The "Real" Forums Coming in a Week or So...Ideas Appreciated

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still working out the particulars on how I want the forums to be set up. It would really be a "fool's game" to attempt to compete directly with the likes of the DISboards or WDWmagic etc. I want a more close knit, friendly, informative atmosphere without all the duplicate threads and antagonistic behavior. My intention is to do something like the following:

A section of general forums like you might see from DISboards

Itinerary Planning - People's specific plans can be discussed here in any amount of detail they want. If you want to plan a bathroom break at 10:41am - God bless you. If you'll decide whether or not you're going to Hollywood Studios based on the chance or precipitation then that's fine too.

Theme Park Touring - Tips on how to tour efficiently. Best spots for this and that. Touring plan discussion. etc. Attraction discussion. You know the drill.

Disney Dining and Restaurant Planning - The obligatory, "Is the Disney Dining Plan right for me?" threads. General talk about restaurants based on likes, dislikes.

Disney Resorts - Discuss favorites, pros and cons. Hopefully get some discussion on how to fit nine people into a Value resort room.

Deals and Savings - Discussions about deals and promotions that are currently running. Maybe a subforum for actual "stuff" from like Target, Amazon, Fandango, etc.

General Chat - For general chat

---------------------------------
I also think a "Rate and Review" section would be helpful, where each restaurant/resort will have its own thread. People can post their experiences and discuss each resort in a more specific matter. This should hopefully cut down on the "Tell me about......" threads and make it much easier to find information about specific restaurants and resorts. Depending on popularity, it may be necessary to at some point separate the reviews from the discussion. It will also be easy to cross post reviews and such from other forums if you're doing trip reports and whatnot. You can just copy/paste the post into the appropriate thread. I may start a "trip report" or "one big long thread just about your trip" forum too, where we can all say "Subscribing" and "That looks so good!!" 1,000 times.

------------

What do you think? Is there something you really hate about other forums or wish there was a forum that had something in particular? It's pretty easy to make new forums/subforums as need arises.

I don't really know how to coax a forum into success, but I will try. There are just so many out there already, it will be somewhat difficult to carve out the appropriate "niche." There will have to be a specific reason to come back to easywdw.com/forums. Hopefully there will be. And hey, Craig and I are here and nowhere else other than a couple of other forums!

Let me know what you think! I want what you want.

Scottmel

I like a transportation forum too...It is nice to keep track of any deals posted on flights as well as anyone having questions of how long it takes to get from Yacht Club to a waterpark, etc. Best way to get here, etc...

DisneyAddict

Founding Member #4
I would think it would be fun to have a question of the week/month thread, such as what is your favorite restaurant or attraction, etc to help start converation. I like the idea about having a thread for each particular restaurant or resort, as long as they stay on the topic of the place in question, and not off on to some wild tangent.

Incredible

Annoyed That Josh Emails Every Day Trying To Get I
Well... if the forum is anything like the website, then I can't wait!!!!! I love the idea of a rate and review section for restaurants.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
We can definitely do a transportation forum and some special "sticky thread of the week" in each forum would be helpful in moving the conversation along as well as give people ideas about what other topics they want to know more about. It's a tight rope to walk between keeping the conversation flowing, but also keeping it targeted and informative. DISboards is so popular in part because you can just make any thread you want and at least a dozen people will respond. Even if the exact same question is already asked three times on the same page. I don't mean to be ragging against them whatsoever, but it's not necessarily the most effective use of a forum in my opinion.

The rate and review section would also help in writing the reviews that go on the site. It's difficult to change my opinion based on one or two meals that I personally partake in because so much of the experience is based on the server and whoever happens to be preparing the food. It would be easier to see trends if there were a lot more reviews from users. Obviously, I can't eat at ABC Commissary every day to see if/when it gets better, but it would certainly be interesting to see the tide changing and be able to recommend restaurants/resorts that are turning it around before word gets out to the masses.

DWCricket

anything that isnt princesses
I think Rate and Review would be great, maybe divide it into subforums of:
Dining (could subdivide that to Counter Service and Table Service)
Rides and Attractions (subdivide into parks)
Entertainment/Tours (say Family Fun Tour, Pirates and Pals Cruise, etc)

Hmmm....let me think more. I'm on another non-Disney site and our forums evolved over a year to what they are now. Some, that never got traffic went away, others sub-divided.

Maybe Disney in the News? (Rumors, new events, etc?)

JiminyCricket

Jiminy Christmas!
I want a more close knit, friendly, informative atmosphere without all the duplicate threads and antagonistic behavior.
The best thing about the best sites out there is the tone. It evolves from the members, so starting out with a vibe of kindness is so important. I know it takes a village, and everyone wants to come to a site about their happy place that keeps them in a happy place!!

The other request, though not specific, is for you Josh to check in with the members even if it's just to say hello! I know as this site grows, that may be difficult, but just know that accurate, up-to-date information presented in a fun, warm way from you by name will be appreciated by many. Me, too!

Bribren

don't mind me, just blowing off steam
I like a clean forum, with very focused threads, so having dining broken down into TS CS and resort dining would appeal to me. I'd also like to see a gripe or blowing off steam area. No need to always love everything. I think the tone should be mature respectful and honest. Polite criticism is sometimes better than 12 replies that say wow what great ADR's you have.

jhalpin76

owes it all to duffy
I like the rate and review idea for the restaurants, tours, hotels, etc. Maybe have sub categories for TS vs. CS and Value vs. moderate vs. Delux vs. Villa and that will likely reduce 75 posts from what do you think about xxxx restuarant/resort - they can get all reviews on one thread dedicated to that restuarant or resort.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I am a cynical person by nature, so I have no issue with criticism.

That's the idea with the rate/review section also I think. I have plans to make like a "Table Service Dining Reviews and Discussion" forum and then a subforum for each Park and then maybe a subforum for each category of resort, depending on how that would look. Within each subforum would be a thread for each restaurant. The rest of that particular subforum would be "locked" to new threads and general discussion could be taken to the Dining forum. Perhaps the first post could be edited to quickly give the "gist" of what the reviews say. I don't necessarily want to post my own review at the top because I don't want people to feel like they can't disagree with me as though I'm always right about everything and my opinion is the only one that counts.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
In other words, it would be like

Main Forum: Table Service Reviews
Subforums:
-Animal Kingdom
-Epcot
-Hollywood Studios
-Magic Kingdom
-Deluxe Resorts
-Moderate Resorts

and then each subforum would have its respective restaurants listed as individual threads. If that makes sense. If it becomes too chatty then I could also make one thread for reviews and one thread for discussion.

DisneyAddict

Founding Member #4
In other words, it would be like

Main Forum: Table Service Reviews
Subforums:
-Animal Kingdom
-Epcot
-Hollywood Studios
-Magic Kingdom
-Deluxe Resorts
-Moderate Resorts

and then each subforum would have its respective restaurants listed as individual threads. If that makes sense. If it becomes too chatty then I could also make one thread for reviews and one thread for discussion.
I like that setup...clean and to the point, but don't forget DTD...perhaps for the resorts, add a subcategory for individual resorts, or at least put the resort name in the title of the restaurant. Also perhaps a note if it is a character restaurant and if it accepts the DDP.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to see how much space subforums take up and see what looks like it makes the most sense. We'll get it right sooner or later and I'll make sure it looks right to everyone before we leave "beta mode."

mousehelper

will grab your arm
Whatever forms you end up, I hope you have a strict code of conduct. Flames, profanity, rudeness and personal attacks will cause me to fall away pretty quickly if they are not immediately squelched. Intelligent debate? No problem. But, the rest? Life's too short.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Whatever forms you end up, I hope you have a strict code of conduct. Flames, profanity, rudeness and personal attacks will cause me to fall away pretty quickly if they are not immediately squelched. Intelligent debate? No problem. But, the rest? Life's too short.
Totally agree......a forum where we can disagree and have different opinions, etc is fine but one where people start attacking each other for those differences and so for is not okay. So keeping it on a friendly mode is probably the most important thing to me.

That said....."Freak outs" are always welcome!!! We want to have fun.....just not at anyone's expenses!!!!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'll keep a watchful eye over things and make sure we're all happy. Please let me know if you feel like something is going astray. I don't think this forum will "blow up" to anywhere near the popularity of some of the larger forums, which is just fine with me. It'll be easier to control and manage. I'm really excited to start sending infraction points to people too so my finger is already on that button as it is. It's going to be a hassle to start banning people if they go nuts or something though. At least I can point them in a couple directions where their flames will be welcomed with open arms.

carolinagirl

Currently Undercover
josh;178 I don't think this forum will "blow up" to anywhere near the popularity of some of the larger forums said:
:D From the looks of it I think you may get alot from the other forum.

Christy