Where is off2neverland?

ada

I have been following these threads but have not yet replied because it seems like such a complicated issue.

Thankfully, these more eloquent posters sum up my thoughts:

I miss them all too.
Well, as Trudy said, it's new to people who are just finding out. So let them express their regret. You don't have to reply, of course, if you feel so strongly about not fanning the flames.
I look at this site as Josh's. We are here by his grace really, he doesn't have to do all this at no charge to us. He could tell us to go get a lines app and read boards at the dis. We appreciate what he does though, so let's be respectful, help keep his project a happy place and if you do disagree with something, take it up with him personally if you feel the need. He's always responded to any PM I've sent him. I'm not saying worship the man, I'm just saying I feel bad reading people questioning his actions or decisions.
Think positive people.:RpS_thumbsup:
As a side note, this is my first attempt to have the cool cartoon quote box in one of my replies and I don't actually know how to do it, so hopefully the quote boxes work. If they don't, then just chalk it up to my computer illiteracy...

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Josh, I don't see why you're so defensive here? I don't think anyone said anything negative about you on this thread. What folk may think about what happened ... well, I can't speak for that. In an earlier thread (non-Chat) you yourself mentioned that the 'discussion' went on for several pages. I'm not sure if you're responding to fizboBunny... I certainly hope not.

I think it's true that infrequent readers who used to get lots of help from Christine are going to be logging on and wondering why she's not around any more. Not everyone reads the Chat threads... I don't regularly and I do read a lot of the other forums here.
I don't think it's possible for me to be any less defensive than I am being. If I was "defensive" threads like this would either be deleted or closed and I would have quashed all discussion long ago. Frankly, I am sick and tired of the implication that I'm a liar. And if you think that I am, I ask that you leave my site.

moscow

To return to our regularly scheduled programming - so Josh, is there a chance of an updated Universal report once they open the new HP rides? (My totally selfish request based upon my upcoming Universal trip!)

ellie

waiting for a street car
I can imagine it would definitely be unpleasant and stressful to feel that folk thought you were a liar. Your post just seemed to forcefully come out of the blue as I didn't think anyone on this thread implied that, just as George wrote, expressing their regret. But I think I understand better now the feelings that prompted it. I wasn't sensitive to that before.

Last edited:

amk3

I look at this site as Josh's. We are here by his grace really, he doesn't have to do all this at no charge to us. He could tell us to go get a lines app and read boards at the dis. We appreciate what he does though, so let's be respectful, help keep his project a happy place and if you do disagree with something, take it up with him personally if you feel the need. He's always responded to any PM I've sent him. I'm not saying worship the man, I'm just saying I feel bad reading people questioning his actions or decisions.
Think positive people.:RpS_thumbsup:
Perhaps we start from a different premise. I assume Josh does this in part to make a quasi-business out of a hobby and not purely as a charity. I'm here because Christine was here. To me, getting advice from Christine was the best part of TGM so I was delighted to find her again. I became more delighted as I saw more and more people whose advice I valued.

Why were the TGM forums better than disboards? The old TGM materials (before they became woefully outdated) set up a common culture with a sound approach to the parks, something easywdw also has. But, then why wouldn't touringplans have great forums? They have similar plans and similar advice. I think TGM forums benefited from a barrier to entry in the form of the subscription and that subscribers were forced to complete reading a great deal of material before they would find the forums. Easywdw doesn't have those barriers to entry, but its forums were boosted tremendously by the migration over of frequent posters on TGM. This meant less bouncing emoticons and more analytical thinking. (There's nothing wrong with emoticons, but too many disboards posts have more emoticons than meaningful content.) It also sometimes has meant here as it did at TGM that smart people with a strong background point out if you are making a foolish choice. Sometimes the point was made with kindness. Other times, perhaps the person was having a bad day. I had one or two comments made to me that I didn't particularly care for. But, it lead to me posting more thoughtfully.

