Too Mean For Mass Consumption?

Erika

Read some of the DIS stuff actually from a link on TP chats...they were very much supportive of you! And The TP guy was being quite rude...

What you do, and yes, iquiring minds want to know how you got so lucky to spend your time doing it....but Really what you do here is awesome...the pictures, real info and details...and yes! so funny!

I am not a computer person, i rarely spend time like I have lately...but i really enjoy reading this...and the forums are interesting and Kind! Not condescending and bitchy...I'll prob even keep checking after the trip which is somethingnI've never done!

I would tell you what i tell my older boys... That they are very Powerful and when someone tries to piss you off (to use my most eloquent word of the day) and you LET them..YOU are giving them the Power... And only because they are weaker than you are they trying to gain your power...ignore them, and even worse, be kind to them....and you Win...and you even end up taking away their Power...USE THE FORCE JOSH!

Oh my, maybe I've been around these boys too much!

PS i was in 9 grade, i think, and while I vividly remember the incident i did not know her name...

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Josh has actually been out for lunch with the TP guys, so I don't think getting his phone number is as much as a stealth operation as it might seem. LOL!

Anyway, Miss Pollyanna here - snark can be okay, I think it's funny at times, but I personally get worn down with the cynicism and like things a little lighter. But that's not Josh, and that's okay - I'm still here, right? But in terms of the competition, I still think you're much better to just leave it alone and prove your points by your excellent analysis and site.

And I don't know who this guy is - some kind of motivational speaker (and I can't help but see Chris Farley as motivational speaker Matt Foley), but I like this quote:
"Taking the high road is usually not the easy one to take or the most popular. The low road seems to offer instant satisfaction. It may seem better for the moment, but if you compromise your principles and your integrity, it will always end up costing you far more in the long run."
- Billy Cox

mickeychick

Josh,
I'm pretty new around here, but I hope you'll see my point anyway. Many moons ago i a saw lot of threads similar to what you've posted that were centered on "TP vs. TGM" In much the same way, Len had a habit of lambasting anyone who didn't revere his methods/site/product.
People are different and what works for or makes sense for one, may not necessarily gel for another.
My .02 would be to ignore the raving lunatic and do your thing the way you do your thing. He is trying to get you to react so that he can point to your incendiary comments and thereby discredit what you do.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Josh,
I'm pretty new around here, but I hope you'll see my point anyway. Many moons ago i a saw lot of threads similar to what you've posted that were centered on "TP vs. TGM" In much the same way, Len had a habit of lambasting anyone who didn't revere his methods/site/product.
People are different and what works for or makes sense for one, may not necessarily gel for another.
My .02 would be to ignore the raving lunatic and do your thing the way you do your thing. He is trying to get you to react so that he can point to your incendiary comments and thereby discredit what you do.
Just wanted to say "hi Lisa!" Long time no see (except on FB sometimes!)

Rowan

I agree with Amelia, I appreciate a little snark from time to time. But I also agree with the other posters that too much of it brings you down to their level.

That being said, I think a comparison can show people why your product is better. I remember a few months back you doing a an update, I dont recall the details on which park or what day, but basically you showed pictures of the TPs most recommended park and it was insane busy with crazy wait times. If memory servers me, you may have even jumped over to your most recommended park of the day for some comparitive picutures (Or it may have been the next day you you did that- regardless...). There was a comment from someone about not bashing TP then too. (probably from Len, lol) I personally appreciate seeing that. I only get to Disney about 10 days each year and I dont want to spend a single one of those days trying to figure out if easywdw or TGM, or TP or even my own theory is the better advice to follow. So if someone else is willing to show me pictures of the parks each player recommends a couple times and lets me make decisions based on that instead of just words, it helps a great deal. If the other players are upset by that then they obviously are not comfortable with the advice they gave.

Im sure he is in a bad mood because of the poll. Im sure he thinks any negative remarks must come from the competition. I too, think the best way to get under his skin is to show him he isnt
Keep doing what you are doing, keep being snarky as called for, keep showing real life comparisions so all the new comers understand that Disney isnt all about some mathmatical equations.
167055467398435918_jHLlX18u_c.jpg

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
All those posts under different names is a little freaky. Be careful out there, Josh!!

I do love the humor here and the snark is great, when it's all in good fun. When you were first mentioning TP it seems like you did it with a little more kindness than recently. I think you probably have enough zealous fans on the Dis who will say all the things you may like to say for you, leaving you free to take the high road. Not long ago you made a rule for the site that you'd like posters to not comment on the people in the backgrounds of the photos. When I read that I thought, "This is why I like this guy!" Maybe I'm in the minority, but as much as I like the snark, I like the fact that I believe you to be a stand up guy even more.

Also, I have no way to be sure but I think maybe Len was hoping to keep the call friendly and his emotions got in the way. I think he's probably VERY nervous about you and this site. I can have compassion for that. I don't read his site, and I bet he's losing fans in droves, but I can have compassion for that.

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
I also enjoyed that comparisson Rowan was talking about. It was presented differently than this one. That one seemed less emotional and didn't include the personal stuff. It seemed more fact based. I did enjoy this one as well but if you're going to put anything in the actual blog (I'm not a big fan of any of it in the blog) then I'd stick with the data comparissons and evaluations and leave out the stuff about comments in forums, phone calls, etc.

abfallas

I guess I may be in the minority but I too like the "playful jabs at the other guys." I personally think someone on the other site is being a little too sensitive about his product....maybe he fears competition.

As for Christa McCauliffe...I'm 29 and I didn't recognize the name at first either.

Keep up the great work Josh and don't worry about what others may think or say....just keep being you.

Betty Crocker

Josh, I'm sorry that you are bothered by it (In my mind, snarky Josh isn't bothered by anything!!) But as I said in another thread, I would take it as a compliment that he is that up in arms over you and your service. Like a PP said, prior to the demise of TGM, there were regular DIS threads about TGM vs TP. I never really followed those, but I am guessing he wasn't as threatened by those results since TGM was also a paid service. My guess is that poor Len sees the writing on the wall, based on that DIS poll, that his so called "scientific methods" aren't appealing to the masses who like the more common sense approach, backed up by a real live person walking through the parks a heck of a lot more often than he is... You are giving for free what others have previously paid for. And as I have said here, as well as the DIS, your recommendations have always been spot on, while TP definitely has had some "misses" in the past couple of years. I keep them solely for the line app, but if a free one is coming out that is just as reliable, then bye-bye TP subscription...

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
What about destroying them though? Does that do anything to them?
You've got a degree in History, right? Over the course of recorded history, has destroying a society actually ever worked well? I think there's a better chance the "destroyer" becomes assimilated or assassinated, from what I recall.

I LOVE your snark, which I agree has been a bit on the soft side lately. I think it's awesome that you've found a way to be funny and irreverent without sounding like you're whining about every Disney faux-pas or burned out bulb. Your love of Disney shows through everything, but you are far from a rabid fan-boi. A nice balance, and a hard one to achieve.

Sniping at "Brand B", to me, is a bit more Dis than Easy. And that's all I'm gonna say about that :RpS_glare:

M

Merida

This other guy seems very defensive and agitated that people are not preferring what he feels is a superior product. And how dare anyone disagree!! Now I'm wondering if this is his attempt to drive away the competition, by upsetting you and making you say, "okay, I quit." To kill a tree at it's roots so to speak, then everyone will have no choice but to flock back to his site.

As the saying goes, it's time to Keep Calm and Carry On :)

AmeliaPond

I guess I may be in the minority but I too like the "playful jabs at the other guys." I personally think someone on the other site is being a little too sensitive about his product....maybe he fears competition.

As for Christa McCauliffe...I'm 29 and I didn't recognize the name at first either.

Keep up the great work Josh and don't worry about what others may think or say....just keep being you.
Woohoo! I'm not alone in liking the playful jabs. (And...I sent you a follow request on Twitter.)

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
A few thoughts:
1. I was also in 8th grade for the Challenger, and when I read Josh's comment on the photo I simply assumed he didn't know who she was. I didn't once think that he knew and was mocking her anyway. Anyone who got too worked up over it needs to relax a little and remember how we're ooooooooold.

2. I think the strictly data-driven analysis is seriously flawed. Disney extends park closing by a couple of hours and the crowd number spikes from 3 to 7. For an input which may but may not be correlated to an anticipated increase in park guests to have such a significant impact on the final analysis doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For this reason, a more "anecdotal" analysis, such as provided by Josh, can be at the very least helpful as a complement to touringplans.com, or at best, superior. I'd pick the latter.

3. I've communicated with Len in the past about my point 2 and he seems to be very sensitive to this kind of criticism, to the point where it's clear to me that he is unable to see any view point other than his own.

4. I have been known to happily engage in internet brouhahas, hub-bubs and kerfuffles, but would avoid posting your response for most of the same reasons as everyone else. But mostly because of my point #3 above.

AmeliaPond

When we were at WDW in February, I followed TP on twitter. And at that time, they'd post their predicted/actual crowd levels each day. I remember sitting on the bus (park hopping) and seeing the tweets. They were so off, in my opinion. They'd say the park we were in the day before was really crowded, like a 7 or 8, but the wait times were tiny for us. To me, it felt like a 2 or a 3, tops. I just didn't get it. I stopped following them after that. Josh's predictions were way more accurate, in my opinion. I don't really want some weird predictions based on junk punched into a formula or whatever.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
You know......I think that you should take Len's call as a compliment and not an attack. After all.....if he didn't feel that you were good enough to be a threat......he wouldn't waste his time. So.....keep up the good work.....you obviously have the competition scared!!!!!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
You've got a degree in History, right? Over the course of recorded history, has destroying a society actually ever worked well? I think there's a better chance the "destroyer" becomes assimilated or assassinated, from what I recall.
Look where you live :RpS_laugh:

I'm a little disheartened my people can't appreciate a good attack ad.