Upgrading to AP before the trip

Mego713

I have a 7 day park hopper purchased from UT with a start date of 3/26. I’m planning to upgrade that ticket to an AP for our upcoming visit. Is that possible to do on the app or over the phone in order to get the MB shipped to me before the trip? Or do I have to go to guest services in person?

We are arriving on 3/27 and our first park day is 3/28 so I can go to Disney Springs if I need to. We will rope drop HS on our first park day and definitely want everything taken care of before that morning. Once I get the AP upgrade, will the start day be considered the first day of our tickets (3/26) or the first day we scan in and use them (3/28)?
Thanks!

Anne

Usually you can only upgrade by app or phone with a ticket purchased direct through Disney. But you can always try, worst case they say no. Even then they don't mail you a magic band until you've activated and used your AP on site. So upgrading prior to arrival doesn't fix that issue. In fact having a regular ticket is kind of an advantage. Because you won't have to activate it at guest services or a ticket booth prior to entry. You can show up at HS, do RD and go to guest services to upgrade whenever it's convenient. That is the strategy I would use.

The AP expiration date is based on the day you activate or the first day you use a ticket (for tickets used before they are upgraded). So if you activate at DS on 3/27, that will be your expiration. If you activate at HS on 3/28 that will be the date. It would only be 3/26 if you used the ticket on 3/26.

Mego713

Ok thanks. I remember something awhile back about using the ticket first to lock in the price or something like that. Maybe that’s what we will do. We will have to pay for parking on the first day (we stay offsite), so I’m assuming once I upgrade to an AP sometime later while at the park, then they will credit us the price of parking for that day. I thought it might be easier to get the ticket upgraded before our first Park day but it sounds like maybe not. Thanks so much!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
After you upgrade and activate your AP, you can visit the ticket center at MK, which is next to Hall of Presidents, to get your MB. AFAIK this is the only location on property where you can do this.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I believe using the ticket first used to be a requirement for bridging the discounted ticket to the full value before upgrading, thereby getting the discount applied to the AP. Not sure if they still do this or not. There were many reports of CMs not doing it properly even when they did it and having to place close attention or even going to one or more Guest relations to get it done properly.

I don't think it would make a difference if you are not trying to bridge and would be separate from your MB question.

Mego713

I think technically I do want to bridge the ticket though. I want credit for the Disney price of a 7 day hopper. Not the UT price of the 7 day hopper. Do I definitely need to use my ticket once to ensure this?

Anne

I think technically I do want to bridge the ticket though. I want credit for the Disney price of a 7 day hopper. Not the UT price of the 7 day hopper. Do I definitely need to use my ticket once to ensure this?

Apparently using the ticket first was never a requirement for price bridging. It was repeated as true on multiple fan sites but was never actually policy? At least that's what I've read on the internet so it must be true ;-)

I have no personal experience or knowledge, but several people here that I trust have said using the ticket first is not required. However in your scenario, you are better off waiting to upgrade after first use anyway if you want to RD HS I wouldn't want to mess with upgrading or activating an AP prior to entering the park.

The bigger issue, as tiggr88 mentioned, is it is getting harder to find CMs who will bridge properly. I'm still bitter about adding a hopper outside Epcot to my mom's ticket and not getting g credit for gate price. The really irritating thing is she didn't even get credit for what she paid to UCT. They only gave her credit for the amount UCT paid to Disney for the ticket. She didn't have a choice, she had an upcoming dinner ADR so paid what amounted to twice the cost of the hopper add-on at the time. The CM and a manager both claimed there was no such thing as price bridging (this was several years sgo when it absolutely was still done).

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I bridged a 10-day PH to a DVC Gold AP just a couple weeks ago, at GR at DS, and she did it correctly. I hadn't used the UT ticket yet. Maybe I got lucky with Cast Member Roulette?

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I bridged a 10-day PH to a DVC Gold AP just a couple weeks ago, at GR at DS, and she did it correctly. I hadn't used the UT ticket yet. Maybe I got lucky with Cast Member Roulette?

The last time I did this was at the Epcot IG GR. I'd done the math so I knew the value of my UCT PH. The dollar amount the GR CM told me wasn't correct, but it was close enough and I really wanted lunch so I just let it go and did the upgrade.