday night, so only 1 business day. I typically only spend money at Target with my Red Card a day before i get paid, at most.
Target saves a ton of money with those Red debit cards. They cut out Visa fees and bank processing fees. We have a local gas station that does this as well and you save about 10 cents a gallon when you use it. The only thing is that it since it doesn't show as "pending" online, people forget they spent that money and the accounts get overdrawn frequently with those cards.

Strangeite

We were not able to put them on our account at the beginning of the trip. We charged everything to our room along the way.

We were warned that if we reached $500 it would automatically go on the credit card, so we made sure to pay down the balance each time we got to about $300 or $400 just to be safe. They did say that even if it went to the credit card automatically they would be able to reverse the transaction, and then use the gift cards... but that would me more of a pain, and take longer.
I think it depends on the resort. I just back from a trip with a split stay between OKW and Beach Club. At both resorts, my limit was $1500 before they ran my card.

Rhonda

makes josh ride in the passenger seat
So we could use as many gift cards as necessary to pay for meals?
Yes, I got enough for meals and tips, upgrading days on DD's ticket, souvenirs, and paid off all 3 room balances already.

Because we have a 1 night, then a 2 night, then a week I wont do any room charges until our week stay.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Seems to me the rule of thumb is three cards (some have said two) for purchases, but unlimited when paying off package balances.

Does anyone know if Target gift cards are sold at other stores? My Chase Ink Business card is having a 7x miles promotion on gift card purchases at Office stores like Staples, Office Depot, etc. 7x miles has a better "value" for me than 5% cash savings. But if I can buy Target cards and then use them to buy Disney gift cards (getting Target Rx points), that'd be an even sweeter deal.

jandeeah

rescued daughter from turk - that crazy gorilla!
I think it depends on the resort. I just back from a trip with a split stay between OKW and Beach Club. At both resorts, my limit was $1500 before they ran my card.
It is
$500 value
$1000 moderate
$1500 deluxe
At least that is what it used to be.