What are you reading?

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I just finished reading The Innocent Man, a non-fiction book by John Grisham. It's about some wrongful convictions in Oklahama, focusing on one case in particular. Very engaging book.

txSherry

Resident Lurker
I finished Hunger Games, and can I just say: WOW. I was going to start in on book 2, but needed a break. It's pretty heavy.

I gave DD permission to start reading it, but gave her the overview first so that she could decide. She wants to. Of course we've been FLU city since the trip, so she hasn't felt much like anything.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
I was just thinking about pulling this thread up! I just started the 2nd Hunger Games book - it's very good as well, I think I'm about 1/2 done already.

Since we last chatted, I have also read (at least I don't think I listed these before):
Defending Jacob - very good, with a twisty ending.

Learning to Swim - pretty good

The Leopard - Jo Nesbo - very good.

I lucked out and got all 3 of those from the library.

txSherry

Resident Lurker
I'm such a slow reader!! I'm already ready to read the next Hunger Games book. I want to find out what happens with ... well... everyone!

cocosmeme

My book club read the whole trilogy of Hunger Games and I was surprised at how much I liked the books. I can't say I "loved" them but they made for very good discussion at book club. I have a difficult time with them being written for pre teens and teens. I would not like mine to read them without family discussion (a lot of it). Last month we read "The First Assassin", and this month's book is "Sarah's Key". We try to read different genre and pick books we would not normally read on our own.

Jade

For those of you that read The Hunger Games, did you find that the 2nd and 3rd books weren't as good? I really liked the first book (couldn't put it down), but the 2nd one didn't do it for me, and the third was just disappointing. I feel like the writing was not as well done ... is it just me?

I'm currently reading The Gravedigger's Ball (a crime novel) by Solomon Jones and The Science of Doctor Who, which is actually pretty interesting, but probably only to fans of the show.

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
For those of you that read The Hunger Games, did you find that the 2nd and 3rd books weren't as good? I really liked the first book (couldn't put it down), but the 2nd one didn't do it for me, and the third was just disappointing. I feel like the writing was not as well done ... is it just me?

I'm currently reading The Gravedigger's Ball (a crime novel) by Solomon Jones and The Science of Doctor Who, which is actually pretty interesting, but probably only to fans of the show.
I loved book 2, but I did have a difficult time getting through the 3rd one. It just didn't draw me in like the others...

goodferry

Regarding the Hunger Games, I loved one and two, but not three. I felt like she rushed through the third book so she could finish the story, it wasn't as well written or edited.

Rowan

I loved the first and second but found the third a bit lacking too. I was still interested enough to finish, mostly to find out what happened at the end of the story, but it wasnt nearly as good as the first two.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I just finished reading The Book Thief. It was a very nice, interesting book. The narrator is the grim reaper, or death, really. I enjoyed it.

I was finally ready to read The Hunger Games (it just didn't seem like a book that would interest me, but with all the hype, I have to join in), but a book I had on hold at the library is available, so I need to read that one, before my hold expires. It's The Winter Sea, however, I have a feeling it won't be that engaging and I may end up giving up on it to start The Hunger Games.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
Janine - we must be in the same reading circle!

I have The Book Thief on my shelf - it's one of those "have it in hard copy, but wish I had it as an e-book" books.

I also have The Winter Sea on my Kindle and I truly have no recollection of buying it - LOL! Haven't started it yet either.

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
I have to admit, I bought a magazine today because it had Katniss Everdeen on the cover. :)

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
Me too!!! Some girls from my MOPs group and I are *considering* going at midnight. Are you doing a midnight showing too then?

Jana

I loved the first and second but found the third a bit lacking too. I was still interested enough to finish, mostly to find out what happened at the end of the story, but it wasnt nearly as good as the first two.
I finally got on board with all the hoopla and started The Hunger Games on the train in my way home from work on Friday. I finished it on Saturday. I started the second Saturday night. I started the third this morning! I agree, though, I feel the third is much slower. I'm finally taking break!

simbasmom

Right now I'm reading Suddenly one Summer by Barbara Freethy. I alternate between romance books and what are called "cozy mysteries", like the dead-end job mysteries, cat in the stacks mysteries, cooking mysteries, etc. I prefer not to think too much when I read. I'd love some ideas of the kind of romance/comedy books-are they called "chick lit", I think it was Sophia Kinesela (or some name like that) I enjoyed a long time ago.

marlaine

I read The Hunger Games and just finished the 2nd one last night. I really liked the first one, the second one was pretty good. I'm a fast reader, and finished the 2nd one in a day. I'll start The Mockingjay tonight. I read that the author says that the 3rd one is final, with no plans to continue the story. I hope it has a satisfying ending. I really want to know who she chooses and what her future holds.
I can't wait for the movie! I hope it stays true to the story.

AmeliaPond

Right now I'm reading Suddenly one Summer by Barbara Freethy. I alternate between romance books and what are called "cozy mysteries", like the dead-end job mysteries, cat in the stacks mysteries, cooking mysteries, etc. I prefer not to think too much when I read. I'd love some ideas of the kind of romance/comedy books-are they called "chick lit", I think it was Sophia Kinesela (or some name like that) I enjoyed a long time ago.
I love chick lit and cozy mysteries. I just started reading the Hannah Swensen mysteries by Joanne Fluke.

Some chick lit authors I like - Lisa Jewell, Marian Keyes, Isabel Wolff.

I also like James Patterson books.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Me too!!! Some girls from my MOPs group and I are *considering* going at midnight. Are you doing a midnight showing too then?
Nope. I have been seeing the big releases the day before. (Not at midnight, but an advance screening the evening before.) I couldn't swing it for this one so I'll be seeing it on Friday night at 7:00.

Hope your midnight showing works out!