Very Merriest After Hours Pricing

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
When you’re at the Grand Canyon village make sure to check out the El Tovar. It has a piano that (in non-COVID times) anyone can play. Once a guest called the front desk to complain about the noise from someone playing. So the front desk worker went over and politely asked Paul McCartney to quit playing.
In fairness, the ending of Hey Jude does go on and on and on and on

Anne

I can't believe 12/21 just sold out at $249 per person before tax. I really thought there wouldn't be the demand at that price and maybe we'd get offered some kind of last minute discount (we were offered free after hours tickets at check in the very first month because they sold so poorly). I really shouldn't be surprised by this but somehow I am...

Strangeite

I can't believe 12/21 just sold out at $249 per person before tax. I really thought there wouldn't be the demand at that price and maybe we'd get offered some kind of last minute discount (we were offered free after hours tickets at check in the very first month because they sold so poorly). I really shouldn't be surprised by this but somehow I am...

Microeconomics operates from the foundation that individuals are Rational Actors that will weigh costs and benefits and come to a rational conclusion.

Describing Disney fans as "rational" is an extraordinary assumption to say the least (myself included).

RetroCOTfan

As someone who went to Boo Bash (primarily because we always go in the summer and have never really had the opportunity, so wanted to try a nighttime party/After Hours event), I looked at the Very Merriest entertainment and food offerings and got really jealous. Then I remembered the price. And then I remembered how Boo Bash, in retrospect, felt overpriced even though it cost quite a bit less than Very Merriest. Suddenly I wasn't quite so jealous.

And that's as "rational" as I can be about it. :LOL:

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
All I can think is Disney has some geniuses working for them. Each time I feel prices have gone up too much, there still seems to be a demand. They definitely know their audience.

crumjack

We did Boo Bash on Halloween. It felt less crowded than the Halloween parties of a couple years ago but definitely more crowded than the old After Hours events.

One thing I did prefer were the cavalcades instead of the parades. I loved how they didn’t take a ton of time or cut the park in half and that you could pick and choose which ones to see. Cavalcades > parades!!!

RetroCOTfan

We love the dragon so much that we watched it in front of Country Bears, then walked (quickly) through Adventureland to see it from the Hub in front of the Castle. Worked like a charm (with a few minutes to spare).

Ken

For me, money is for (early) retirement. We’ve been in saving-saving-saving mode for the last 10-15 years. Every dollar spent is more time working.

Thatcher: You always used money -
Kane: To buy things.
- Citizen Kane
Amen Brother. We just retired at 57 and moved to Florida. lol

Strangeite

Amen Brother. We just retired at 57 and moved to Florida. lol
We are spoiled. My wife started at the local library as a barista while we were engaged and has moved up since then. She just recently was named Chief of Staff for the whole library system and will be eligible for her full pension at 49. Not bad for a college dropout.* Our youngest will graduate high school in 6 years and I figure we have one more move left in us. My job is to find the land because we have been designing the house for 20some odd years.**

*If it isn't clear, I am really really really proud of my bride.

**It will be odd and go against all advice I give to others as an appraiser, but we don't care.

Reactions: Ken

projectx

Some additional context, we're debating a big splurge on our National Parks trip next summer. A 12.5 hour excursion with a one-hour small plane flight over the Grand Canyon, a 4x4 drive through the desert to Antelope Canyon with a one-hour hike through there with a tour guide, ending with a 15 mile flatwater rafting ride from Glen Canyon Dam, past Petroglyph Beach and down toward Horseshoe Bend. About $500 per person. Those three experiences seem like ones we will look back on forever and cherish as a family. So it's not really in our budget, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it happen.
But this isn't even remotely the same thing. For $250 PER PERSON Disney is offering just a few hours of a glorified version of what you can experience during the day. That's insanity.

For $500pp you're getting 12 hours with personal guides, experiencing things you can't find anywhere else. I understand that's a lot of money. Do it. You don't go on vacation to save money. If you book it, you won't regret it. If you let it pass, you'll always wonder...

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Yeah, that was kind of my point. It's a group tour, so not personal guides, but still an amazing experience for "only" twice what a few extra hours of rides with somewhat shorter waits and a themed parade would cost.

projectx

Yeah, that was kind of my point. It's a group tour, so not personal guides, but still an amazing experience for "only" twice what a few extra hours of rides with somewhat shorter waits and a themed parade would cost.
Group tour or not, you still have a person or two assigned to you making sure you're taken care of all day long. Don't get me wrong, $500 a person would give anyone pause. But I'd bet money you won't regret it.

I dropped $1,500 on a private helicopter tour over the Grand Canyon with my family of 5. That's a ton of money, but you can't get that kind of experience anywhere else, let alone for much less money. I'm glad we did it.

Anne

I dropped $1,500 on a private helicopter tour over the Grand Canyon with my family of 5. That's a ton of money, but you can't get that kind of experience anywhere else, let alone for much less money. I'm glad we did it.
What a striking comparison. For 1.5 times the cost of the after hours for my family we could do a private grand canyon helicopter tour. Yikes!

Alcachofa

What a striking comparison. For 1.5 times the cost of the after hours for my family we could do a private grand canyon helicopter tour. Yikes!

The Walt Disney Company is counting on people not making that comparison. "We're at Disney and there's a party. Wooooo! Let's do it!"

Last edited: