Very Merriest After Hours Pricing

Anne

Have I been living under a rock? I knew people were upset about the ticket prices, but the week before Christmas the tickets are $249 per person and no AP discount????? I mean I like a good Christmas parade as much as the next person and I've been known to engage in gratuitous money burning activities because it's Disney but this gives even someone like me pause. Have the prices been this high all along or are they doing a dynamic pricing model and raising them as they become more scarce? The price, plus the option for short lines at Deluxe extra pm hours for free, plus kids being unlikely to stay up until 1 am, this is going to have to be a pass. I just wanted a little Christmas party cheer, but not $1000+ of cheer. I wish we could pay a prorated rate for just one hour lol.

BoSoxGal

Have I been living under a rock? I knew people were upset about the ticket prices, but the week before Christmas the tickets are $249 per person and no AP discount????? I mean I like a good Christmas parade as much as the next person and I've been known to engage in gratuitous money burning activities because it's Disney but this gives even someone like me pause. Have the prices been this high all along or are they doing a dynamic pricing model and raising them as they become more scarce? The price, plus the option for short lines at Deluxe extra pm hours for free, plus kids being unlikely to stay up until 1 am, this is going to have to be a pass. I just wanted a little Christmas party cheer, but not $1000+ of cheer. I wish we could pay a prorated rate for just one hour lol.
I knew it was high, but wow. It’s a hard pass for us too since our kids are definitely too young to hang. We even opted not to do the boo bash next weekend for the two of us. It just doesn’t seem worth it.

ETA: we’ve also been fortunate to have done the previous versions of both parities, so it’s not a must do on our list. We’ll probably do something when the kids are older and will actually remember it!

crumjack

I have Boo Bash tickets for Halloween night and thought paying $200 each was crazy.

This Halloween is also my daughter’s 16th bday so that was my rationale for dropping the cash but geez…

RetroCOTfan

We did Boo Bash a week ago and paid $169/person. We had fun, but the cost for that was too high. If the party had lasted another hour, I think the value would have been there, but for just 3 "exclusive" hours we wouldn't do it again. So we certainly wouldn't pay even more for the Christmas After Hours party.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I have Boo Bash tickets for Halloween night and thought paying $200 each was crazy.

This Halloween is also my daughter’s 16th bday so that was my rationale for dropping the cash but geez…

4ouG6vpl.jpg

khurston

How can I be a new member if I joined in 2012? ;-P
I have much shame. We're going the week before christmas, rescheduled from the second week of March, 2020. That trip was supposed to be 8 nights, and we'd been looking forward to it for a couple years. Our last trip was 2014, and our daughter (17 yrs old now) doesn't remember much. We'd planned a ton of stuff for the 2020 trip, but college searching is sucking up much of next year's vacation time, and this trip is 'only' 4 full days plus maybe half a day on departure day. All of this to say - I got suckered into ponying up $750 for the last party of the year.
We're kind of the target audience for this foolishness - a pretty tight trip, no little kids, and while we're not swimming in cash, it's not going to break the bank.
Unfortunately, now my husband keeps saying 'in for a penny, in for a pound,' and is working hard to convince me that we should pony up for the genie+ for all parks and a la carte lightning lanes for all eligible rides.

George

Why not? Money is for spending, after all.
For me, money is for (early) retirement. We’ve been in saving-saving-saving mode for the last 10-15 years. Every dollar spent is more time working.

Thatcher: You always used money -
Kane: To buy things.
- Citizen Kane

George

As someone who has more than his fair share of city miles, I suspect there is no time like the present in my case.
And if, by chance, you live longer? I suppose our concern is a comfortable retirement filled with things we like to do without worrying about spending. $200 per person for a five hour theme park visit (a park we’ve seen for 10 hours during the day already) makes me think of all the compounding interest we’ll have on that once we retire.

I’ve always said we’d take the money we have in the bank, divide by the number of years we think we have left, add a bit just in case we live longer, then spend-spend-spend until we’re as close to 0 as possible when our Time comes. We want the tears at our funerals to be real.

bnoble

he's right
Maybe it's just because I am paying myself first---all my savings for retirement, the kids' college, etc. (which has been aggressive) was taken out of my check before I even saw it. I do the same thing with my consulting income: I set aside the estimated taxes, and split the remainder betwee a long-term account, and the "spend for fun" account.

But, once something hits that spend-for-fun account, it is fair game for anything and I don't feel bad about one dime.

