Tech question

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Not sure if this is what you meant, but you need to configure them to access your network (select SSID and enter password), probably through a web interface to the setup/config screen?

3dadknight

My 22yo son just set up one for me. All he used was his phone. I believe the extender finds the main WiFi, his phone found the extender signal, he created a password for it then entered the main WiFi password for the extender to connect. He did it in a just a couple of minutes and has been a great addition with both of us working from home.

Strangeite

I know it wasn't your question, but wifi extenders are just bandaids. A better option is investing in a mesh network and an even better option is running networking cable from your modem to a couple of points in your house and installing an access point.

I was using a wifi extender at my office because I was being lazy. I finally got fed up with only getting about 8mb and ran a CAT-6 cable from the modem to the back part of the building and installed an access point. Now I am getting about 250mb.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Haha I was going to mention that too. We've had a mesh network for a few years, three access points throughout the house the size of a smoke detector. Really seamless.

Micah008

Staff member
We are running a mesh network here too and it works great with a lot better signal throughout the house. We have 3 access points spread out, and all wired "backbone" back to the modem. (There are some good ones out there that have dedicated wireless backbone too if that isn't an option for you)

hizouse

We have an eero mesh system with 3 access points, only 1 of which is hardwired. Took less than 5 minutes to set up using phone app, works great.

(I don't even know if "access point" is the correct terminology; we have 3 white things a little bigger than a hockey puck)

geek1997

Strangeite

You are not the only one. I bought an extender and it's not doing as well as I'd hoped so I'm going to try to buy a new router. I know a mesh is the ultimate solution but it is a rather large chunk of money.
If you can run cable, individual access points are much much cheaper than mesh and provide better results. It also is more future proof as new protocols come down the road.

I love the UniFi APs but there are cheaper ones too.

Edit: If you have attic access (or basement/crawl space) running cable isn’t that hard.

Micah008

Staff member
We also have a TP-Link Deco system. Not the exact same one, but also was not that expensive. It isn't perfect, but I have been happy with it for the price.

geek1997

If you can run cable, individual access points are much much cheaper than mesh and provide better results. It also is more future proof as new protocols come down the road.

I love the UniFi APs but there are cheaper ones too.

Edit: If you have attic access (or basement/crawl space) running cable isn’t that hard.
Hmmm. We have a 1-1/2 story house and the router is set up in one of the two places that doesn't have attic access above. That being said, the ISP is using one of the TPLink line extenders to access the fiber connection. I suppose I could move it. I *think* the internet used to originate from the panel in my daughter's closet but when they connected us to fiber, they put the ONT in our room so I'm not sure where I'd connect a line to. (I'm really good a regurgitating acronyms/initialisms without actually understanding them.)
I think I looked at that at one point, then kept reading too many articles, experienced information overload, and forgot about it. Or maybe I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to set it up with the ISP router in pass through. Or maybe I was hoping the less expensive extender would work and when it didn't I was focused on getting a new router and only recalled all the expensive mesh options. Thanks though, I'll look at it again.

Strangeite

but when they connected us to fiber, they put the ONT in our room so I'm not sure where I'd connect a line to. (I'm really good a regurgitating acronyms/initialisms without actually understanding them.)

Think of it like in the olden days. The ONT is your modem. Back in the days of dialup, we didn't have any fancy routers. You plugged your computer into the modem and you plugged your modem into the phone line. Of course back in the 90s, I had only one device that connected to the internet. Today, I have about 10 in the room I am typing this.

You could connect a computer directly into the ONT and it would connect to the internet. Your router just takes that connection and lets multiple devices use it at the same time. I think a lot of people mixed up routers and modems because ISPs started putting them in the same box in the late 2000s.

I don't know what your setup is, but think about your needs from that perspective. What you would like to do is run a cable from your modem (the ONT) to a location where the router can then split the signal to different locations easily, either wired or wirelessly.

Edit: My father was always frustrated with the internet coverage at his house until I thought to explain it this way. The modem is like his electrical meter. It is the single point where his house takes electricity off the grid. From there it goes to the breaker box, where it then sends the electricity in multiple directions via multiple circuits. The location of the breaker box is more important than the location of the meter. But of course the meter has to connect to the breaker box but only via one path.

I am not suggesting you don't already know this, but sometimes remembering the fundamentals provides solutions.

Last edited:

i<3riviera

do any of you have any experience with Unify? specifically I'm looking to pick-up a pair of wifi 6 AP lites and hard wire them in my house

all the cool kids these days seem to fawn over Unify; I really just need 2x access hard wired access points that are subtle enough my partner won't get mad at me throwing one up on the living room wall and another on a second floor ceiling (so none of the multi-antenna transformer type routers / APs); PoE is also important because I need to justify the fact that I just bought a Netgear PoE switch

the Unify APs are 100 USD each + shipping when I can grab two TP-Link WA801N on newegg for 35 USD total including tax and shipping; not exactly apples to apples but the TP-Link should get me what I need more-or-less; I'd say I'm not super psyched about buying another TP-Link product because my current one has always had issues; I'm leaning away from mesh options because I can easily hard wire both locations so don't know if I need the wifi backbone aspect and mesh seems to also mean pricey

I miss the good old days when you really just had to pick which Linksys model you were going to get and then re-flash it with DD-WRT, tomato, or OpenWrt; I mean my circa 2002 WRT-54G has been a beast no matter what I throw at it, including still faithfully serving on my network today!

I might be willing to pay the premium for a Unify device since I understand them to be this era's Linksys and they might last me for another ~20 years; but I'm not totally convinced so I might just go with the cheaper / semi-displosable TP-Link option; I hate the idea of trashing a device after only 8 years though like I'm having to do with my current TP-Link router 🌍

anyway, thought I'd ask because it sounds like many of you are happy with your setups and / or have helped out family members with their own networks