Weird availability

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
For one night in late July. We booked Pop Century. A week or so ago, I started looking at deluxe options. BWI had standard view only, then a day or two later, standard and garden view were available. But I hesitated, and as of a few days ago, no BWI available, but BC had woods/garden view available, so I booked it. Now, because I still browse availability, no more BC for our date. Very strange.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
People are constantly cancelling, moving resorts, etc. I can't speak to this specific situation, but it only takes one room available to book to be available and obviously after it's booked, it's no longer available. The Crescent Lake area in particular is tough with most of the regular rooms operated by Disney still out of inventory with DVC available.

RetroCOTfan

Availability is all over the map. We are going over Columbus Day weekend (10/7-10/12), and early on I booked us a room at All-Star Music because the only other thing available was Coronado. I've been periodically checking to see if I could bump up to something else, and every time I look, the availability is different. Other than Coronado, I've randomly seen Riviera, Pop, Ft. Wilderness Cabins and campsites, and Grand Flo, but each of those only once. (I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a FW cabin.) So now I'm just checking every morning, to see if I can hit the lottery that day. This is my life now.

RetroCOTfan

I stayed in one as a kid, so there's a bit of a nostalgia factor at play, but I haven't stayed there recently. We'd have a car, so I'm thinking that for a short trip it would be a nice, calm place to go back to (and parking right in front of the door is appealing, too). Of course, there's also the Trail's End breakfast buffet - which I'm hopeful will be open in some form by then.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
And this morning, BWI and YC were both available. It seems to change daily.

A few years ago, I spoke with a very helpful CM who was a reservations supervisor; she told me that she couldn't confirm, but based upon her prior job for another hotel chain, she though that WDW might manipulate occupancy rates by making some resorts unavailable. At the time, we had a YC reservation and wanted to switch to BW, but BW was unavailable for the number of nights we wanted. About two weeks prior to check in, BW suddenly was available.

Strangeite

I stayed in one as a kid, so there's a bit of a nostalgia factor at play, but I haven't stayed there recently. We'd have a car, so I'm thinking that for a short trip it would be a nice, calm place to go back to (and parking right in front of the door is appealing, too). Of course, there's also the Trail's End breakfast buffet - which I'm hopeful will be open in some form by then.

Childhood memories probably play a role in my feelings as well. Growing up my grandparents had a campground with park models very similar to the ones at FW, which are basically a small single wide trailer with wood siding. So when I walked into the ones at FW, my initial reaction was "These are just like the park models at the Park (what we call my grandparents place), but smaller."

It was my own fault for not really looking into what I was renting and for having too high expectations.

You are right though that being able to grab Trail's End breakfast easily is a huge plus.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
And this morning, BWI and YC were both available. It seems to change daily.

A few years ago, I spoke with a very helpful CM who was a reservations supervisor; she told me that she couldn't confirm, but based upon her prior job for another hotel chain, she though that WDW might manipulate occupancy rates by making some resorts unavailable. At the time, we had a YC reservation and wanted to switch to BW, but BW was unavailable for the number of nights we wanted. About two weeks prior to check in, BW suddenly was available.
I imagine it's not an easy job to staff a large resort, and to predict occupancy, though Disney resorts might be easier to predict based on traditional crowds. Still, keeping the right number of staff affects the resort's profits.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I don't know why it never occurred to me that Disney might be using (probably should be using) a dynamic pricing model for its resorts. It would not only help manage occupancy across the resort, it would balance supply and demand at individual properties. It makes no sense, for example, to have one deluxe resort at 100% occupancy and another at 85% when they could both be at 93% (or whatever the math works out to be). Dynamic pricing of resorts is way less obvious to the consumer than dynamic pricing of theme park or sporting event tickets, and in WDW's case, it's a far larger market, considering average room rates per night.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I don't know why it never occurred to me that Disney might be using (probably should be using) a dynamic pricing model for its resorts. It would not only help manage occupancy across the resort, it would balance supply and demand at individual properties. It makes no sense, for example, to have one deluxe resort at 100% occupancy and another at 85% when they could both be at 93% (or whatever the math works out to be). Dynamic pricing of resorts is way less obvious to the consumer than dynamic pricing of theme park or sporting event tickets, and in WDW's case, it's a far larger market, considering average room rates per night.

This sounds like what the CM told me. We wanted BWI for one night. Not available for one or two nights, but was available for three nights. YC was available for one night, so we booked it. I guess once they got the YC occupancy where they wanted it, they opened up BW for 1-2 night bookings.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
More WDW resort reservation system oddities...

We switched our arrival from 7/30 to 7/29, so I looked to add 7/29 to our BWI reservation (check in 7/29, check out 7/31). No dice. CSR, AoA and GF are available. Nothing else.

I try 7/29 check in, 7/30 check out and CSR, CBR, AoA, BC, Riviera and GF are available.

Out of curiosity, I try 7/30 check in, 7/31 check out (which we already have booked at BWI), and Pop, CSR, AoA, YC, Riv and GF are available.

So I can get one night at BC/YC/BW, but not two at the same resort. :confused::(

I'm sure as I stalk availability daily I'll eventually get both nights.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Update...I got BWI for 7/29. So I have BWI for the nights of 7/29 and 7/30.

But...they are separate reservations, because the 7/29 room I booked this morning is a standard view, and the 7/30 room I'd previously booked is a garden view. So I have to continue reservation stalking to get two nights in the same room. :RpS_laugh:

RetroCOTfan

Congrats!

I keep checking every morning for my July and October dates, just to see what's out there. In the last week or so, I did see that availability has opened up at the Grand Floridian, but it's club level. That's a bit of a price jump from the standard room I currently have booked at All-Star Music. Like, a $1200+ per night jump, so I'll pass. :LOL:

beachta1

Congrats!

I keep checking every morning for my July and October dates, just to see what's out there. In the last week or so, I did see that availability has opened up at the Grand Floridian, but it's club level. That's a bit of a price jump from the standard room I currently have booked at All-Star Music. Like, a $1200+ per night jump, so I'll pass. :LOL:

We'll be there in Oct at the same time! Good luck in your search, I keep checking back too. People change and cancel all the time.

RetroCOTfan

We'll be there in Oct at the same time! Good luck in your search, I keep checking back too. People change and cancel all the time.
See you there! LOL

I am keeping fingers crossed that the influx of CPs and reduction of COVID measures (like CMs watching for masks, social distancing, etc.) will free up some personnel to get some more resorts open.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Congrats!

Yeah, i saw GF for $1211/night. I didn't have to think too hard about that one. :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh:

Disneyfan

Yeah, i saw GF for $1211/night. I didn't have to think too hard about that one. :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh: :RpS_laugh:
Well one day the tides will again turn and Disney will again be begging us to come back. I am glad that clicked on this thread. Makes me very happy about my stay at GF and YC next week. I booked last fall with a "special" PIN code the apparently half the world got.

RetroCOTfan

$1200 a night club level rooms? I can't be the only person thinking guest blog here.
Hey, I write for a living. Give me the easywdw corporate credit card and I'd be glad to take one for the team by spending a couple of nights there and writing a review. I'd even promise to make it a 20,000-word epic, if needed.