What happened to my TV service?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
If you don't care about sports and have good internet, then you actually have a lot of options.

I haven't used it and haven't talked to anyone that has but you might be best served using a combination. Philo offers very cheap access to cable channels. It doesn't offer locals though. For that a TiVo with a good OTA antenna would give you DVR for the local networks. Definitely would be far cheaper per month (Philo is something like $20 a month) and you'd have the "luxury" of still being able to watch the local news if internet goes down in inclement weather.

I do know that you can use Philo as a TV provider, so if you downloaded the apps to the cable channels you watch, then you could probably use the TiVo as your primary box. Again, I have never tried this combination and it would require an initial outlay for the cost of the TiVo box and the antenna, but it should work. The Philo and TiVo monthly subscriptions would certainly be less than the DirecTV bill.

Thanks for the tips. I’m trying to avoid any kind of “box,” and go streaming only, so I’d need some kind of cloud DVR. Locast provides local channels in my area, but I don’t know if I could DVR anything from that.

I wish there was a site/app where I can pick which channels I want and they’d do the work to put together options. Seems like there should be something out there like that.

Can you tell I haven’t really researched this deeply yet?!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Thanks for the tips. I’m trying to avoid any kind of “box,” and go streaming only, so I’d need some kind of cloud DVR. Locast provides local channels in my area, but I don’t know if I could DVR anything from that.

I wish there was a site/app where I can pick which channels I want and they’d do the work to put together options. Seems like there should be something out there like that.

Can you tell I haven’t really researched this deeply yet?!

This is how the other 99% of people feel about planning a Walt Disney World vacation.

pixarprincess

What to do if you don’t care a whit about sports of any kind (excel figure skating)? We’ve had DirecTV for 21 years since we built the house, and I’m sick of paying almost $80/month for just about basic service. I need my local channels and DVR capabilities. Or at least I think I do.
Sling gets us a DVR and 2 local channels Paramount gets us a 3rd. We miss ABC, but its not the end of the world. If you want all local and DVR try Youtube tv, its pretty comprehensive in that respect. Our friend has it and lets us use it sometimes. I would be fine with switching if needed.

pixarprincess

I feel this deeply, also I feel this way about satelite radio. Like I "pay" for a million channels I never listen to. I almost never deviate from the 16 my car pre-program can hold. I'd be happy to pay somewhat less to just pick those 16 or even 20-25 channels and get nothing else.

geek1997

This is how the other 99% of people feel about planning a Walt Disney World vacation.
The ROI on the Disney planning is much greater and more rewarding. I find this to be about as exciting as finding a new energy provider every 12 to 18 months.

- Resident of a deregulated state :rolleyes:
I would like to be able to pick 3-5 shows in an app, set how many of each series I want to watch, and have them "shuffle" the episodes - you know, basically what regular TV programming does already. I told you we were lazy TV watchers.

pixarprincess

The ROI on the Disney planning is much greater and more rewarding. I find this to be about as exciting as finding a new energy provider every 12 to 18 months.

- Resident of a deregulated state :rolleyes:

I would like to be able to pick 3-5 shows in an app, set how many of each series I want to watch, and have them "shuffle" the episodes - you know, basically what regular TV programming does already. I told you we were lazy TV watchers.
I'd go with sling or youtube then. it has both a library of on demand stuff, and regular channel programming. And I get it, I watch Harry Potter any time its on TV. We own them all in digital format. Couldn't tell you the last time I used that format to watch them.

Micah008

Staff member
We 'cut the cord' last summer and have tried many different services since then, all through our Roku (which by the way... I recommend using Roku for sure, we now own 3 Roku's for different TVs and one of them we can easily travel with too).

My recommendation is to try out the different services for yourself, they almost all have a free trial, some are only 3 days long, but many are a week or sometimes even more depending on promos and specials. It doesn't hurt to just try them out, as long as you remember to cancel after the free trial. In addition to our Disney+ subscription which we have kept, we have tried Hulu, Philo, Sling, Discovery+, Peacock Premium, Paramount+, and more ... we even used Vidgo for 3 days, which we timed just for the sole purpose of watching a specific Monday night football game for free. There are also many free (add supported) ones out there to try out, but a lot of the channels are not very good.

Try them out and see what you like, and if nothing else you get multiple weeks if not months of service for free (or cheap) while you are testing them out.

