Tickets for an existing reservation.

Strangeite

We have a trip scheduled for October, but seeing as it is a DVC reservation, hadn't gotten around to purchasing tickets yet. Then Disney dropped the 20 megaton bomb that they are suspending all new resort reservations, no new ticket sales, cancelling all ADRs, etc.

Oh crap.

So I quickly bought tickets with a third party broker with expedited delivery. They will get here in two days. I opted for physical tickets because they can be returned if they don't work for some reason. I am seeing anecodtal evidence on Twitter and over at MouseOwners of others that were in the same boat but opted for email delivery. It appears that they have been able to link those tickets to their existing reservations without trouble.

I guess I am looking for validation that we did the right thing in buying the tickets quickly. I will update this thread after they arrive to let people know if I was able to link them to our reservation in MDX.

mgarbowski

I guess I am looking for validation that we did the right thing in buying the tickets quickly.
I'll validate. Disney suspended sales but did not say they suspended linking tickets to users. Like you I've seen people say they have been able to link tickets after the announcement. This should work. It might have been unnecessary, because Disney could resume normal ticket sales or park entry before your trip, but that's uncertain at best. Also, as I understand the announcement, you would probably have been allowed to buy tickets from Disney before your trip, though not until after those with tickets had first chance to make park entry reservations. This was the move to make if you plan to go this year or at least want to keep open the possibility and have the best chance at getting in the parks.

Strangeite

Also, as I understand the announcement, you would probably have been allowed to buy tickets from Disney before your trip, though not until after those with tickets had first chance to make park entry reservations.

Me, and my two lawyer uncles that are also Disney nuts, interpreted their statement similarly but slightly differently. How we read it is that there are different classifications. There are those with existing park entry, those with resort reservations, and those with resort reservations with existing park entry linked to reservations. Apparently (again not my area of expertise) the tickets that third party brokers have legally purchased can be resold with the same rights intact. And the theory is that linking them sooner, rather than later, would put us in the third category.

At this point, we don't really know, but I'd feel better having a resort reservation where I have a deeded interest linked to valid tickets. But, in the parlance of our time, we are living in unprecedented circumstances.

p.s. Sorry for the Lebowski reference but it seemed appropriate.

Edit: My wife and I are still not sure that making this trip is the right call, but my daughter has been counting the days down since they were well over 600. I couldn't, not, do my best to try and make it still happen. Besides, it won't be our first trip or our last, and it might make for interesting memories.

Last edited:

toodles

I had been planning to buy mine from 3rd party but have waited too late. Not sure but sometime in last 48 hours or at least since Friday they’ve now suspended sales as well. I’ve checked 2 of the 3 that I was considering buying from and both have blocked sales right now. We are supposed to go in October as well if we go. Any thoughts on if they will open ticket sales back up before then?

mgarbowski

I had been planning to buy mine from 3rd party but have waited too late. Not sure but sometime in last 48 hours or at least since Friday they’ve now suspended sales as well. I’ve checked 2 of the 3 that I was considering buying from and both have blocked sales right now. We are supposed to go in October as well if we go. Any thoughts on if they will open ticket sales back up before then?

It's pretty clearly stated that new sales resume after existing ticket and pass holders get to make reservations (though there is no timeline with dates):

New Ticket Sales: At this time, new ticket sales are temporarily paused. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold. Additional details will be shared with these Guests soon. New ticket sales will resume after that period of time.​

The one thing that is not clear to me is whether (1) all current ticket holders, regardless of the dates their ticket are for, will get to make reservations at the same time, then all dates for new purchases open up, or (2) will it occur in phases. For example, they could first allow existing holders to make reservations in July, then open July sales. Later they could do the same for August, September, etc. Or they might just allow all existing holders to make reservations for any dates consistent with their tickets, and open everything at once.

Either way, it appears that people without tickets will be behind those who already have them when it comes to making park reservations, but there should be an opportunity to buy tickets before your trip. I expect they also will limit ticket sales for all dates based on the reservations first made by existing holders. So though sales will open, they might be limited, with some dates much more restricted than others.

bnoble

he's right
I am guessing (guessing) that there will be reasonable opportunities to buy tickets and get reservations--maybe not always in your preferred park on your preferred day, but something, even if you don't currently have tickets. While capacity will be quite a bit lower, I also think that there will be a pretty sharp drop in demand. There are a lot of people who (a) don't want to put themselves in a situation that might well be more crowded than they are comfortable with, (b) have no interest in getting on an airplane or staying in a hotel room, and/or (c) have lost income such that a four- to five-figure vacation is just not in the cards.

We exist in a bit of a bubble here at Easy (and on DIS, etc.) because we are the people know know the sq. footage of Disney hotel rooms off the top of our heads. We aren't like most of the casual fans---and a good chunk of annual visitation is from those casual fans.

Heck, I'm a theme park fanatic, I already have bought a chain-wide pass for Cedar Fair theme/water parks good for 2020 and 2021, two of them are within day-trip distance, and I am not convinced I will visit even once in the next two years.

Strangeite

I bought mine Friday at 2:00 pm

Sounds like I got my order in just under the wire. Fed-Ex has them arriving today.

Strangeite

Our tickets arrived today and they linked with MDX without any issue.

FYI, my in-laws purchased theirs in person at AAA about a month ago. If someone is really wanting to get their tickets now, it might be worth checking your local AAA office.

Strangeite

And maybe jack up the price and sell them on Ebay. . . Side hustle idea:unsure: JK
I don't plan on doing it but was curious after I read your comment. I called my AAA office and they said that they still have tickets on hand. I then asked what the date of issuance was on the back.

So that means those tickets aren't date specific. hmmmmmmm I might need to pick some up to stick in the drawer.

bnoble

he's right
They aren't date-specific, but they might have an expiration date (in which case you can only apply their value to a new admission). From MouseSavers (emphasis added):
Older tickets that didn’t have an expiration date when purchased (issued on or before February 11, 2017) do not expire if unused, but do expire 14 days after first use or when all admissions have been used up.