So, yes, on balance, having some comments being slightly offputting at times is part of the charm of the forum, and stands in contrast to Disboards, which gladly suffers posters leaving misinformation and bad plans.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
I don't think it's possible for me to be any less defensive than I am being. If I was "defensive" threads like this would either be deleted or closed and I would have quashed all discussion long ago. Frankly, I am sick and tired of the implication that I'm a liar. And if you think that I am, I ask that you leave my site.
Josh-personally, I think you should lock this thread and any that stray this way. I don't think you are being defensive in any way but you are being forced to defend yourself, your actions, and your way of handling your site on a reoccurring basis.

I have been a member of this forum since the beginning, 2/2011, and have received so much that I could never repay anyone who has helped me.

I do truly miss Pam and her comments. Brenda provided me with an immense amount of help and information for my last trip. And I am sure I have received advice from Christine as well.

That being said, none of them come close to what Josh has given all of us with this website, forum, touring plans, calendars, and now book.

This is Josh's site. His snarky story telling is what drew a lot of us in. His spot on advice has kept us here. Respect him, please!

safroim

That being said, none of them come close to what Josh has given all of us with this website, forum, touring plans, calendars, and now book.

This is Josh's site. His snarky story telling is what drew a lot of us in. His spot on advice has kept us here. Respect him, please!
This. I have nothing against those who left. If you feel something is missing, please contact them directly and ask for their advice. Otherwise, take advantage of the awesome wealth of information and knowledge available here and have a positive attitude!

Last edited:

bandzmom

Josh-personally, I think you should lock this thread and any that stray this way. I don't think you are being defensive in any way but you are being forced to defend yourself, your actions, and your way of handling your site on a reoccurring basis.
Agree totally. A link to the original conversation was provided which is still online and if one follows the thread from that point it provides more than enough information to answer what happened. It was unfortunate for all involved. People made their decisions. End of story. End of comments.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Closing threads has always seemed a bit totalitarian to me. It's either discuss it here and now or here and later. If we can get it all out now it will only make it easier to push forward.

Marianna

I wouldn't want to see threads being locked. There is a lot to be said for discussion and hopefully increased understanding and I think Josh is trying to deal fairly with this turn of events, but every time that thread is reposted it's like a fresh accusation. That was a private situation that should never have been openly posted and having been posted doesn't make it fact.

A few years ago I moderated a forum and was accused of dealing unfairly with some members (uunderhanded stuff). It wasn't true, but being publicly accused really really sucked. Especially as I really value honesty and fair dealing. So, have some compassion, guys.

*Josh, just saw your post. This is why I'm a member here. I swore I'd never join another forum, but I've always found you to be a pretty straight up guy. :)

bandzmom

Closing threads has always seemed a bit totalitarian to me..
Agree with this and as a poster (and a curious person) I don't like to see it when threads are locked. I guess my concern is that after a month some other well meaning person will come ask the question and here we go again, and so on. However, that being said, you are the one left deal with it, so as everything else on this forum it is ultimately what you are willing to put up with. I guess that's why you get paid the big bucks, right? :RpS_thumbsup: Speaking of bucks, I ordered your book earlier this week. It should have arrived today with my Prime membership, but it seems that it is so popular they are now hoping it will be here by next Tuesday. Can't wait!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently your girl off2neverland went on a bit of a rampage deleting sticky information like the acronym list and replacing it with just an 'x': http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?128-6-Sticky-Help!-What-language-are-you-speaking-(Acronyms-for-All) a couple weeks ago (Thanks to a private message for pointing it out). Fortunately it only takes a moment to pull up and reinstitute the previous versions.

I have added her to the banned user group so this sort of thing won't be an issue in the future.

Sorry.

ellie

waiting for a street car
off2neverland created the information, correct? If so it seems reasonable for her to have removed it after she was unmoderated. Software folk would have realized that you could easily replace it. So you and the site luck out and get to keep great information that she created for free.

ellie

waiting for a street car
You must be talking about a different acronym list. I was thinking of the Theme Park Touring and Strategy Forum sticky she created back on 02-19-2011

If the acronym you are looking for is not in list above, post it here and I'll add it.
I am sure I missed some so please post any others you can think of- so I can update the list.
Thanks

Last edited by off2neverland; 02-19-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Which acronym list did you mean?