And, to be fair, I would not pay $250 for the equivalent of EEMH, because it's not high on my priority list. But, there are other things that are equally frivolous that I have done---for example, $200 for the two of us to spend slightly less than one minute on the Salt Lake Olympic bobsled track.

George

Maybe it's just because I am paying myself first---all my savings for retirement, the kids' college, etc. (which has been aggressive) was taken out of my check before I even saw it. I do the same thing with my consulting income: I set aside the estimated taxes, and split the remainder betwee a long-term account, and the "spend for fun" account.

But, once something hits that spend-for-fun account, it is fair game for anything and I don't feel bad about one dime.

And, to be fair, I would not pay $250 for the equivalent of EEMH, because it's not high on my priority list. But, there are other things that are equally frivolous that I have done---for example, $200 for the two of us to spend slightly less than one minute on the Salt Lake Olympic bobsled track.
Oh, we’ve had our “paying ourselves” deductions in place for years. We’re just in the adding-to-it mode lately. We recently sold our house, and the EXTRA $11,000/month we’re saving (one of the reasons we sold) is going into the retirement fund.

Not to worry, we don’t go without much. I’ve always said if we won the lottery, the only thing that could possibly make our lives easier would be a fractional share in a private jet. Well, that, and retirement.

I’d argue that your bobsled run cost wasn’t equally frivolous to a Disney after-hours party, as you didn‘t already get to use the same track for nine hours earlier in the day!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Some additional context, we're debating a big splurge on our National Parks trip next summer. A 12.5 hour excursion with a one-hour small plane flight over the Grand Canyon, a 4x4 drive through the desert to Antelope Canyon with a one-hour hike through there with a tour guide, ending with a 15 mile flatwater rafting ride from Glen Canyon Dam, past Petroglyph Beach and down toward Horseshoe Bend. About $500 per person. Those three experiences seem like ones we will look back on forever and cherish as a family. So it's not really in our budget, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Our experience at a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was memorable mostly for how long the lines were and how stingy CMs were with the candy. We got some good pictures of us in costume, though.

Mrs Darling

We’re just finishing with payments on braces in time to start paying university costs and eyeing retirement after that. So we’ve been a little more judicious with our spending,generally, for a few years, but the impact of the across the board price increases from Disney may not be what they think, if we’re anything to go by. The effect on us has been to pare back the number of park days (both less frequent and slightly shorter trips) and skip the extras, like parties and higher cost ADRs.
We’ve been there done that anyway, so the extras just don’t seem worth it anymore. When it was an extra hundred here or there it was easy to justify. Even the park hopper costs are a bridge too far for us now- we just plan in a way that doesn’t require hopping.
I keep hoping that they hit their limit, demand tanks, and Chapek gets his financial a$$ handed to him, but that appears to be a pipe dream at this point.

Strangeite

Some additional context, we're debating a big splurge on our National Parks trip next summer. A 12.5 hour excursion with a one-hour small plane flight over the Grand Canyon, a 4x4 drive through the desert to Antelope Canyon with a one-hour hike through there with a tour guide, ending with a 15 mile flatwater rafting ride from Glen Canyon Dam, past Petroglyph Beach and down toward Horseshoe Bend. About $500 per person. Those three experiences seem like ones we will look back on forever and cherish as a family. So it's not really in our budget, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it happen.
$500 is a crazy good price for all of that. A trip just a bit further downstream, from Lee's Ferry to Phantom Ranch, is $2500.

Edit: They are currently still closed because of covid but the National Park has some historic cabins that can be rented. I have stayed at Hull Cabin and it is awesome. I believe I read that NPS is going to be announcing some more reopening and availability on November 1st.

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Based on what you are doing, that seems like a bargain.
$500 is a crazy good price for all of that. A trip just a bit further downstream, from Lee's Ferry to Phantom Ranch, is $2500.

Edit: They are currently still closed because of covid but the National Park has some historic cabins that can be rented. I have stayed at Hull Cabin and it is awesome. I believe I read that NPS is going to be announcing some more reopening and availability on November 1st.

I agree it's a good deal for the experiences, which is why it's hard *not* to try to find the money to do it.

We're not really a cabin or camping family, but we plan on staying in NPS lodges (hotels, really) in Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde NP.

Strangeite

When you’re at the Grand Canyon village make sure to check out the El Tovar. It has a piano that (in non-COVID times) anyone can play. Once a guest called the front desk to complain about the noise from someone playing. So the front desk worker went over and politely asked Paul McCartney to quit playing.