What happened to my TV service?

RetroCOTfan

Yeah, we had UVerse for years - we were in one of their first test markets, and just kept it forever. We liked it, but eventually they priced us out and refused to give us any kind of discount, even after we cancelled. Now they don't even offer it in our market.

I have no idea why their "streaming" service would be so very user unfriendly; I was honestly shocked. How you can offer a streaming service that doesn't even pause/rewind live TV blows my mind.

I think the only real difference, other than interface, between what you have and their streaming service is the cable box. The streaming service runs entirely off streaming devices which, at least for me (with a Roku), eliminates any kind of set-top box.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
So aren't we basically already getting cable through internet?
The only broadband provider in our market is the cable company (Spectrum) which comes over a coaxial cable. We cut the cord, but aren't we getting internet through cable?

Strangeite

So aren't we basically already getting cable through internet?

...but aren't we getting internet through cable?

And around here one of the ISPs has been upgrading their DSL network to a hybrid-DSL network so those customers are getting their internet and cable through the phone.

And I guess the people using a WISP are getting their internet, cable and phone through radio.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I like the idea of getting my broadband internet and casey kasem's american top 40 all from the same place.

Goofballs

From Roku to existing customers:
“Our commitment is to always put your interests first and therefore we will continue to offer existing users access to YouTube TV unless Google takes actions that require the full removal of the channel. New subscribers will not be allowed at this time. It is also important that you do not delete the YouTube TV channel as it will not be available for download to Roku devices.”

Broncho

If you still want to try YouTube TV but didn't get it downloaded before Roku pulled it be downloaded, you can get a Chromecast with Google TV. It syncs up with YouTube TV to where you can see the guide from the home screen of the Chromecast and go straight to a show without opening the YouTube TV app. Makes it nice to see what is on without having to open the app.

geek1997

If you still want to try YouTube TV but didn't get it downloaded before Roku pulled it be downloaded, you can get a Chromecast with Google TV. It syncs up with YouTube TV to where you can see the guide from the home screen of the Chromecast and go straight to a show without opening the YouTube TV app. Makes it nice to see what is on without having to open the app.
We did get a Chromecast for our upstairs TV since we have an Apple TV on the downstairs TV. I like the functionality much better than AppleTV. The ability to set a Library of favorite shows in the main interface and it pulls from whatever streaming service is better than having to recall what app to go to. Other pros of the Chromecast: the remote is better than AppleTV remote, it travels well, and was much less expensive than another AppleTV. Thank you, @Broncho , for the recommendation.

We are one week into a 14day trial for YouTubeTV and it's "okay". I like that you can hide channels you don't want but miss the ability to just type in a channel number to jump between channels; there seems to be a lot more button pushing required to get where we want for things on YouTubeTV. Turns out we mostly watched the West Coast version of channels so that's a bit of a loss but we've just been turning to the other apps if there isn't something on. So the other option we've been entertaining is if we even need "cable" at all. Pricing out all of the apps to get the content we want may actually be cheaper if paired with Locast for local channels.

Spectrum is only offered through XFinity (Comcast) here so that wasn't an option. I've read AT&T is trying to get out of the TV market altogether which means we'll loose the "free" subscription ot HBOMax at some point and will need to pick up Discovery+ if the deal is approved. So that also means we won't even bother with AT&T TV.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. We haven't completely solved the equation yet but are working on it.

RetroCOTfan

We are one week into a 14day trial for YouTubeTV and it's "okay". I like that you can hide channels you don't want but miss the ability to just type in a channel number to jump between channels; there seems to be a lot more button pushing required to get where we want for things on YouTubeTV.
You may have already discovered this, but not only can you hide channels, you can re-arrange the channel guide. I did this by putting the channels I watch most often at the top, so I'm rarely (if ever) scrolling through more than 7-8 options. It's a workaround, but I agree - I miss the days of just typing in a number and jumping straight to something, too.