Which DVC resort?

carrie

We're thinking about taking our parents in January and they all have mobility/stamina issues. At least one will need a wheel chair or ECV, maybe all 3 (especially as the trip goes on). Which DVC resort would you suggest? I'm thinking about transportation to and from the parks, just getting to the transportation at the hotel, etc. What's going to be easiest? Can Disney busses even handle 3 ECV's at once?

The plan is to get a 2 bedroom villa somewhere as there will be a total of 5 of us. We were thinking Boardwalk if we could get it 7 months out, but I figured maybe you guys would have other better suggestions from experience.

Thanks,
Carrie

toodles

I think BLT would be easiest especially if spending most time at MK and EP. I am not sure but I don't think a bus can hold more than 2 wheelchair/ECV at a time. Boardwalk or Beach Club Villas would also be good for EP and Hollywood Studios. I have not stayed at any of these yet. We have a reservation for BLT in September.

pixarprincess

I think you really need to choose based on where you plan on spending the most time. MK, maybe Contemporary or Grand Floridian is a better choice. HS and Epcot, Beach Club or Boardwalk is a better option then. AK, the AKL makes a lot of sense. If you plan on spending a lot of time at downtown disney it may be best to stay at Saratoga. I will also say we stayed at OKW our last trip and the room was HUGE so it may be room sizes or amenities at said resort that is most important to you. For us we dont spend a ton of time in the room so this is not as big a deal for us.

cboyer

I would think either BLT or a EP area resort. Either one you will have easy access to two parks and bus to the other two. EP would be easy from either, so it really depends on if you are spending more time at DHS or MK.

carrie

Thanks. I think you are right about 2 ECV's per bus at a time. Am I right in thinking the monorail can handle more ECV's at a time? Maybe in separate cars, but at least we'd all be on the same vehicle.

We'll probably be spending 2 days at MK and 1 day at each of the other 3 parks and a couple of off days where we will probably hit DTD for some shopping. I'm guessing they will be able to handle DTD without an ECV/wheel chair.

Carrie

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Many of the buses can now fit 3 ECVs but there are still some that can only fit 2.

Monorails have I think 3 or 4 cars (the center ones) they use for mobility devices and each car can snugly fit 2 ECVs.

The boats between MK, GF, and Poly can't take ECVs but the monorail can so it's not a big deal to not be able to take the boat.

I think half the boats between VWL and GF can fit ECVs. I'm not sure how many per boat. Buses are an option to MK from VWL.

I can't recall how many ECVs can fit in the boats between DHS and Epcot. Hopefully somebody else will know. At least you have the option to walk/wheel to those parks if you're staying at one of those resorts.

Note that if you have a manual wheelchair then you don't need as many wheelchair spots providing the person can transfer to a seat. It's really easy to fold manual wheelchairs and hold it like you would a stroller. If you've got 2 ECVs and a manual wheelchair then you can get on a bus that only has 2 tie down spots. Make sure though that if you go with a manual wheelchair for somebody that you have a member of your party that has the stamina to push an adult all day in a manual wheelchair.

carrie

Thank you for that great info Trudy! My boyfriend can definitely push a wheel chair around (which will slow him down so I don't have to chase him!). The only problem would come in if my parents wanted to do their own thing and we split up. My mother currently has a fold up wheel chair but she can walk. It's mostly a stamina thing for the 3 of them. It will definitely be a different kind of trip for us. We are used to running around. I'm kind of looking forward to taking it slow so I can actually see stuff! When I'm chasing my boyfriend, who walks like Speedy Gonzalez, all I can do is watch where he is going. There were so many new things I saw the trip we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour! :)

Carrie

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
I didn't notice your DTD comment. DTD is BIG. Since their issues are stamina related, they'll probably want their mobility devices there as well. I can't recall how many ECVs can fit on the boats from SSR and OKW to DTD but there definitely were tie down spots.

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
I'm guessing they will be able to handle DTD without an ECV/wheel chair.
I was just going to chime in and say they'll probably be doing as much or more walking at DTD as you would at the parks.

When I'm doing things with my mom (she's 83), I have to look at "hassle factor", she fusses and gets frustrated when a plan is complicated. She also can get upset at herself when she feels like she's holding people up, or if she feels rushed by employees or other customers.

I don't know how old your parents are, or how they deal with travel, but if they have mobility issues and they don't want anyone to feel like they're a bother, then it would make sense to try and get them somewhere that they will have the least of these kinds of issues.

With your schedule it seems like BLT makes the most sense, followed by one of the Epcot-area resorts.

With BLT you've got MK in monorail or walking distance, and Epcot two monorail rides away. That leaves only two parks that you'll need to deal with buses. You've also got two other really nice resorts a monorail ride away if they're feeling the need to do a bit of exploration.

The downside to the Epcot option is that you'll need to do the bus for anything but Epcot. The plus for that area is that there's more to do around there with a bunch of dining options and the Boardwalk area when they're not in the parks.

carrie

I know DTD is big, but I figure they will probably only spend a couple of hours there and they can sit and rest if they want to. I also figure they probably won't want to cover the whole thing in one shot. But I could be wrong. They are all in their early/mid-60's. Both mothers have fibramyalgia and my dad recently had knee surgery (so he may actually be OK for walking by January, just slow, which is fine). So they can all walk, it's just a matter of how long they can walk/stand.

BLT may make the most sense. It wasn't my first option (and really not my preference at all) but if it makes 3 days easier rather than 2, it's probably the way to go if we can get it.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Carrie

Last edited: