Uber vs Lyft

nats80

We're from the UK and don't have Lyft here. How do the 2 services/prices/reliability, etc compare?

I have never used Uber in the UK but did use them a few times when we were last at WDW.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Almost identical. At WDW, the Lyft app is how you access Minnie Vans, in case you're interested in using them.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
Locally, I find them indistinguishable to the point that many of the cars have both Lyft and Uber emblems on them.
The only difference I have found is price. Some times it is negligible, other times $10 or more difference. I don’t know why this is.
I will usually open both apps and compare prices to make my decision.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Same here.

We've been fortunate to get random discounts, like 50% off your next ten trips, that coincide with our WDW trips.

Lyft/Uber is the way to go from resort to resort. Using WDW transportation resort to resort is a hassle, well worth avoiding by paying $8-$10 for Lyft/Uber.

nats80

Almost identical. At WDW, the Lyft app is how you access Minnie Vans, in case you're interested in using them.
Locally, I find them indistinguishable to the point that many of the cars have both Lyft and Uber emblems on them.
The only difference I have found is price. Some times it is negligible, other times $10 or more difference. I don’t know why this is.
Same here.

We've been fortunate to get random discounts, like 50% off your next ten trips, that coincide with our WDW trips.

Lyft/Uber is the way to go from resort to resort. Using WDW transportation resort to resort is a hassle, well worth avoiding by paying $8-$10 for Lyft/Uber.
Thank you all. I will download the Lyft app too and compare prices at the time :)

bnoble

he's right
I don't patronize Uber if I can help it, for a variety of reasons. They are both rent-seeking so neither is great, but Uber is more rapacious about it.

mgarbowski

I don't patronize Uber if I can help it, for a variety of reasons. They are both rent-seeking so neither is great, but Uber is more rapacious about it.
As a New Yorker and frequent visitor to Orlando, I find the idea that Uber and Lyft should particularly be called out for rent seeking bizarre, when compared to the previous ossified status quo of the NYC taxi medallion cartel and Mears in Orlando. I'm not saying Uber and lyft are paragons of virtue, but the industry they entered was among the most cozy and corrupt in existence, and their presence has forced exceedingly grudging improvements both to the regulatory model and the service provided by the somewhat displaced operators.

bnoble

he's right
I don't need anyone to agree with me. Just offering a response to the OP.

But, from my perspective, Uber is flat out evil. Lyft is exploitative (as are the NYC cartels and Mears) but at least wear a fig leaf of respectability in comparison. I didn't say I don't use any of them. I said I don't use Uber when I can avoid it. Everyone draws a line somewhere. But Uber's latest claim that drivers are not core to their business, and therefore they don't need to treat drivers in California as employees, is beyond the pale.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/business/economy/uber-california-bill.html

Speaking of NYC, the Medallions-as-predatory-lending scheme was particularly interesting:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/reader-center/taxi-medallion-investigation.html

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Pro-tip: If you use the Google Maps app, you can enter starting and finishing points as if you're going to drive, then tap the "taxi" icon to get instant and current Lyft and Uber quotes, complete with a link to the appropriate app.

nats80

Pro-tip: If you use the Google Maps app, you can enter starting and finishing points as if you're going to drive, then tap the "taxi" icon to get instant and current Lyft and Uber quotes, complete with a link to the appropriate app.
Thank you - I'll have to try that :)

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Thank you - I'll have to try that :)
Of course, this works for walking and public transportation directions too.

mgarbowski

Many Uber and Lyft drivers don't like the California law. Calling opposition to that law evil seems a stretch.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-22/skelton-ab5-employment-law-independent-contractors-gig-economy

I really don't want to have this conversation here. But the injection of social and political commentary always seems to come from one side on this forum and it is tiresome. Would rather just not see it. Also, treating employees poorly is not rent seeking. It is a wrong, but different in kind.

Done and out on this topic.