Toiletry dispensers appearing at DVC

Strangeite

According to a report over at MouseOwners, the toiletry dispensers have replaced the tiny bottles at SSR. I'd wager the other DVC resorts will see the switch soon.

Strangeite

Other than the fact that I like the cute bottles, and that my daughter collects them (she's different), I can't really justify their existence. By most objective measures, the dispensers are better.

mgarbowski

I was always mildly — very very mildly — disappointed that the shampoo bottles in SVC rooms don’t have mouse ear caps. Never understood why they wouldn’t.
But this just makes sense.

3dadknight

Nothing says “Welcome Home!” like a soap dispenser that has a lock. :)

Other than being able to hold the bottles, is there really any difference between mounting dispensers and simply leaving a “family sized” bottle in the shower to be used by guest after guest until it is empty (or just refilling an unmounted bottle). My rational side tells me these are products for cleaning and washing ourselves, so all should be clean and germ free - after all, if someone is using it the are in fact getting clean. The world will be saved from hundreds of thousands of little plastic bottles annually in landfills. Disney will save millions of dollars long term and perhaps reduce my maintenance fees as a result.

My not so rational side just thinks, “Eeeewww, gross!”

Anyway, it will just be a small reminder, that despite all the marketing, deeds, comforts, washer/dryers, full kitchens, and closet space, we are all just staying in glorified hotel rooms. I’d rather the little bottles, but will be fine with the dispensers (until I pump and nothing comes out because they forgot to refill it).

bnoble

he's right
Other than being able to hold the bottles, is there really any difference between mounting dispensers and simply leaving a “family sized” bottle in the shower to be used by guest after guest until it is empty (or just refilling an unmounted bottle).

Yes. People would take the latter, and that's why we can't have nice things.

We just went to POP where they had the dispensers. They really aren't bad. I liked that you could pump out all your needed product instead of banging those little bottles onto your hand. They seemed clean and not at all germy. If I were more of a germaphobe I would worry about the hard flooring now that they just seem to sweep. I didn't see a mop being used, but maybe they use those between guests and not during your stay.

Anne

I'm in the eeewww category. Even though the bottles contain soap that is no guarantee of cleanliness. Plenty of viruses I don't want to contract can live on the surfaces, nooks, and crannies of bottles like that. I won't be using them so there's some cost savings for Disney right there...just doing my part to promote the magic!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Some of the hotels I stay in for business have switched to the communal bottles and they no longer provide bar soap, just body wash. I hate body wash and it doesn't really work well with a washcloth anyway so hopefully WDW will still provide bar soap.

BoSoxGal

Some of the hotels I stay in for business have switched to the communal bottles and they no longer provide bar soap, just body wash. I hate body wash and it doesn't really work well with a washcloth anyway so hopefully WDW will still provide bar soap.
So true about body wash. Anyone know if they’re still using soap or not with the dispensers?

D

Deleted member 519

I’m in the ew category. I’ll just pack my own stuff thanks

mgarbowski

When I wrote that this change made sense, I was under the impression that this was going to be for DVC only, but if it is at Pop and other regular hotels, I'm not in favor (although we rarely stay non-DVC so it personally matters not much). My thought was that it is a cost saving, and if the accounting is honest, DVC owners get the benefit in the annual dues. Plus, many DVC owners have Owners Lockers, and can easily supply their own shampoo etc. But doing this in the regular hotels just seems cheap.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
...thinking about adding a small bottle of shampoo to our grocery delivery order. If they do away with bar soap I'd add that, too.

We recently stayed at Coronado Springs and the shower had shampoo, conditioner and body wash in large bottles. The sink area had a bar of soap along with a smaller bottle of lotion.

BoSoxGal

We recently stayed at Coronado Springs and the shower had shampoo, conditioner and body wash in large bottles. The sink area had a bar of soap along with a smaller bottle of lotion.
I looked at a pic and they don’t seem terrible. It’s good they’re still giving lotion and bars of soap. That’s all we cared about anyway!

pixarprincess

I am torn. I am all for less plastic in landfills, and tiny hotel shampoo bottles are definitely wasteful... But I hate the dispensers too... I wish they could come up with some higher end solution that would be more environmentally friendly yet not feel so cheap/potentially gross as reusable bottles/dispensers. We recently went on an older RC ship and there was a dispenser and the thing looked like it had never been cleaned. :yuck: So they might be fine now, but my concern is down the road.