The Official "How to get to Point A from Point B" Thread!

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
The path between the two is not lit - so it's not feasible at night. No golf carts on the path, I don't believe - it's strictly for walking AFAIK. The only way there would be a bus between Ft. Wilderness and WL is if it is a shared bus going to a park. There may be such a bus that goes somewhere, but I don't know that myself. I would just take the boat between Ft. Wilderness and WL.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Dang! I didn't consider that the trail wouldn't be lit! I believe one can walk or ride a bike on the trail. No golf carts - like Vicki said.

The reason I'm so inquisitive about this is that we've got a golf cart rented for our entire stay at Ft.W, but I'm thinking we don't need it our first day. This is our second day. If we just drive to this meal we'll probably skip the golf cart until the next morning. I really don't want to rely on the internal transportation at the campground. If we bus, golf cart & walk, or boat to WCC, we'll want the golf cart to get us to the bus, the boat or the trail.

nicole

guess we'll go to disney world today
MK to GF for 5:00 ADR - catch the boat at 4:00?? returning to POR after dinner - monorail back to MK then hop on bus to POR?
POR to GF for 9:35am - is taxi the only reasonable way?
POR to CMC for 10:20am - bus to EP then walk IG? what time do I catch the bus?

I hear it's crazy trying to go between resorts? :RpS_unsure:

JW73

missing as of 06/03
MK to GF and then back to POR, I think you have the right plan.

POR to GF for 9:35 am I would take cab...that's early to be working the other transportation options.

For your POR to CMC, I would probably take the bus to DHS and then boat from there to BC. Bus stop and boat dock are fairly close at DHS. Walking all the way through EP and out the IG seems like more trouble, but maybe not? You'll need plenty of time though...I'd say bus stop at POR at 8:45 for 10:20 ADR?

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
I think just going to MK then monorail to GF for the 2nd one is a workable approach for a 9:35. There really should be no problem with that - it's not that early. And I would save my taxi money for the trip to Cape May, just because that's easier.

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
I think just going to MK then monorail to GF for the 2nd one is a workable approach for a 9:35. There really should be no problem with that - it's not that early. And I would save my taxi money for the trip to Cape May, just because that's easier.
I have to agree. CMC is such a hassle to get to without a car. Definitely cab it.

nicole

Wow! thanks, I would think with the CMC being a hour later we could get away with Disney transpo but if it's that much of a hassle we'll cab it. What time should I catch the bus to MK if I'm using mono to GF? What's the cost of a cab between resorts?

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
I think you could get on the bus by 8:30 and be fine, but I'm conservative and would probably leave earlier. I just work backwards - arrive 9:25 like they tell you, 15 minutes to monorail to GF, so that's 9:10, 15 minutes to ride bus to MK so that's 8:55, 20 minutes leeway for any missed bus, so that's 8:35. And just because I like a lot of fudge factor, I'd probably be at the bus stop at 8:15.

kayjaybe

Only itinerary to ever confuse josh into submissio
We're staying at the Poly. A few quick questions:
  1. How often does the monorail run past the hotel?
  2. How long will it take to get to the MK from the Poly (just monorail time, not time walking through Poly to get to the monorail)?
  3. How long will it take to get from MK back to the Poly? (I figure this could be different from #2.)
  4. We're going in late May. Is it possible the Monorail could ever be full and we'd have to wait for another?

Thanks!

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
We're staying at the Poly. A few quick questions:
  1. How often does the monorail run past the hotel?
  2. How long will it take to get to the MK from the Poly (just monorail time, not time walking through Poly to get to the monorail)?
  3. How long will it take to get from MK back to the Poly? (I figure this could be different from #2.)
  4. We're going in late May. Is it possible the Monorail could ever be full and we'd have to wait for another?
Thanks!
We just stayed at the Poly and while I don't have exact #s to give you, one thing to keep in mind is that you can walk from the Poly to the TTC. We were on the far side of Poly (furthest from TTC) and the walk was only about 10 minutes. If you're in a Poly building close to TTC, you're in business. The advantage is that you can get on the Express monorail. That eliminates the stop at the GF on the Poly-to-MK resort monorail route and stops at the CR and TTC on the MK-to-Poly resort monorail route. Plus, you can get to EPCOT without having to take the resort monorail all the way around to the TTC and switch monorails.

My best guess to your questions... #1 - depends on how many monorails are on the resort line that day and what "traffic" is like. We were delayed at least 5 to 10 minutes leaving Poly to MK due to issues with the train ahead of us at GF. #2 - without any issues, this should be less than 10 minutes, barring huge passenger exchanges at GF. #3 - this is probably more like 15 minutes considering the stops at CP and TTC. #4 - highly doubtful, unless you can't stand during the ride. Even with the crowds last week and a double-stroller, we never encountered a "too full" train.

kayjaybe

Only itinerary to ever confuse josh into submissio
Thanks, stevenmilz! Is that 10 min from Poly to MK using the TTC route or leaving directly from the Poly?

We can all stand & no strollers, so we should be golden. I had heard about going to the TTC to get to EP, but didn't know about the advantage when going to the MK, so that is good to keep in mind.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
It's probably 10 minutes either way, but TTC-to-MK, while a longer distance, doesn't stop anywhere so that eliminates a choke point. Poly-to-MK stops at GF which adds time one way or another.

amy

more Poly questions

More thanks to stevenmilz for those Poly answers---we're taking our first trip to WDW in early June and I'm at the stage where I'm trying to figure out the optimal modes of transportation for each leg. Any thoughts on Poly-to-AK or Poly-to-HS? We'll have our own car, and we'll be returning to the Poly for a break in the early afternoon each day. I'd read elsewhere that the AK tends not to open their parking lots until shortly before the park opens, making it a better bet to take a bus there if we wanted to make rope drop. Thoughts? And thanks again for all the great info!

jilly7896

If we have our own car with us, we tend to drive to the parks. We've never had an issue making AK RD when driving.

amy

If we have our own car with us, we tend to drive to the parks. We've never had an issue making AK RD when driving.
Is it better to take a car to MK and Epcot from the Poly/TTC? A friend told me not to bother with the car Poly-to-MK, something about it taking longer to drive over, park, and walk up to the entrance from the parking lot than it does to take the monorail TTC-to-MK (<ten minutes). No?

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Definitely take the monorail, or even the boat, Poly to MK. To drive, you'd be driving to TTC just to take the monorail (you could hop on the express from TTC, but I still don't think that would save you). For Epcot, you could walk over to TTC (depending on which building you're in) and monorail over to EPCOT. It's a nice ride. Driving to EPCOT would work as well.

jilly7896

Is it better to take a car to MK and Epcot from the Poly/TTC? A friend told me not to bother with the car Poly-to-MK, something about it taking longer to drive over, park, and walk up to the entrance from the parking lot than it does to take the monorail TTC-to-MK (<ten minutes). No?
Your friend is right. Even with a car, we take Disney transportation. It is much easier to take the bus/monorail to MK then to drive. Staying at Poly, I would take the monorail to MK and EP. I would probably drive to HS and AK though. Sorry for not specifying that!

MichaelColey

From any MK resort (Polynesian, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Towers, Wilderness Lodge), the Disney transportation to MK will be quite a bit faster and simpler than driving. Even for non-MK Disney resorts, Disney transportation may still be faster because it takes you DIRECTLY to MK. When you drive, the parking lot is at the Ticketing and Transportation Center, so you take a tram from the parking lot to the TTC, then the Monorail or Boat from the TTC to MK.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
Not sure about everyone else, but when staying at a MK resort, the monorail is part of the overall WDW experience. I think DS4, and now even DD2, would be just as happy riding around on the monorail for hours as they are in the parks.

nicole

I have an ADR at Sanaa at 12:50, we will be in AK that morning, how long should I expect the bus to take?