USB Ports in Resort Rooms

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I suppose we should be grateful that the resorts are including USB ports in the guest rooms, but my new iPhone has a USB-C connection, and room ports are USB-B. What’s a guy to do? Bring adapter plugs? To complicate matters, my new MacBook has different ports (Thunderbolt?) altogether.

I always considered myself techie enough to get through life. After all, I was the only kid in 2nd grade who knew how to thread, focus, and frame the filmstrip projector.

Micah008

Staff member
My last 2 phones have been USB-C. A standard USB-C cord should work just fine for you. It doesn't matter if micro-USB or USB-C, they both should have the same USB-A on the other end for plugging into the port in the resort room. (ETA: Yes, there are cables with USB-C on both ends too)

1634567644281.png

Note that USB-B is a device port (typically a printer, or USB hub).

1634567676970.png

I will stay out of the Apple conversation. :D

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
I suppose we should be grateful that the resorts are including USB ports in the guest rooms, but my new iPhone has a USB-C connection, and room ports are USB-B. What’s a guy to do? Bring adapter plugs? To complicate matters, my new MacBook has different ports (Thunderbolt?) altogether.

I always considered myself techie enough to get through life. After all, I was the only kid in 2nd grade who knew how to thread, focus, and frame the filmstrip projector.
This has frustrated me to no end. We are “Apple People” and have taken advantage of and enjoyed the convenience of all our devices using the same plug. We have multiple USB ports and plugs strewn throughout our house. My daughter and I bought new IPad Air tablets without realizing they had the USB-C plugs. Pain in the ***. Next to our sofa we have a lamp plugged in and have had an Apple cord plugged as well. Very convenient! Now we have to unplug something whenever we have to switch between phones and tablets. Of course I could put a power strip or splitter on the outlet, but that is besides the point. We bought into Apple for the simplicity of it.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
We bought into Apple for the simplicity of it.
Just wait until this afternoon when Apple announces yet another different power cord for the upcoming MacBook Pros.

We have gotten used to traveling with a power strip and all manner of USB-C adapters (20W for phones, portable batteries, and watches; 60W for MacBooks).

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
This has frustrated me to no end. We are “Apple People” and have taken advantage of and enjoyed the convenience of all our devices using the same plug. We have multiple USB ports and plugs strewn throughout our house. My daughter and I bought new IPad Air tablets without realizing they had the USB-C plugs. Pain in the ***. Next to our sofa we have a lamp plugged in and have had an Apple cord plugged as well. Very convenient! Now we have to unplug something whenever we have to switch between phones and tablets. Of course I could put a power strip or splitter on the outlet, but that is besides the point. We bought into Apple for the simplicity of it.
Since last October, I’ve upgraded all my Apple devices. IPhone 12 last October. New iPad Pro July, 2021; new Mac Book Pro August, 2021. Three different cords/plugs needed now.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Since last October, I’ve upgraded all my Apple devices. IPhone 12 last October. New iPad Pro July, 2021; new Mac Book Pro August, 2021. Three different cords/plugs needed now.
Pretty sure you can use the same 60W USB-C charger that came with your MacBook Pro (or which you can buy from a third-party manufacturer for about $20-$30) for all three. You can use the same USB-C to USB-C cord for your MBP and iPad Pro, and you'll need a USB-C to Lightning cord for your iPhone 12.

So one charger (or multiple of the same charger), two cords (or multiple of the same cord).

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I don't know if the new ones are any better, but the USB ports in the rooms used to take forever to charge. I always took the adapter to plug into the wall in case I wanted it to charge faster.

G00fydad

I would just bring an adapter. It would be a faster charge and you will not have to worry about your iPhone cord not plugging into a standard USB-B wall plug.