What are you reading?

off2neverland

Peanut butter is yummy.
Oooh Vicki- this is a great thread. I am always struggling to find good reads. The Kindle was the best thing that ever happened to me- library is lousy in this small town and book store is even worse!
I love that I can download free samples- read a bit- then buy, or not!

I loved The Help and Poisonwood Bible- read that twice!

Just read Fall of Giants- supposed to be book one of a trilogoy but Ken Follett is getting old so he better write fast! It's a stand alone story as well- liked it a lot.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand- I had these on my kindle for quick reads while traveling last month and while I thought they were both good, enjoyable reads- kind of short but maybe just a "bit of fluff"

I have the sample of Cleopatra- read maybe 10 pages but haven't gone back to it- it seemed more like a textbook than a "novel" to me but maybe I should give it a 2nd look- I do like historical fiction but I want a "story" with it-- not just the facts, kwim?

Brooke- have you read any other Kingsolver's books? So far I've liked everything of hers but started Lacuna and can't seem to get into it- have you read that?

So now I am downloading:

Guernsey Literary...
Little Bee
Sarah's Key

and checking Let the Great World Spin- what's that about?

My mom has rec'd The Glass Castle a few times to me- but it looks depressing- has anyone read it?

Husker Mouse

staying at best friends pet care while her dogs en
I couldn't get into Let the Great World Spin either. I also can't get my computer to underline the title, it is on its way out! I am re-reading A New Earth and Prayerfulness. These are two separate books (Sorry again for the lack of underscore). I need these right now in my life. They are life changing and I love reading about Spiritual leaders of the past. They can be a hard read but, IMO worth it! Thanks for the other ideas out there. I will be ready for some lighter reading in a week or two.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Christine,
I really enjoyed The Glass Castle. Not depressing, or a 'poor little ole me' book. I loved her writing.

roball

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you
Christine- If you enjoy historical fiction, you might enjoy Mrs. Licoln: A Life.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Christine - hi!

I agree that Glass Castle seems way too dark. I did read the sample.

I have Fall of Giants - the whole book on the Kindle - but I started it a few times and quit. I know I will read it though and probably love it - I loved his other books like that World Without End and whatever the one before that one was.

I'm not much a Barbara Kingsolver fan - I read one of her books (can't even remember which one) and I thought it was so-so. But I'm open to all ideas, so I'm adding some of these to my list!

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
Currently reading with highlighter and notebook in hand: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids :RpS_wink:

off2neverland

Peanut butter is yummy.
World Without End and Pillars of the Earth- loved them both- Pillars more than World I think
they set me off on a medieval era reading spree then I got a bit weary of all that medieval stuff. What a miserable life those people really had.

I started sample of Hangman's Daughter yesterday and was a bit grossed out/depressed- think I'll skip that one for now.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
I've read The Glass Castle and liked it. She's got another book out but I haven't read it.

tedescokid

Great thread - I got a Nook for Christmas from hubby. I just need to figure out how to download some stuff from the library.

Hi Vicki, Thadine & Christine :) & Josh :)

Tonya

lisapennie

does judge
Let's see - I got a Kindle this past fall, so I've been trying to get books on that when I can't get them from the library. I've read a bunch of the free titles (not the classics - I've read enough of those doing a BA, MA, and a good body of the work toward a PhD in English, so I'm taking a break), but I've now hit the point where most of the free ones that are left are religious in nature, and quite frankly that's just not my cup of tea.

I tend to alternate between chick lit, young adult lit, and fantasy lit when I'm choosing books. I really enjoyed Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore, and Sherwood Smith has done some good stuff (they both do YA fantasy), but I've run out of titles from them. I adore an Australian author by the name of Jennifer Fallon, but, again, I've ran out of books. She does really intriguing political stuff set in fantasy universes (but magic tends to be a very minor component, which I actually prefer - I'm not big on the whole magic can fix every problem view that some authors have).

Christopher Moore is a very funny, irreverent author who I've read several times (though I don't recommend him if you're easily offended - he swears and doesn't hold much sacred, but he writes some of the most memorable characters I've ever encountered). I loved Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and I personally find a lot of historical non-fiction fascinating.

I read a bunch of Meg Cabot's chick lit (not the Princess Diaries books) a few years ago and she was very funny - and I liked Elizabeth Young for the same reason. I'm not big on depressing - if I'm going to go in that direction, I'll go back to the classics, as they tend to do it better. But I'm always looking for someone new to read

I have 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' on my Nook to read next but I don't want to start because I heard it is really slow to start :RpS_bored:
It is a bit tough to get into with all the non-Americanized names/places/etc., but once I caught on to who people were and ignored the unfamiliar stuff I got into it and got hooked. Not my normal cup of tea, but really engrossing and enjoyable.

I also highly recommend "The Huger Games" and the two books that followed.
I have this one out from the library. It's next on my to be read pile. Right now I'm reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I really enjoyed her Mortal Instruments books (waiting for the next one) and this one is the prequal.

4mickeyfreax

the bank says yes
I was reading Mr. Strange and Dr. Norrell on DH's recommendation, he loved it and finished the book in about a week. I invested about 350 pages into it, and had to quit, it wasn't my thing. That is totally unlike me. When I start a book, I am usually committed until the end (hence the 350 pages)--couldn't do it for this one. I just started Eggs last night. DD10 read it as an assignment for school, and really liked it, and now wants me to read it so we can have a book discussion.:RpS_thumbup:

Darcie

board on easywdw.com
Books I've read (and liked :RpS_smile: ) lately:

Room
The Help
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
Secret Daughter
The Guernsey Literary & Potatoe Peel Pie Society
The Book of Negroes
The Glass Castle
Sarah's Key
Water for Elephants
The Forgotten Garden

I also read a lot by John Lescroart, David Baldacci, Joy Fielding, Kathy Reichs.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I loved Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck by Erik Larson, and I personally find a lot of historical non-fiction fascinating.
Devil in the White City was one of my fsvorite books, I love, love, loved it. It was so fascinating. I have Thunderstuck in a pile somewhere, I think, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I used to exclusively read non-fiction. Figured I may as well learn something while I'm reading. Just recently I let some historical fiction in and have now opened it up more. I figured, I watch movies that aren't true, why can't I read a book just for the shear enjoyment. Just because it's not true, doesn't mean I'm not learning something.

Oh and I had let the Twilight series thru my 'non-fiction' wall. Oh come on! I'm sure there's more of you. One of us had to admit it first.

roball

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you
4 I just started[I said:
Eggs [/I]last night. DD10 read it as an assignment for school, and really liked it, and now wants me to read it so we can have a book discussion.:RpS_thumbup:
I have Eggs on my Nook and am planning to read it along with my DS 10.

Darcie

board on easywdw.com
Haha. I read & loved the Twilight series too. I also read the Stookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series. I didn't love them but they are entertaining.

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
Haha. I read & loved the Twilight series too. I also read the Stookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series. I didn't love them but they are entertaining.
Read them too! I actually liked them more than Twilight! A little more adult than Twilight, but not as "heavy" as the show!

I am reading Tick Tock by James Patterson. I love most of his 'series' books. I think this is the 4th Michael Bennett book.

I read the Twilight Series and tried the Sookie books.

It's interesting to see how many of you have read the same books as each other. Maybe I'll check some of them out. I'm definitely more of a murder/mystery/suspense kind that likes to get caught up on the first page. :RpS_unsure: