Trader Sam's Timing

BSS

In all of our trips, we have never gone to Trader Sam's. We plan to visit in February and all 5 of us are over 21 and the 20-somethings want to try it. The plan is to have dinner at Citrico's and then head to TS via monorail for an after dinner tiki drink. They are open until midnight most nights, but I have read that there is usuall a line (virtual?). If we arrive around 9 on a Wednesday, do you think we will be able to get in with a reasonable wait? They are usually open until midnight.

On a related note, an uber/lyft will be our best option to get back to Wilderness Lodge when we are done at Sam's, right? We'd be happy to do monorail or boat to Contemporary and boat to WL even though that is longer (the youngers don't care, it's all an adventure to them!), but I assume the boat from Contemporary to WL probably doesn't run that late.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
define "reasonable"
worst case, you can get a drink up at tambu or out on the patio while you're waiting

Reactions: BSS

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Sam's is fun to go once or twice for the spectacle. But the outdoor patio is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable (in good weather at least).
I'm getting older and grouchier so I'm more and more annoyed at the environment at Sam's and Oga's. It's like they're doing you a favor by allowing you to cram into a booth with strangers to buy ridiculously overpriced drinks and gtfo asap so they can turn the table.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Sam's is fun to go once or twice for the spectacle. But the outdoor patio is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable (in good weather at least).

The patio is loud. Thumping club music. Flashing lights. Like I imagine South Beach on a Saturday after midnight.

Don't go. Stay away. Please. For your peace of mind. Avoid the patio.

Anne

The patio is loud. Thumping club music. Flashing lights. Like I imagine South Beach on a Saturday after midnight.

Don't go. Stay away. Please. For your peace of mind. Avoid the patio.

At the Polynesian???? Has this changed? The last time I was there the Tiki Terrace had a Hawaiian singer who played the ukulele with a calm fountain bubbling in the background. No lights of any kind.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
At the Polynesian???? Has this changed? The last time I was there the Tiki Terrace had a Hawaiian singer who played the ukulele with a calm fountain bubbling in the background. No lights of any kind.

Shh!! Don't tell.

If anyone asks, it's really loud, crowded and waits for tables are 4-6 hours.

BSS

Maybe I can convince them to do the patio. If not, anyone have an idea of what an "average" (whatever that means at this point) wait to get in might be at 9 or after on a Wednesday? If it's likely to be 30-ish min, we can grab a drink elsewhere while we wait. If it's likely to be longer than that, there is a good chance I can convince them to scrap it and grab an after dinner drink elsewhere. They just want to check it out and get $30 souvenir cups :rolleyes:. I don't imagine they will want to wait too long for that privilege.

Anne

Maybe I can convince them to do the patio. If not, anyone have an idea of what an "average" (whatever that means at this point) wait to get in might be at 9 or after on a Wednesday? If it's likely to be 30-ish min, we can grab a drink elsewhere while we wait. If it's likely to be longer than that, there is a good chance I can convince them to scrap it and grab an after dinner drink elsewhere. They just want to check it out and get $30 souvenir cups :rolleyes:. I don't imagine they will want to wait too long for that privilege.

I think it depends a lot on the time of year. 10:30 pm off season there was no wait. Race weekend was the worst I've seen, 1-2 hrs. Mid week late is probably the best you are going to get for wait times. I think a lot of people get on the wait list and have a drink/snack on the terrace until they get called and if it gets too long bail.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
It clears out considerably after the fireworks. In my experience, it's pretty dead after 10 unless you have bad(?) luck and there is a large group. If the timing works, I'd probably watch the fireworks from the beach and head over after, or watch/listen from the patio, which is actually nice and relaxing when the weather is pleasant. Actually one of my favorite places on property and the Dark and Stormy has gotten more expensive, but is still a good value if you don't care that it comes in a glass instead of some ceramic nonsense that's "worth" its weight in gold.

pixarprincess

It clears out considerably after the fireworks. In my experience, it's pretty dead after 10 unless you have bad(?) luck and there is a large group. If the timing works, I'd probably watch the fireworks from the beach and head over after, or watch/listen from the patio, which is actually nice and relaxing when the weather is pleasant. Actually one of my favorite places on property and the Dark and Stormy has gotten more expensive, but is still a good value if you don't care that it comes in a glass instead of some ceramic nonsense that's "worth" its weight in gold.
The patio and the dark and stormy are amazing! It is actually one of the drinks that does not carry over to the DL sams (in full disclosure havent been since they reopened). But it is my favorite and I really wish they would bring it here.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame

If you haven't had to wash out and pack a white plastic pearl cup, have you really been on a WDW vacation?

ThemeParkCommando

I'm looking forward to trying TS after our AK day. Hubby and I want that Nautilus cup for our souvenir. I'm hoping it wont be too bad on a Tuesday around 7:30pm, but we are willing to wait.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I did that once, but they threw it back.
Fill it with rocks next time. As long as you say, "Here comes the "Mauka!" it's fine. Also be ready to holo.

(Mauka means mountain and holo means run according to Google)

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Fill it with rocks next time. As long as you say, "Here comes the "Mauka!" it's fine. Also be ready to holo.

(Mauka means mountain and holo means run according to Google)

Thanks for the pro tip. I like it!

Mauka, towards the mountains; makai, towards the sea. They give directions in Hawaii using those directionals.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
You'll probably be directing them to the nearest Urgent Care. Not sure how to say that in Hawaiian.

BSS

Thanks, Josh. I hadn't even thought about the fireworks piece. I like the idea of watching from the beach and then heading over.

Also, good to know the proper Hawaiian terms for when these boys are throwing their new souvenir cups at each other in the villa.