For what its worth, I think I liked Sling the best (you can try their Blue or Orange package with different channels) especially and the way it worked (their concept of a DVR specifically), but Discovery+ is probably what we got the most use out of. Some others we almost never watched even when we had the trial.

geek1997

I found thestreamable.com tonight which has a "Matchmaker Tool" where you can input the stations you want (not local) and it will compare the major provider packages. YouTube TV looks to be the frontrunner so far - the only station it doesn't have is Boomerang and I can get a sep subscription for $5/month if we decide we really need it. But a lot of the shows my 10yo watched on there are on HBOMax. Sling packages are close but by the time I add all the extra packages to get some of the channels it ends up being more expensive than YouTube. We could probably do without some of those so we may do as Micah suggests and try a couple of them out.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I think we'd be able and willing to cord cut if I could find a DVR that worked for streaming services. Some have cloud DVR, some don't. Some have good on demand, others don't. We rarely watch live TV shows. We DVR and watch when it's convenient.

bnoble

he's right
On the subject of DVR: I have noticed that Fubo's seems to insert ads even when you are trying to skip them---which is one of the points of having a DVR. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be noticeable.

DopeyRunr

On the subject of DVR: I have noticed that Fubo's seems to insert ads even when you are trying to skip them---which is one of the points of having a DVR. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be noticeable.
YouTubeTV does this when it "replaces" the DVR'd version of a program (where you can FFWD commercials) with the On Demand version of a program (only happens with certain channels), which usually happens 24-48 hours after the live airing.

RetroCOTfan

We've been using YouTube TV for 18 months or so now, and have mostly enjoyed it. There are a few minor gripes--I'd like to be able to delete recordings from my DVR, choose channels and pay less, etc., and the price creep is annoying--but overall I think the interface is easy to use, and pretty user-friendly. I like that I can edit the guide to whatever order I want. Solves the "too many useless channels cluttering up my guide" problem.

I will say that over the last 2-3 months it seems like YTTV (or maybe my local network station?) is compressing or downgrading images on some programs. For example, This Is Us is almost unwatchable. It's a show that is shot pretty dark, and the compression/quality is so low that the dark scenes almost look like they're constructed from Lego. Anyone else noticed this? (And yeah, I've verified the quality, bandwidth, internet speed, etc.) I point fingers at YTTV over this because when I wait and watch the shows later on Hulu, the quality if normal. It's like for some reason YTTV just compresses certain shows.

This weekend I tried out AT&T TV - their streaming service similar to YTTV. Yuck. No rewind/ff live TV, clunky guide, weird user interface/controls. I cancelled within 30 minutes.

DopeyRunr

I point fingers at YTTV over this because when I wait and watch the shows later on Hulu, the quality if normal. It's like for some reason YTTV just compresses certain shows.
If I had to guess, it's because they're streaming your local affiliate live in real-time, vs. Hulu (or any network) on Demand which is a pre-recorded optimized HD or 4K stream.

RetroCOTfan

If I had to guess, it's because they're streaming your local affiliate live in real-time, vs. Hulu (or any network) on Demand which is a pre-recorded optimized HD or 4K stream.
Yeah, this is what I was leaning toward, too. It's just been a change in the last few months; I didn't notice in the first year+ that I was using it.

DopeyRunr

To be fair, if you're so eager to watch a show that you'll sit through unskippable commercials, you get what you get. ;)

RetroCOTfan

Haha - true! We rarely watch anything with commercials - for shows that we want to watch the night they air, we DVR them and just watch time-shifted enough to skip through the commercials. That's where I'm seeing the problem - on some of these DVR'd shows.

geek1997

This weekend I tried out AT&T TV - their streaming service similar to YTTV. Yuck. No rewind/ff live TV, clunky guide, weird user interface/controls. I cancelled within 30 minutes.
How can they offer this on their cable service but not streaming?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how "streaming tv" is any different from what we currently have with Uverse - function-wise. We have their "fiber" service, internet, and a landline. But as far as I can tell everything runs through the fiber. And our main "cable" box and phone are linked in to the "gateway" and the other two are wireless. So aren't we basically already getting cable through internet? So how is streaming tv (especially if we were to use AT&T tv) functionally different from what we already have - aside from interface? If our internet goes out, so does our cable.