The "Real" Forums Coming in a Week or So...Ideas Appreciated

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
Love bugs were annoying but certainly not bad enough to discourage me from going. September is such a great time to go and the crowds were so low... I am willing to deal with the bugs.

Tracey

One thing that would help new/occasional visitors requires some moderating: keep all conversations on a topic to a single thread. So all the questions about pool hopping/tipping/using the bus/wheelchair accommodations/etc - general info of use to anyone - would go in a specific thread. Those threads might get long, but all the info is there, not buried somewhere deep in the forum. Then you can also have an area for the 'specific to me' questions - where you can ask a more detailed question and get a response without cluttering up the rest of the forum. Threads in that subforum get archived after about 30 days of no posts, or promoted to the general thread if they turn out to be more broadly applicable. It's a different way of organizing than lots of forums use, but it lightens the load on the long-term members - easier to point to the useful thread than to re-post the explanation for the nty-nth time.

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
Love bugs were annoying but certainly not bad enough to discourage me from going. September is such a great time to go and the crowds were so low... I am willing to deal with the bugs.
I agree. The love bugs were not an issue in the parks.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
Len Testa muscle shirt? :RpS_love: Well that just reminds me that we're missing mk! I think she would marry Len if that pesky Randy & Dale weren't in her way! :RpS_laugh:

:RpS_lol: :RpS_lol: :RpS_lol: Definitely need some mk over here!

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Hello Tracey!:welcome:

I think I know what you are talking about. I've been to a forum and asked a specific question and I was directed to a 45 page thread. In those 45 pages I had to weed through "Oh, that's so cute" and "Here's my picture of the same thing" and "So and so, where did you find those Mickey ears in that picture?" and "bumpity, bump, bump, bump" and "Can anyone answer the question that someone back on page 16 asked because I don't have time to read through this thread to find the answers?" to find very useful information.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
He's no fun. :pout:
I think he's proven otherwise. It seems the problem is that he's not ready, which we can't really hold against him because he's got a lot of high-tech-mumbo-jumbo to finish first.

:typing: :lever: :RpS_sad: :ranger: :lever: :doh: :rant: :RpS_cursing: :smash: <------ does that look about right, Josh?

Last edited:

RoonieRoo

will take any rain...even if its men.
I have to admit, those empty forums are taunting me with their emptiness. I am happy to see forums dedicated to when you are going.:RpS_thumbsup:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I just need to write out the RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE WEBSITE

and figure out how to get an anti-spam plugin installed

josh

Administrator
Staff member
There's definitely a time for "official threads," but as Brandie points out you run the risk of starting a 4,000 page post that no one is going to read. And you get people saying, "Well, had you read the thread you would have seen on page 3,092 that..." I would be more inclined to include a "Quick Questions, Quick Answers" thread where people could post quick factual based questions and get quick factual based answers. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem until when/if the userbase expands.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I think he's proven otherwise. It seems the problem is that he's not ready, which we can't really hold against him because he's got a lot of high-tech-mumbo-jumbo to finish first.?
I guess my sense of humor (or lack thereof...?) didn't come thru on my post. :ohwell:

Luvamouse

Not yet aware she's on A&E's "Disney Intervention"
And is there any way to avoid the quoted pics on the photo threads?? Perhaps a way people must check a box to post the photo in the reply? I think we have all been tortured enough by 100 page threads where some cool picture of the sunset over ________ Resort gets 27 "I love it!" replies, yet 26 of the people don't know they can delete the photo in the reply?? May be asking too much. Nah...

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
There's definitely a time for "official threads," but as Brandie points out you run the risk of starting a 4,000 page post that no one is going to read. And you get people saying, "Well, had you read the thread you would have seen on page 3,092 that..." I would be more inclined to include a "Quick Questions, Quick Answers" thread where people could post quick factual based questions and get quick factual based answers. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem until when/if the userbase expands.
I'm wondering if the best way to handle that is to make a "most commonly asked questions" thread where the questions such as pool hopping, hopper passes vs extra days on tickets, etc can all be presented in one post. The questions simple and concise with simple to the point answers. They can be grouped into "categories" so you just scan down this one post for you category, look for your question and if that doesn't answer your question....then you can start a new thread to get your answer. New questions and answers can be added as needed. Any posts on this thread should only be a recommendation for a new question and answer to be added to the original post. This keeps all of the information in a simple format that pretty well anyone can scan easily to find their answer!!!

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I'm wondering if the best way to handle that is to make a "most commonly asked questions" thread where the questions such as pool hopping, hopper passes vs extra days on tickets, etc can all be presented in one post. The questions simple and concise with simple to the point answers. They can be grouped into "categories" so you just scan down this one post for you category, look for your question and if that doesn't answer your question....then you can start a new thread to get your answer. New questions and answers can be added as needed. Any posts on this thread should only be a recommendation for a new question and answer to be added to the original post. This keeps all of the information in a simple format that pretty well anyone can scan easily to find their answer!!!
Yes, and if the question is simple, then once it's answered there's no reason for 10 other people to post the same answer - or to add the comment, 'that's right, what X replied is correct'.

Ok, just my pet peeve. I'm done ranting now.:tape2:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
O
nly important people can use this one. It gives a little Shakespearean vibe I feel like. But to really be effective you have to type a lot so the words are on multiple lines like this, otherwise it will just look like you have one really big letter and a bunch of words that aren't wrapped around it.

TIME TO WRITE THE RULES AND REGULATIONS

blyday

Yes, and if the question is simple, then once it's answered there's no reason for 10 other people to post the same answer - or to add the comment, 'that's right, what X replied is correct'.

Ok, just my pet peeve. I'm done ranting now.:tape2:
LOL.....of course.....there is a purpose to those 10 people saying "what x said is correct". You will not believe the number of people who will respond with "Are you sure? What do others think?" after they have gotten that simple and correct answer!!!! They need the confirmation!!! For example....just recently on that other board I told someone about an attraction that doesn't open at park opening when responding to a touring plan and they started a whole new thread asking if I was correct and could someone confirm it!!!

Thadine

loves surprises, but not very good at them
I have been reading through everything and wanted to comment on a few posts, but now I don't know which posts anymore :frusty:

*Anyways concerning the V-bulletin. I like the separate Sticky and the normal thread.

*I wouldn't mind paying a fee to use easywdw

*One thing I always liked about TGM is that everyone was being respectful to each other. No swearing, name calling, attacking others. The moderators there were very good with taking care of their threads.
And you can not say this about some other boards.:argue:

I hope to find the same environment here, where people can talk and joke with each in a nice manner.

blyday

O
nly important people can use this one. It gives a little Shakespearean vibe I feel like. But to really be effective you have to type a lot so the words are on multiple lines like this, otherwise it will just look like you have one really big letter and a bunch of words that aren't wrapped around it.

TIME TO WRITE THE RULES AND REGULATIONS
Awesome!!!!! LOVE it!!!! And love the new Smilie!!! Now I can say "Thanks" without having to substitute the Canadian Flag!!!:RpS_thumbsup: