Trader Sam's Grog Grotto!

andrewlb54

So as the opening gets closer who's excited? Anyone think it is over hyped and overrated? Anyone think they missed an opportunity to not use the old Tangaroa Terrace for the Trader Sam's location? Anyone like "who cares"?

Just thought it would be a fun topic!

revral

I'd say I'm in the "Who cares?" category. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear grog I think of alcohol so a Grog Grotto belonging to Trader Sam, Peter Pan or anyone else just doesn't seem appropriate in a park that was "dry" until BOG opened & even there alcohol is only available at dinner.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
It's at the Polynesian Resort, which has served alcohol since forever.

Poff

I'm excited! I've only been to Disneyland once for a short visit and didn't even know Trader Sam's existed there. I will be staying in a studio at the Polynesian in May and I think the whole resort reboot sounds like a lot of fun! Rumor has it, the new TS will only be open after 4:00...

andrewlb54

Yeah at the moment it sounds like it will be 4pm-midnight with it being 21 and up after 8pm. They'll probably open at noon after they get all the kinks worked out and have a better flow. I think a sight everyone will get used to seeing is a line through out the Lobby as locals(bloggers)/cast members will have the place full almost every night, a major downside to the limited capacity(50 or so inside, 80ish on the patio). Out in Cali we usually had to wait 15/20 minutes to get in when at the head of the line so I think if you show up after 6pm expect an hour wait at minimum until after summer. We hit TS in Cali 3 times during our week last November and every night it was the same 10/12 people at the bar sharing 2 drinks between all of them, hope that sort of behavior doesn't happen here but I know it will haha.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Sounds like it's going to be overrun by people who need to check this one off their WDW list. Many people, like Laura above, don't even know about Trader Sam's at DLH, and that's part of its appeal. It's a bar and bars encourage lingering. Sounds like there are going to be a lot of unhappy folk who either won't be able to get in or, once they do, get the bum's rush if management decides to impose a time limit.

Does Orange County law impose the 8PM rule? I sure hope so.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
If the pagers they hand out work up in Tambu I could forsee a long (expensive) night of pre-gaming at Tambu and hanging out on the Trader Sam's Patio until closing.

George

What they should do is move 'Ohana over to Tangaroa Terrace and make it more immersive dinner show experience. They could charge double and keep the place filled most nights. And they'd also keep most of the tight shorts and flip-flops out of the lobby.

andrewlb54

Haha that is a great point George. The Tangaroa Terrace is such a wasted space, with the redo of the resort I'm shocked they did nothing with that space.

George

Haha that is a great point George. The Tangaroa Terrace is such a wasted space, with the redo of the resort I'm shocked they did nothing with that space.
Well, the 'Ohana space is such a good spot for a Signature dining spot. It's previous incarnation, Papeete Bay Veranda, featured (QFM) "Fine Polynesian Dining," which was as boring as it sounds, but they were on to something there.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is Disney Parks Blog will have a nice tour/completely ruin it/have better quality pictures and videos than anybody else could hope for before the place actually opens, not unlike Enchanted Tales, Mine Train, etc. I have actually already been inside. It seems like it's going to be an extreme hassle to get in (max occupancy is 51) but it's a 10/10 otherwise. The effects are some of the neatest I've seen.